Trouble with new Browser Extension Authorization - matching code does not appear

pwnell
pwnell
Community Member
edited October 2016 in Mac

Guys, you are usually very good with your updates but this morning you caused me a major headache with your browser authorization. It did not work as you intended. I upgraded, and all three browsers asked to match the auth code (FireFox, Safari and Chrome). However - there was NOWHERE in 1Password any matching code or any instruction as to how to validate this code and approve it. I even quit / reopened 1Password, reinstalled the extensions - nothing. Trying to open 1Password's context sensitive menu failed as no windows opened. Only after reading on the forums here did I see someone click the 1Password menu bar icon (1Password mini) and then get a confirmation code to approve.

I did that but then it messed up even more - it only required me to authorize Chrome, for FireFox it required me to reinstall the extension and for Safari it worked after authorizing Chrome.

Very confusing and buggy.

1Password Version: 6.3.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pwnell

I'm very sorry for all the trouble that the new authentication feature has caused to you :( Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us, we're working to improve this process and experience and your feedback is very much appreciated! If you want to read a little bit more about this to get a better idea of what it is about, I'd recommend you to take a look at this forum post: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/70823/security-background-for-6-3-4-extension-authorization#latest

Thank you very much for your patience :chuffed:

• dkg
    dkg
    Community Member

Same here - gross error in implementation!

1 - ANNOUNCE that such a 'feature' is being added before customers blindly update

2 - Have a feature that actually WORKS rather than scaring users that our password banks have been exposed.

3 - NOTIFY users when you realize your 'feature' is a nasty bug.

:-(((

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dkg,

Thank you for taking the time to write in with your feedback! I'm sorry if you ran into any trouble with the new browser extension authorization, and I'll be happy to address your concerns:

1 - ANNOUNCE that such a 'feature' is being added before customers blindly update

We did - this was in the release notes for 1Password 6.3.4. If you're using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, the release notes appear in the same window that gives you the option to install the update. If you're using the Mac App Store version of 1Password, the release notes appear in the Updates section of the Mac App Store, which is also where you find the option to install the update. If you'd like to see those release notes again, just use the above link.

2 - Have a feature that actually WORKS rather than scaring users that our password banks have been exposed.

We did a lot of testing on this feature before releasing it in an update, and it worked correctly for us. Unfortunately, even though a new feature might work well for us, that doesn't mean it will work perfectly for everyone else, because it's impossible to test on every possible Mac configuration. In this case, some customers ran into bugs with the new extension authorization that we didn't encounter during our testing, and if you are one of the customers who ran into one of those bugs, I truly apologize for the inconvenience!

Our developers worked as quickly as they could to fix those bugs, and released version 6.3.5 just a couple days after the release of 6.3.4. You didn't mention what version you currently have installed, but if you're using 6.3.4 and are having trouble with the extension authorization, please make sure you install the update for version 6.3.5 and try again.

3 - NOTIFY users when you realize your 'feature' is a nasty bug.

For most customers, the new browser extension authorization feature worked as well for them as it did for us during testing. Of those who experienced a bug with that feature, most should now be able to complete the authorization since we released 6.3.5 with fixes. We also explained those bugs & fixes in the release notes for 1Password 6.3.5.

Again, if you ran into one of the problems with this feature, I do apologize! I don't know if you're currently having any trouble with the new browser extension authorization feature as you didn't give us any details about that. If you need help with that, please don't hesitate to let us know - we're here for you! :)

• ksmithson
    ksmithson
    Community Member

Tried to update with browser authorization and all i got was 123456 in the browser and different numbers from the app. Tried this several times and again got the same number in the browser. Eventually I just approved the use of the extension in both Firefox and Safari. I expect that all my data is now in the NSA hands. So what's up with the application?

• @ksmithson,

My understanding of the 123456 is that the browser is an older version of that particular browser(firefox?) and that it just fails to display the correct value there.

Rudy

• ksmithson
    ksmithson
    Community Member

Turns out is was Sophos preventing some internal communication with the browser. Did a bit more research on the forum etc and picked up the info abut Sophos and boom it worked. I've never had to do any of this for any browser extension installation so I had not expected the problem. The updates are usually painless..this one was a bit less painless

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for following up to let us know what the problem turned out to be! Software like Sophos can block the connection between the 1Password extension and 1Password mini, which can cause a problem like this. I'm glad you were able to find help on our forums to get it all working correctly!

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.