how do I install 1password on new mac after old one died

Options
huish148
huish148
Community Member

My old desktop mac died, I do have a full time machine back up and I have passwords on both my iPhone and iPad and sync through dropbox so I haven't lost anything. I want to install 1password on my MacBook Pro and when my new desktop arrives install it on there also. Two questions, how do I install on my laptop, can I later install on a new desktop without removing 1password from my macbook pro? It goes without saying I cannot afford to lose all the data I have stored on 1password already.

Thanks

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @huish148

I'm sorry to hear that your old computer died, but it's great that you didn't lose anything :chuffed:

Your 1Password license is issued by person, not by device. This means that you can install 1Password on as many Macs as you use :chuffed: You can download 1Password here: https://1password.com/downloads/. I have resent you your license to your email, so once you've downloaded 1Password you can activate your license by following the link you'll find there :chuffed: You can activate your license on your other computer when you receive it the same way.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else we can help you with :chuffed:

• huish148
    huish148
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that's very helpful. As you can imagine I'm a little paranoid about losing information so can you confirm that when I do download 1password on my lap top and sync through drop box to my iPhone and iPad that I will retain the data that's on the iPhone and iPad. I suspect that to be the case as I input data via all three devices and everything stays in step but I want to be sure as the consequences of being wrong are a large. Thanks

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @huish148

I'm with you on the "better safe than sorry" side of things :chuffed: While I want to confirm for you that your 1Password data will be Synced with your new computer and and you'll be able to access all your items there, you might feel safer also creating a backup before setting it up. You can create a backup on your iPhone and iPad before setting up sync. To do this just go to Settings > Advanced > Create Backup in 1Password. You can find the details here: https://support.1password.com/backups/

Please let us know how all this goes and if you're data is readily available in your new computer :chuffed:

• huish148
    huish148
    Community Member
    Options

That all worked, license was in drop box so I go it from there. The lap tops done and syncs just fine to the mobiles. Thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Pilar, you're very welcome! Thanks for following up to let us know everything worked out well. Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.