iCloud Keychain Autofill?

Options
FlyboyZR1
FlyboyZR1
Community Member

I'm a new 1password user and trying to figure out how to use it most efficiently. After generating a new password with 1password and entering on a website iOS asks if I'd like to save the password with icloud keychain and autofill on all devices? Should I be doing this and is it secure? Will doing this interfere with 1password at all?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FlyboyZR1: In my experience, iCloud Keychain does not interfere with 1Password for iOS like browser "autofill" can on a computer. On iOS, 1Password is only involved when you directly invoke the extension, so there isn't much of a chance for conflicts.

However, I will say that I generally recommend disabling iOS Settings > Safari > AutoFill > Names and Passwords anyway, because 1) it can be pretty confusing to try to keep track of what you've saved where, and 2) it is nearly impossible to get data out of iCloud Keychain.

I have iCloud Keychain enabled, but mainly use it for non-browser things, such as Wi-Fi credentials and stuff we don't normally think about, like some Continuity features between iOS, watchOS, and macOS.

As far as security, I trust Apple on this, so my concern with the iCloud Keychain is mainly practical: I like having full control over my data and when and where it's used.

Really, it's up to you though. I just wanted to share what works for me. Let me know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.