Edit Login functionality disabled [Local vaults are read-only at the moment]

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I cannot edit a login in 1Password 6 for Windows. It's read only at this point. Interestingly, a login created with the 1Password Web App is editable with 1Password 6 but the AgileKeychain version is not. I was attempting to modify my AgileKeychain vault with 1Password 6 Win.

1Password Version: 1Password 6.1.272
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Starmatrix
    Starmatrix
    Community Member

@wkleem I'm not a Agilebits rep, but I can share what I know so far.

It sounds like you're trying to edit a local or Dropbox/OneDrive version of an AgileKeychain vault that you previously created using 1Password 4 for Windows and have now opened it in 1Password 6 for Windows.

Hopefully I've got that correct. If so, then I have good news and bad news. The good news is that 1Password 6 for Windows is a brand new app completely rebuilt from the ground up and has been in development for a few months now and making very fast progress. It currently is the only Windows app that has full read/write/edit/create support for 1Password for Team/Families/Individuals using the new 1Password online account services.

The bad news is that because this is a fairly new app still in development, there are still many areas that are just being built and are not yet up to full speed. That includes the ability to create and edit OPVault and AgileKeychain vaults on a local, Dropbox or OneDrive location.

So what does that mean? Basically it means, unless you have not yet signed up for 1Password for Teams/Families/Individuals and plan on paying for a subscription, but rather only want to keep using a local/Dropbox/OneDrive type of vault, then you should really stay at the version of 1Password that you currently have (probably 1Password 4?). The developers hope to have the ability to edit and create local vaults in 1Password 6 for Windows sometime in the next few months.

Hope that helps!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

Thanks for the reply. I already have a Teams subscription. I was hoping that 1Password 6 for Windows development would be further along to include the editing of AgileKeychain vaults by now. I have 1Password on everything except Android, which I don't use.

I'l have to wait for it then.

• MikeT
    edited October 2016

Hi @wkleem,

Starmatrix got most of the details right but we're not providing any official timeframes on when anything would be done, that means, next few months is not a promise from us. Full support for local vaults is one of the most requested features but we are not going to focus on local vaults only, we will continue to improve and polish 1Password 6 with features it needs (which would work with both local vaults/1Password.com accounts) and along the way, we'd be making incremental changes to add the full local vault support. For an example, the ability to create custom fields and sections needs to be implemented sooner, so you could use TOTP too and this would greatly benefit the changes going into writing to local vaults as well.

For our curiosity, are you using the local vault file to share with other folks that don't have 1Password.com accounts?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

For our curiosity, are you using the local vault file to share with other folks that don't have 1Password.com accounts?

I am the only person using 1Password, currently. The local vault cumulatively goes back to 1Password 2 on a Mac.

• Hi @wkleem,

The reason I ask is that you can migrate the content of your local vaults to your 1Password account if you want.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

Hi @MikeT

I am doing a migration, dividing up the logins into specific vaults as I go. I haven't seen a duplicate logins clean up function in the products (Web App/Windows) like there is on the MAC version yet.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, indeed. That's something we'd like to add in the future, but for now you can at least move your data over to your 1Password Account so you'll be able to edit there. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@brenty

Is there a security audit feature in the 1Password Web App like there is in 1Password for Mac then?

Thanks.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

@MikeT @brenty

As I have legacy devices that relies on the AgileKeychain/OPVault vaults, I'll be keeping the Standalone and the Subscription versions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Is there a security audit feature in the 1Password Web App like there is in 1Password for Mac then?

@wkleem: Not yet, but it's something we hope to add in the future!

As I have legacy devices that relies on the AgileKeychain/OPVault vaults, I'll be keeping the Standalone and the Subscription versions.

Ah, understood. I probably should have guessed that. Be sure to let us know if there's anything else we can help with! ;)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

Hi

There is an issue which, my guess is, will be remain unresolved. I used 1Password Teams and 1Password Extension 4.6.2.2 but with AgilePAgent active for 1Password 4 for Windows. Chrome extension is unable to fill the Master Password from Chrome for https://start.1password.com/signin.

Copy and fill works, however. I hope but am doubtful that this issue will be resolved with the emphasis on 1Password Web and 1Password 6 for Windows.

There is something that I noticed which is when my Personal Vault was empty. I did changes to other vaults in 1Password Teams and I now noticed that my Personal vault has saved passwords but I don't know where it's from. Orphaned passwords.

• MikeT
    edited October 2016

Hi @wkleem,

That's a filling issue with the 1Password extension itself, which works the same across all 1Password apps on both macOS/Windows/iOS platforms including different versions from 1Password 4 to 1Password 6. Filling improvements goes into the extension updates, which is automatically updated by the browsers and does not require any specific 1Password version.

However, I've just created a new Login item with 1Password 4 on https://my.1Password.com and it works to fill the password with 1Password 4, I also tested older items and it works too. Could you try saving a login item manually with 1Password 4 on your 1Password account site, like https://my.1Password.com if you're using 1Password.com Individuals and see if it works better.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@MikeT,

I only have a Teams account which is what I based my experience on. I will try to save a new login to see what happens next.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for clarifying. Be sure to let us know!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

The simplest was the traditional UserID and Password dialog box. Later it became, like what Teams/Families/Individual is, a split e-mail/UserID/Password scenario which things harder for the user. How does a Password Manager like 1Password cope with these split UserID/passwords?

I would like to send a 1PIF over to the Agilebits Team for diagnostic purposes.

There appears to be an issue with the starting point.

1. Start at https://start.1password.com/signup/plan, proceeding to:
    2. https://start.1password.com/signin

3. Start at "Team name".1Password,com.

Do they require different approaches?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

The other issue is, after becoming logged out, the saved login cannot be used as the master password won't be accepted, subsequently.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

In 1Password 6 Win, copying items out of the primary vault works but deleting unwanted items to trash doesn't work at this point. I thought the issue was just the inability to edit/modify the login data...

• Hey @wkleem,

1. Start at "Team name".1Password,com.
      Do they require different approaches?

You can go directly to "Team name".1Password.com, enter the entire set of login credentials there, and then save a login item manually with 1Password 4. That skips the start.1password.com step.

The other issue is, after becoming logged out, the saved login cannot be used as the master password won't be accepted, subsequently.

That's odd but I'm curious if saving the login item manually on "team name".1password.com directly fixes this.

I thought the issue was just the inability to edit/modify the login data...

Sorry for the confusion. Deleting data falls into this, too.

Please let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Cheers,

Alex

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

That's odd but I'm curious if saving the login item manually on "team name".1password.com directly fixes this.

Hi

I will try a saving to a new login to see what happens.

Thanks.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni

Let us know how it goes @wkleem :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

Hi

It is an odd problem what will require further testing. I've started with my browser cache cleared which is as shown below:

1. E-mail :
    2. Account Key :
    3. Master Password :

The created logins cannot reuse the Account Key. I have to copy the Account Key from 1Password for Windows in order to paste it into the relevant field.

1. E-mail : Can fill
    2. Account Key : Unable to fill
    3. Master Password : Can fill

After logout and then login, the Master Password cannot be re-entered with the login item when it shows in Scenario 1 :
    From "team name".1password.com

1. E-mail : Pre-filled
    2. Account Key : Pre-filled
    3. Master Password : Blank

Save New Login - (tick) Replace Login (replace passwords only keep the other fields) leads to this in Scenario 2 :

1. E-mail : Pre-filled
    2. Account Key : Empty or Pre-filled
    3. Master Password : Filled.
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @wkleem,

Given you have so many different versions of 1Password can you let me know please what version we're referring to here. If the Email and Account Key fields are pre-filled then earlier versions of 1Password did have a bug where it wouldn't fill the Master Password. At the moment the only stable version of 1Password with this fix is 1Password 6 for Windows, 1Password for Mac, iOS and 4 for Windows though are all still using a slightly older version of this shared code.

So if we're referring to 1Password 6 for Windows I'm surprised as it will fill the Master Password for me but I know it won't in 1Password 6.3.5 for Mac. I will be much happier once the various platforms have had a chance to update to a newer version of the shared filling code.

The Account Key is a different matter. Here is is working as intended although I've never been entirely comfortable with the call. If you save a Login item for a 1Password account we only store the Account Key in a custom field. We do so to make sure it's visible but we don't fill it because we don't want people thinking changing the custom field will cause 1Password to use the edited Account Key but we also don't want to only store the Account Key in the web form details which is where it would need to be to fill. It was a trade-off between visible to the user and filling and we went with visibility. This is usually eased by the fact that unless you routinely clear your browser's cookies and cache the browser will store and remember your Email and Account Key for you.

Does this tally with your observations? I'm not 100% confident I followed everything you wrote so I just want to make sure I am answering your question fully here.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables,

I apologise for any confusion.

I am using and migrating to 1Password for Teams. I also use both 1Password 4 and 6 for Windows for legacy reasons. Among the versions that I'm using, 1Password 4 is the most feature complete version. I am predominantly on Windows and iOS. I do clear the browser cache habitually. I do also have 1Password 6.5 on the Mac but I am not using the Mac as often now.

Does this tally with your observations? I'm not 100% confident I followed everything you wrote so I just want to make sure I am answering your question fully here.

Yes it does answer the question.

I for one look forward to feature parity with the Mac OS version of 1Password.

• Hi @wkleem,

Great, we definitely need to figure out how to tackle the account key issue. It is an issue on all platforms but we hope to have a great fix everywhere soon.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Thanks. Mike,

I suppose there are issues for everyone but long term users users like me, especially, will notice.

• We really appreciate your comments, thoughtful critique, and continued support, @wkleem!

• ibrokemypie
    ibrokemypie
    Community Member

so to be clear, 6 is currently useless to anyone who bought onepassword without the subscription?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Unless you're like me and have an insatiable curiosity for new things, it may not be of interest to you if you're using local vaults, since those are read-only until full support is complete.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

I wouldn't say that it is completely useless. 1Password 4 for Windows could not integrate with the 1Password Web App but 1Password 6 can. 1Password 6 for Windows can work with OPVault and OneDrive but 1Password 4 won't touch those. Those are from what I remember. I am probably missing some things.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Ah, thank you! That's an excellent point.

I will add though that while 1Password 4 is not able to connect to OneDrive directly, it can still use a vault (AgileKeychain or OPVault) in the OneDrive folder on your PC.

Eventually we want 1Password 6 to be an unequivocal recommendation for all Windows users, but it still has limitations when it comes to local vaults so 1Password 4 is the best bet for those for now.

This discussion has been closed.