Can never Authorize Firefox on Mac

Options
jonahlee
jonahlee
Community Member

In Firefox 42.02 on Mac 10.11.6 I get the Authorize your browser on Firefox, I get the window to install the extension, but once it is installed, it just goes back to the same authorize your browser with 1Password, start with installing the extension. I never get the code to show up. And it is the same if I install from the app in the menu for Firefox. I just get stuck in a loop.

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Wifi

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Do you have a specific reason for using Firefox 42? It's quite an old version, and I believe the authorzation process does not work with it.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @jonahlee,

Welcome to the forums! :)

The latest stable release of Firefox on Mac is 49.0.2. Could you please try to download it from the official website and check if it solves the issue with 1Password extension authorisation?

Please get back to us and share the results. Thanks in advance! :+1:

++
    Greg

• jonahlee
    jonahlee
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry that was a typo, it is 49.2.

• jonahlee
    jonahlee
    Community Member
    Options

• jonahlee
    jonahlee
    Community Member
    Options

I have uninstalled it completely, and installed, but each time it just brings me back to installing it again.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonahlee

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this. Could you please try restarting your computer and see if that helps? Please let us know what you find you :chuffed:

• jonahlee
    jonahlee
    Community Member
    Options

No, restarting does the same thing in Firefox, just puts me back into the install loop.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonahlee

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having some trouble. Could you please check if it all works well with another browser, like Safari for example? This will help us narrow down where to look for a solution :chuffed: Please let us know what you find out!

• Robert Black
    Robert Black
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I'm having the exact same problem with installing the extension for 1Password 6.3.5 (MAS version) in Firefox 49.0.2 — every time the1PW browser extension (v4.6.1) is installed, instead of proceeding to the authentication stage, it redirects Firefox to https://agilebits.com/browsers/auth.html and asks me to install the extension again. I have tried restarting both the browser and computer, and I get the same behaviour on both my iMac and MacBook Air (both running macOS 10.12.1). I had no problem installing the 1PW extension for Safari.

• datmansai
    datmansai
    Community Member
    Options

same here, works well on chrome and safari, but never work on firefox latest version, since last 1password update i think.

FYI, i am using macOS 10.12

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. Works fine in safari. Don't know about Chrome. I don't use it. I've been having problems for the past 4-5 days.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Robert Black and @datmansai,

I'm sorry you're also having difficulty with the 1Password extension in Firefox!

In Firefox, please close any open tabs/windows for https://agilebits.com/browsers/auth.html and then quit Firefox. When you re-launch Firefox, that site should automatically open again in a new window or tab if you still need to authorize the 1Password extension. Assuming that page still says to install the extension, try simply reloading it (click the reload button in the address bar, or use the ⌘R keyboard shortcut). Does that make any difference?

If not, please try this:

• Open 1Password and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini.
    • Unlock 1Password when asked for your master password.
    • Open Firefox and go to Tools > Add-Ons.
    • Click the Remove button next to the 1Password extension.
    • Open the following page in Firefox and reinstall the 1Password extension: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions
    • After the extension is installed, restart Firefox when prompted.

When Firefox restarts, what happens? Do you see the same message about installing the extension, or something different this time?

• Robert Black
    Robert Black
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi Drew

1. I restarted FireFox, and the page to “Authorize your browser with 1Password” reappeared - reloading that page made no difference.
    2. I followed the instructions to restart 1Password Mini, unlock 1Password, remove the Firefox extension, reinstall the extension, and restart Firefox — no difference — “Authorize your browser with 1Password” has reappeared.

Oops. Spoke too soon. It's finally taken. One of the tabs in Firefox finally had the page to authorise 1PW. Did so, restarted FF, and now it's worked. Thanks for the help.

• jonahlee
    jonahlee
    Community Member
    Options

I followed all of the directions, but I still come back to the install the 1password browser extension.

• t_stallmann
    t_stallmann
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a similar problem -- Firefox 49.0.2, 1Password 6 Version 6.3.5 (635001). I can successfully authenticate the Firefox addon, but about 1/4 of the time that I click on the 1Password add-on in Firefox a new tab opens with a screen welcoming me to the 1Password for firefox extension, as if it had just newly installed. Less frequently, but still occasionally, I have to re-authorize the plugin. I've uninstalled and re-installed the plug-in, with no change.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Robert Black: Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear you were able to authorize 1Password after all. :chuffed:

@t_stallmann: Reinstalling the 1Password extension will have it require authorization again. Apart from that, there are some other things that can break the authorization so it's required again: "security" software or other extensions interfering with the connection, or resetting browser data, since it will appear to be a new browser again. how about your case? Let me know what you find!

@jonahlee: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action. Thanks in advance! :)

• jonahlee
    jonahlee
    Community Member
    Options

I followed all the instructions but am still stuck in the loop going to install the extension.

• jonahlee
    jonahlee
    Community Member
    Options

OS X 10.11.6, Firefox 49.0.2, 1 Password 6.3.5. And I followed every step that Drew_G gave, but afterwards it always comes back to the re-installing the extension and not allowing me to enter the code, though it works fine in Chrome, but I don't use Chrome.

• jonahlee
    jonahlee
    Community Member
    Options

and Browser estension 4.6.2b2 after I had gone through all the directions once, I did it again and turned on the beta channel.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi @jonahlee,

I'm sorry this continues to be a problem! In order to help us figure out why it isn't working correctly, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.