Accidentally Signed up for License instead of Subscription

I have been intending to sign up for the Family Plan, and the initial trial time ended. So I clicked on the button from the 1Password Mini Menu Bar app that was asking me to pay after the trial period.

I clicked it, and paid from there. I then tried to use my passwords and it still said that I am frozen. Nearest I can tell, I signed up for the License/standalone version, but since it was about the same price for the standalone or an annual Families Subscription payment, I didn't notice the difference.

Can my payment be switched over to the 1Password for Families Subscription?

I am using the version downloaded from the AgileBits website, not the Mac Appstore.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:frozen but paid

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @Xantham,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

We can absolutely help with that. I've refunded your license order, so that you can instead use those funds to subscribe. You'd set up your subscription through the 1Password.com website:

https://start.1password.com/signin

Thanks!

Ben

ref: BO 1004434

• Hi, I've managed to do the same. I paid for the individual license instead of the family subscription. Could you please refund the license order so that I can use the funds for the family subscription?

Thanks.

• JacobJacob

Team Member

@cruisegarmin I'm really sorry there was confusion about what to purchase. I just refunded you for the license so you can subscribe. :)

On a related note, what led you to purchase a license? If there's somewhere we can make this clearer for you and others, we would love to look into it.

• Hi - I've done the same thing as well. My android said the trial had expired so I went to your site and saw that there was a windows app and an android app I had to buy. So I bought both today. While I was trying to get those to work, I got steered into the support for the 1password. com things and ended up installing that as well. I'd much rather have the 1password.com family account. Would you please refund me for the apps?

I think that the app names and site are so similar that I had no idea there were even different products. I started trying to load my data but was following instructions for the 1password.com site instead of the 1password app. It was kind of confusing.

Thanks!

• PilarPilar

Team Member

Hi @jscurnow

I'm very sorry for the confusion with 1Password and the different ways in which it works! If you please send us an email to [email protected] with your forum handle and a link to this thread we'll be glad to help you sort this out so you can enjoy 1Password Families :chuffed:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down your email and get all this sorted out!

• I'm having the opposite problem. My trial just ended and I wanted to purchase a license but I went through Mac App store and paid $64.99. I installed the program but my account is still locked. What do I do now?!

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

People get confused (I guess AgileBits have not worked out how to avoid this). Accounts are by subscription, licences are the non-subscription version. So purchasing a licence won't unfreeze the account.

If you had bought direct from AgileBits they would have refunded you. Buying through the App Store means that you have to try to get a refund from Apple, as AgileBits don't have any information about your purchase.

Meanwhile, note that even with a frozen account you can still access your existing passwords, just can't add new ones or edit old ones.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@jbs203: While we can't refund App Store purchases since it's owned and operated by Apple, shoot us an email at [email protected] with a copy of your receipt and link to this discussion and we'll see what we can do to help. :)

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

the responders are ignoring the fact that you said you intentionally purchased a license

True but not relevant. If the purchase had been direct from AgileBits there is a refund policy. It's the fact that the purchase was from the App Store that complicates things.

With a license, you do not link to a 1password.com account. You need to create a stand alone vault using either Dropbox or iCloud.

Certainly true. But Brenty, who is on the AgileBits staff indicated in his post that he might be able to do something, though he did not say what could be done.

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited November 2016

You are being given advice on how to get a refund for the license you purchased, but the responders are ignoring the fact that you said you intentionally purchased a license.

@Bernfrin: I wasn't ignoring that at all. On the contrary, I was reading that in context of the entire message, and they were seemingly trying to unlock their 1Password Account:

I installed the program but my account is still locked. What do I do now?!

So I was trying to provide next steps so they could get in contact with us to sort things out, whether they'd prefer a license or a subscription. I'm sorry if that threw you off, but my chief concern is helping them get things sorted out so they get what they meant to for their hard-earned money. Cheers! :)

• edited December 2016

I was refunded the subscription fee so that I could instead subscribe to the family account. I don't see any way to do this, I log in and the only option I see is to subscribe to the standard account. Can you please help?

• JacobJacob

Team Member

@cruisegarmin You can subscribe by signing in to your account at 1Password.com, then clicking your family name in the top right and choosing Billing. You'll be able to choose the plans available there and subscribe to the one you prefer.

This discussion has been closed.