How can I stop the 1Password app in the menu bar opening Chrome by default?

Options
wilpercy
wilpercy
Community Member

Clicking on a password in the mini app opens a page in Chrome. Where is the setting which allows me to make Safari the default in this situation?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.3.4
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.12
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:setting a default browser

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wilpercy

1Password will open the site on your computer's default browser, you cannot change the behavior exclusively for items opened for 1Password. If you want to change your computer's default folder you can do so by going to System Preferences and then on General. The option for "Default web browser" is by the middle of the page :chuffed:

• wilpercy
    wilpercy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for responding, Pilar.
    I followed your suggestion and wasn't surprised to find that my default browser is set as Safari. That's why I was confused by 1Password's jumping to Chrome. Can anyone suggest how I resolve this problem?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wilpercy,

Hmm, that's definitely strange! I haven't heard of that happening before, but we'll do our best to help you figure this out.

Just to make sure we understand, please let us know a few more details:

• Is Chrome already open on your Mac when you choose a Login item from 1Password mini? (If so, are you using Chrome when you open 1Password mini?) Or do you mean that Chrome is closed, but when you select a Login from 1Password mini, it launches Chrome and the website?
    • When you choose a Login item from 1Password mini, do you click on its name from the list of all Login items, or do you click on the website field in that Login's item details?
    • If you double-click on a Login item from the main 1Password app, which browser is opened?
    • If you click a website link from another app (like Mail, TextEdit, Notes, etc), which browser is opened?
    • When did this problem first start happening? Was it opening in the correct default browser before that?

Thanks! :)

• wilpercy
    wilpercy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew_AG,

Or do you mean that Chrome is closed, but when you select a Login from 1Password mini, it launches Chrome and the website?

-Yes, Chrome is closed.

When you choose a Login item from 1Password mini, do you click on its name from the list of all Login items, or do you click on the website field in that Login's item details?

-Neither. I select a Login item from the list and click on the Copy field next to the website's password. That process launches Chrome. I just tried clicking on the website address and the page opened in Safari. Selecting the Login item from the list also launches the right page in Safari. It seems that I've been missing the simplest step. But that still doesn't explain why Chrome launches if I copy a password. Interestingly, if I copy a password from Login details in the main 1Password app (or double click an item from the Login list,) Chrome does not launch

If you double-click on a Login item from the main 1Password app, which browser is opened?

-Safari.

If you click a website link from another app (like Mail, TextEdit, Notes, etc), which browser is opened?

-Safari.

When did this problem first start happening? Was it opening in the correct default browser before that?

-I only noticed it in the past month or so and finally got round to addressing the issue. I think there was no problem before that but perhaps that's because I clicked on a Login item name rather than the Password Copy field.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @wilpercy! And sorry for the delayed response.

I mistakenly thought you had meant you were clicking on a website address in a Login item. In that case, it would at least explain why a browser was being launched, even if it was the wrong browser. But if you're just copying a password, it shouldn't be launching a browser at all. So I must admit that I'm pretty stumped as to how this could be happening.

Do you happen to be using a clipboard manager app on your Mac? Or some other app that monitors the clipboard and reacts differently depending on what is copied or from where?

• wilpercy
    wilpercy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Drew.

I'm using iClipboard but its Preferences make no distinction between apps monitored/actions required.

Now that I'm clear about the procedure I can rely on that to open Safari, so perhaps we can leave it at that, but if you want to dig deeper and I can help answer any questions I'll try.

Regards,
    Will

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wilpercy,

Since 1Password isn't programmed to launch a browser when you copy a password, my best guess at this point is that iClipboard has something to do with this. However, I'm not familiar with iClipboard and don't know exactly what to look for in its settings. But if it has any option to launch Chrome under certain circumstances, perhaps you can try disabling that option to see if it makes a difference?

Now that I'm clear about the procedure I can rely on that to open Safari, so perhaps we can leave it at that, but if you want to dig deeper and I can help answer any questions I'll try.

We're happy to continue looking into this to see what we can do, although it sounds to me like there must be some other software which is set to launch Chrome under certain circumstances. So the next step would likely be to have you send us a diagnostics report from your Mac (we'll explain how to do that if you'd like us to look further into this). It's ultimately up to you, so just let us know! :)

• wilpercy
    wilpercy
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your offer to pursue the matter but I think I'm okay as it is now.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem! We're here for you if you need anything else. Take care! :)

• wilpercy
    wilpercy
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Unrelated to the OP, but when I click on the link to this forum contained in emails alerting me to your replies it works on the iMac but leads to a blank page on my iPhone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wilpercy: Weird. Could you try once more on your iPhone, and then either post the URL you find in the address bar here, or send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can investigate and report any bugs to the forum software vendor. Thanks for letting us know!

• wilpercy
    wilpercy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,
    I tried again and got the main page of the discussion forum (https://discussions.agilebits.com.) I wasn't taken to this thread.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wilpercy: Thanks for letting me know. Unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce this. I'm getting a link to the comment in the notification, and I'm taken directly to that page in Safari when I tap it. The only difference on my iPhone from what I see here on my Mac is that it's formatted differently for the smaller screen using the responsive design. For example:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/336709#Comment_336709

So either you've got an old version (iOS/Safari), something else is interfering (content blocker?), you're using a 3rd party browser/mail client, or something is simply wrong on your iPhone. Can you tell me more about what you're using?

This discussion has been closed.