unable to install 1Password-4.6.1.safariextz

This morning I installed the update 1Password 6 Version 6.5.BETA-24 (650024) AgileBits Beta and relaunched without any problems. I then got a popup requesting me to install the 1Password extension for Safari. When trying to launch the extension I get an error message. The update extension popup keeps reappearing at a frequency that means I can't use Safari until there is some way to update the extension or rollback to a previous version.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:unable to install 1Password-4.6.1.safariextz

Comments

• Hi there,

I have the same problem. I tried the beta version of your extension 4.6.2.b2 and then 4.6.1. I then uninstalled the extension in Safari and tried to reinstall it and now it doesn't show up under extensions at all even though it asks me whether I want to trust the provider when I try to install it.

I'm using Safari 10.0.1 (12602.2.14.0.7) and am running macOS Sierra Version 10.12.1 Beta (16B2553a).

• ag_kevinag_kevin Junior Member

Team Member

Hi @emanuel @physiomedia ,

I have the same issue on one of my Sierra installations as well. Unfortunately, this seems to be a problem with Safari and/or macOS that, so far, we haven't found a solution to. In the meantime, I suggest removing the 1Password extension from Safari and installing it from the Safari Extension Gallery at https://safari-extensions.apple.com - installing 4.6.1 there seems to work fine and should work with the latest beta.

Regards,
    Kevin

• poorgradstudentpoorgradstudent Junior Member

I have the same problem but have unfortunately been unsuccessful at resolving it. Uninstalling the extension and then re-installing it via Safari's Extension Gallery was also unsuccessful. Each time, after downloading the extension and double-clicking on it, i receive an error dialog box that says there was an error trying to install the 1password extension in Safari. I have installed this update in Chrome and it worked fine.

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

I take it back. Chrome isn't working either. It has said it installed successfully, but every time I re-open chrome it presents me with the "compare this code to the one in 1password" screen.

My other point of confusion is that there is no corresponding code presented when I unlock either the 1password app or the menubar version of 1password.

Would really appreciate any suggestions to resolve this issue. Thank you.

• Arg. Didn't work @ag_Kevin. The Safari Extensions Gallery has version 4.6.1. The popup dialogue box keeps asking to install 4.6.2 (or 4.6.2b). I've tried disabling automatic update in Safari Extensions and in 1Password in an attempt to kill those popups. No luck, they are still haunting me.

• Thanks, for me the problem seems to be solved by installing the version from Safari's Extension Gallery. I'm using 1Password 6 Version 6.5.BETA-24 (650024) and the 1Password 4.6.1 extension downloaded from Safari's Extension Gallery.

Team Member

Hi @poorgradstudent ,

FYI, unlocking has no bearing on this process at all. The best thing to do is to quit 1Password by holding down the control key while selecting Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the 1Password menu. Then quit Chrome. Start 1Password again and then start Chrome again. It should then present both codes, one in a window in the corner, and the other in one of your browser tabs. If it doesn't happen right away, click on the 1Password icon in the Chrome toolbar to "kickstart" it.

If that doesn't work, please describe in detail what happened (or didn't happen).

Cheers,
    Kevin

Team Member

Hi @physiomedia ,

When you are running the beta of 1Password , it will suggest the latest beta of the extension, but 4.6.1 from the gallery will work. I suggest deleting (not disabling) the 1Password extension, going to the gallery at https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C and installing from there.

It should then give you the authorization popup and tab showing the matching code.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

Up to now, the window in the corner with the code had never shown up, despite the browser always displaying the code.

I restarted but to no avail. I did, however, install the latest Sierra upgrade late yesterday and that fixed the issue (whatever it was).

I appreciate your anwer

Team Member

Glad to hear it worked out!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• @ag_kevin Some more interesting behaviour that might help you find a solution. I usually run three different browsers at the same time, Safari, Firefox and Chrome. When all of this misbehaviour started I quit all but Safari and followed your suggestion re the gallery. I then started Firefox. While using Safari I would continue to get the dialogue box suggesting that I needed to upgrade the extension, and when I clicked on it it took me to the Safari updater. This is likely because Safari is currently my default browser. Yes, there is a link on the page to install other browser extensions but the big green button is what attracts your attention, but it is misleading/confusing. It was only when I once again quit Firefox that the dialogue box went away. Today I relaunched Firefox and the popup reappeared. I've reinstalled the browser extension for Firefox but the authentication fails as the browser is showing 123456, which I assume is a default, that does not match the 1Password Authorisation. So I will not use 1PW in that browser for the moment. It does look like the popup problem has resolved though.

Team Member

Hi @physiomedia ,

123456 is indeed the default. Are you running the latest version of Firefox? If it needs updating or is in the middle of updating, that could explain it. Try quitting all of your browsers, leave 1Password running, and then just start Firefox. If the authorization popup does not appear, click on the extension. What happens then?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member

Hi @physiomedia,

Kevin asked if you're running the latest version of Firefox and this additional info may be helpful:

49.0.2 is the current stable build so if it's claiming to be up-to-date with an earlier version, like it did for niklas1 and other folks, you'll want to manually download Firefox and overwrite the older version in your /Applications folder.

This discussion has been closed.