Sharing pif files from version 6.3.3 with 3.8.22 - is it possible?

Options

I have a MacBook Pro running OS 10.11.6 and I use 1Password 6.3.3. I gave my parents my old MacBook running OS 10.7.5 and the existing 1Password 3.8.22. I have created pif files for them using version 6.3.3 which appear to be incompatible with 3.8.22. Is there any fix or conversion? It would be nice to avoid having to do it all over again (72 password files)

1Password Version: 6.3.3 vs 3.8.22
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: 10.11.6 vs 10.7.5
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:using 1Password 3.8.22 with OS 10.7.5

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cansuite: We made some big changes in 1Password 4 and above, and 1Password 3 simply cannot read that data. And exporting to go backward isn't something we designed around.

So while there isn't anything you can do to produce a "legacy" 1PIF with 1Password 6, you can do something which is much simpler: send them an AgileKeychain vault. Granted, 1Password 3 still won't be able to read the newer data, but so long as you're not trying to give them complex items with custom fields and such, it should be fine. 1Password 3 will read the data in the AgileKeychain which it understands and ignore the rest. After all, it knows how to use that format, and we've kept it around expressly for backward compatibility, since some folks sync with older devices.

To do this, first put the data you want to send them in a separate vault, turn off Help > Tools > Enable OPVault, and then setup Folder Sync. You can then share that vault with them.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.