I get the message "1Password requires authorization" every time I open the browser

best_graphic_ever
best_graphic_ever
Community Member
edited December 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

every time I start Safari I get the message to authorize. I that necessary or can I authorize just once?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.12
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:should I get the message "1Password requires authorization" every time I open the browser

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

Hi @best_graphic_ever,

I'm sorry you keep seeing that message every time you open Safari! We'll be happy to help you solve this.

Is that message showing you a 6-digit code? If so, you will only see that until you complete the authorization, and then it will continue to work without asking you again (unless you uninstall/reinstall the extension in the browser). When you see that in the browser, you should also see a dialog from 1Password which shows the same code as well as an 'Authorize' button. We have more information about that here: If you see "1Password requires authorization" in your browser

If you don't see the prompt from 1Password with the matching 6-digit code, please make sure you install the latest update for 1Password, which is currently 6.3.5. You should also quit Safari, then reopen it after 1Password 6.3.5 has been installed. If you still have trouble after the update, please reboot your Mac, then open Safari and try again.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• best_graphic_ever
    best_graphic_ever
    Community Member

I do see the 6-digit code and click on the 'Authorize' button. But if I quit Safari and then open it again, I see that same message but with a different code. If I just close the browser that doesn't happen. So my question to be precise, is, do I need to 'Authorize' every time I quit and re-open Safari? Or if I shut my Mac off and restart, is that message supposed to come on the screen again?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @best_graphic_ever,

Hmm, that's very strange - you shouldn't be asked to do that every time you open Safari. As I explained above, you should only need to authorize it once. After that, you shouldn't get that authorization prompt again unless you uninstall & reinstall the 1Password extension (or if you install it in a different web browser).

Have you tried restarting your Mac? If not, please try that, then open Safari to see if you're asked about the 6-digit code. If you are, authorize it one more time, then quit and reopen Safari. Are you asked to authorize it again?

• egrobichaud
    egrobichaud
    Community Member

I've got to say, this is becoming such an annoying nuisance I'm actually considering switching away from 1Password after many many years as a loyal customer. Admittedly I am a web developer and use multiple browsers, but still -- it seems like I"m CONSTANTLY authorizing this stupid thing, over and over and over again. I authorize the various browsers but it seems almost every day I pop open a browser and get the authorization pop-up again... it's disruptive. Unless you're updating this app multiple times a week, something is wrong. It's not just once per browser, it's constant... I just keep getting this popup every time I turn around. It seems like a glitch, because this can't be the way it's SUPPOSED to work... I can't imagine a developer thinking this is a good idea...

• PaisleyE
    PaisleyE
    Community Member

I love 1Password, but I'll second egrobichaud. I'm also a developer and having to constantly re-authorize is a complete interruption to workflow! After every restart, I'm forced to re-authorize it. Also, as if just re-authorizing on every browser re-open wasn't bad enough, I have two different User accounts on my laptop and it forces me to re-authorize for each account every time!
    Surely that's not correct. Please look into this problem and write a fix. Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@PaisleyE: @egrobichaud: That's interesting. Are you by any chance resetting these browsers, reinstalling the extension, or simply updating a lot — perhaps due to prerelease builds? Please let me know!

• egrobichaud
    egrobichaud
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

@brenty No, I am not dealing with any pre-release builds or reinstalling. To further clarify, we are a web development firm but my role is more just reviewing websites before they go live. (I'm the owner of the firm so these days I'm not doing any of the hands on development anymore, my team does that. But I always give everything a once over before it goes live.) so I'm not the typical hands on developer that's updating software or working with pre-release stuff. My comment was more that because we are developing stuff I do use multiple browsers (safari, chrome, Firefox etc) so it can definitely seem more prevalent because I'm doing it three times. But I'm aware of that and look past that. When I boot up my computer and go into Safari for the first time it makes me Authorize. Then I open chrome and I'd have to do the same thing and I open Firefox and I have to do the same thing. Intellectually, I consider that all just one occurrence. But it's literally multiple times a day or at least once a day it keeps making me authorize this. It feels like every time I turn around I'm re authorizing again. Stated another way - i've had to go through this process again, pretty much every single day since this update came out.

• Hi @egrobichaud ,

The only reason I can think of it doing this is that something is preventing the 1Password extension from writing to the browser's local storage. Can you check something in Safari:
    1. Go to Preferencs
    2. Click on Privacy
    3. Which option is set for "Cookies and Website data"?
    3. Click on "Manage Website Data" and search for 1password.com - do you see an entry there?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

To follow up on what Kevin said, I should add that 1Password isn't using the same local storage that would be available to any random website using the HTML5 localStorage APIs. In Safari in particular, there are a couple of APIs for us. We use settings to store the randomly generated extension identifier and then we use secureSettings to look up the authorization information based on that identifier. The settings API stores the settings in Safari's preferences plist. I found mine in com.apple.SafariTechnologyPreview.Extensions but in most other cases, it should just be in com.apple.Safari.Extensions. The secure settings are stored encrypted, but I have not been able to ascertain the location. This is probably something that Apple does not want us digging around in… ;)

So, the first thing we need to do is make sure that the extension id is persisting between Safari relaunches. The easiest way is to run this command in the Terminal application:

defaults read | grep -E -e "(OPExtensionIdentifier|OPXAuthInfo)"

You'll see multiple OPXAuthInfo entries and you should see one OPExtensionIdentifier entry. The value for this should just be a hexadecimal string. For example, here's mine: A3BA0321FEED6BBFCF66D1DC4D2EA470. Then you'll need to make sure that this OPExtensionIdentifier value is also being listed in the OPXAuthInfo list. If the identifier is not found in both places, 1Password will treat it as a new authorization and proceed accordingly. So, it will be important for us to understand which side is not properly storing the information. It is also possible that Safari is storing the identifier but something is going wrong with storing or retrieving the secure settings, but this should be a good place for us to start the investigation.

Let us know what you find!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• egrobichaud
    egrobichaud
    Community Member

by way of follow-up, i noticed last night 11/27 that I suddenly had to start re-authorizing again on my laptop. Instead of sleeping I had done a full shutdown. And then today 11/28 I had to play the whole same game again in my desktop iMac. I had not reset anything, not cleared any caches, had not installed anything or any updates. Now that said, I happened to notice that on 11/23 you issued an update to 1Password -- I had not installed it anywhere yet... but maybe the browser extensions install themselves automatically when you do new updates? (that's just a guess). Either the update or the fact that I had done a full shutdown and restart because of Thanksgiving holidays, SOMETHING made it start authorizing again.

• egrobichaud
    egrobichaud
    Community Member

For Jaime:

Erics-iMac27:~ eric$ defaults read | grep -E -e "(OPExtensionIdentifier|OPXAuthInfo)"
    "OPXAuthInfo.78DC2AB3682859DFC4C70B8BFD1656BF" = {
    "OPXAuthInfo.A57BAD5D6C8657C2772D8237F37B9B28" = {
    "OPXAuthInfo.C1519F0600AC50B65EB6BCCCC7AA9A00" = {
    OPExtensionIdentifier = "\"78DC2AB3682859DFC4C70B8BFD1656BF\"";

Erics-iMac27:~ eric$

• chrisdressler
    chrisdressler
    Community Member

I'll join the chorus--this started happening to me two days ago. Now every time I launch Safari, I have to re-authorize the browser extension. I've tried re-starting, re-installing extension, etc., but nothing is working.

• Steviestar
    Steviestar
    Community Member

Nothing substantive to add other than +1. I have this same issue with Safari (and only Safari). Reinstall hasn't helped.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @egrobichaud, @chrisdressler, and @Steviestar,

To help us figure out why this is happening, I'd like to ask you each to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see the reports in our inbox.

You should each receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see your reports we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• Steviestar
    Steviestar
    Community Member

Thanks, Drew! Just sent off the report to the BitBots.

Cheers,
    Stephen

• chrisdressler
    chrisdressler
    Community Member

I just sent off the report to BitBots as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Steviestar, @chrisdressler: Thanks! I see that we've received your emails, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: KMM-66516-364, WHI-52458-936

• ajliese
    ajliese
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

+ 1. I am having the exact same issue with Safari on my Mac. I will send a diagnostic report to BitBots as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ajliese: Thank you! We'll take a look at that and get back to you! :)

ref: THU-71626-163

• ajliese
    ajliese
    Community Member

My support ID is #THU-71626-163. Thanks in advance for your help.

• camsoft
    camsoft
    Community Member

Please add me to the list, diagnostic report sent though I have the same issue on Chrome (primary browser).

Support ID [#AFD-23818-724].

Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @camsoft! Someone will reply to your email as soon as possible with more information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: AFD-23818-724

• noaht8um
    noaht8um
    Community Member

@Drew_AG I am having the exact same issue as well, except that I cannot get the extension to consistently authorize, even when restarting 1Password and my browser. Let me know if you want my a diagnostics report from me and I'll be happy to send it in.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@noaht8um: Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry that you're experiencing this issue, but you've come to the right place!

Please generate a diagnostics report and send it to support+extension@agilebits.com along with the output of this Terminal command:

defaults read | grep -E -e "(OPExtensionIdentifier|OPXAuthInfo)"

Our extension team is investigating what might be causing these issues for some people, and this should help them get things sorted out for you. Thanks in advance! :)

• Philip Garrett
    Philip Garrett
    Community Member

Any movement on this? Happens to me, too.

• born2dive
    born2dive
    Community Member

I installed 1Password, Mini, an the Safari extension on 2 of my macs. The one mac is behaving as excepted: I got the 6-number authentication request the first time I opened Safari and not since. On the other one, I keep getting the authentication pop-up with a new set of numbers every time I start safari. Not sure how to fix. I am running Mac OS Sierra.

Any idea how to get that fixed?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member

If I remember correctly this is going to be an adblocker / cookie thing.

Try disabling any adblocker and the Safari accept cookies privacy feature thingy. Re-enable them afterwards.

Not 100% sure though.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Philip Garrett,

There isn't a single cause that we're tracking at the moment and instances are so far relatively rare so it's really hard to say. At the moment the best thing to do is send in a diagnostic report so we can at least say if the issue is on the application side or browser side.

This guide will show you how to create a Diagnostic Report.

For 1Password on your Mac

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+extension@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we'll have a better idea of what it might be for you.

• xmarc999
    xmarc999
    Community Member

+1 Me too.

No issues with Chrome, only with Safari. I have sent the diagnostics report as given above.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@xmarc999 It will be useful if you can send in the diagnostics report like Lil' Bobby mentioned this morning if you haven't already. If you have, let us know the ticket ID that BitBot sent you and we'll link things up.

This discussion has been closed.