Firefox extension authorization

This discussion was created from comments split from: Firefox - looking for the 1Password helper.

Comments

• jasonhuck
    jasonhuck
    Community Member

Same behavior for me running Firefox 49.0.2/Mac with 1Password Version 6.3.5 (635001)/Mac App Store: Browser toolbar button appears but does nothing. Installing add-on puts me in a perpetual loop. Looks like authorization is failing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jasonhuck: I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a separate discussion in the Mac category of the forums since the other thread was about the Windows beta.

It sounds like either you canceled the authorization, it was canceled by something else, or it was blocked entirely and it never had a chance! Do you have "security" software or other extensions which may be interfering? Please remove the 1Password extension and install a fresh copy from the AgileBits website:

1Password browser extensions

This will force 1Password to try to connect so you can authorize it again. I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• kachelblitz
    kachelblitz
    Community Member

Hi,
    I have the same configuration and had the same problem as user jasonhuck since this morning: reinstalling the firefox extension does not help. The google chrome extension does works with no problems but with firefox the process didn't even start. Instead I was stuck in the download loop. This helped me: Download the extension (1Password-4.6.1.xpi) and install it manually from Firefox > Extras > Add ons. Then click on the properties-icon and use "Installiere aus Datei" (I have the German version, so it should name "install from file" or the like). After the manually install I was able to authorize the extension with the 6-digit code. you will be guided to another 1password website where there is a sign "Looking for the 1Password app - The 1Password app must be installed for the extension to work properly." ... and nothing happens again :-) but the extension works fine then.
    cheers
    Michael

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kachelblitz: I'm glad to hear you were able to add it to Firefox manually! Do you know what might have blocked it?

• kachelblitz
    kachelblitz
    Community Member

@brenty: thank you. unfortunately both firefox and 1password were updated on my macbook yesterday so I can't say which app caused the problem. Just to make a point clear: the automatic installation is working but after the installation the authorization process does not start instead there's another request to install the extension (although it's already installed) and it remains useless. Authorization only starts when you install the extension manually.

• jasonhuck
    jasonhuck
    Community Member

@brenty The extension finally prompted me to authorize (on two different machines) and seems okay now. I did not try uninstalling/reinstalling manually. In fact, I wasn't even trying to fix it when the auth prompt appeared, either time, and it had been quite some time since I had last tried. Maybe I just couldn't reach the authorization endpoint from my location temporarily...

• passwordmania
    passwordmania
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

I'm experiencing the same issue described above. Here's what I'm seeing:

• setup - remove (not disable) all plugins and add-ons from firefox.
    • restart firefox
    • go to https://1pw.ca/browser in firefox
    • click big green 'install' button
    • Browser says "agile bits.com: Firefox prevented this site from asking you to install software on your computer", with an "Allow" button
    • Clicking allow results in quick message about download failure, then "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure."

This is on Firefox 49.0.2 on OS X 12.2

• passwordmania
    passwordmania
    Community Member

Update to my post above: I discovered the issue was my anti-virus software's web protection feature. Disabling this feature allowed me to install the 1password firefox add-on in 49.0.2 on OS X

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

thank you. unfortunately both firefox and 1password were updated on my macbook yesterday so I can't say which app caused the problem. Just to make a point clear: the automatic installation is working but after the installation the authorization process does not start instead there's another request to install the extension (although it's already installed) and it remains useless. Authorization only starts when you install the extension manually.

@kachelblitz: Likewise, thanks for clarifying! I am still curious what was blocking the connection initially, but I'm glad to hear that installing the extension manually helped! :)

Update to my post above: I discovered the issue was my anti-virus software's web protection feature. Disabling this feature allowed me to install the 1password firefox add-on in 49.0.2 on OS X

@passwordmania: Ah, thank you so much for the update! I'm aware of at least two "security suites" that have something like this (ESET and Avast), but there are probably others too. Indeed, if something is inserting itself between 1Password and the extension (or your browser and agilebits.com), it is no longer a secure point-to-point communication. 1Password will not transmit your data to anything else, since it's meant for your use alone. Glad to hear you were able to disable that! :scream:

This discussion has been closed.