can i restore 1password backup from mac in target disk mode

Options
jjkotarski
jjkotarski
Community Member

I have a Mac that will not boot. However, I can access the data in Target Disk Mode. This computer does not sync passwords with my other Macs but uses a locally stored 1password file unique to this computer. Can you tell me where backups of my keychain are stored or what data I need to retrieve from this hard drive to restore my passwords when I wipe the drive and rebuild OSX?

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12
Sync Type: none
Referrer: forum-search:can i restore 1password backup from mac in target disk mode

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jjkotarski: Sure! 1Password backs up your data automatically in its "Backups" Application Support folder. Depending on which version you're using, that will be one of the following:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

or

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

Just copy the newest one and then you can restore from it. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jjkotarski
    jjkotarski
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hmm, I don't seem to have

~/Library/Application Support/ -or-
    ~/Library/Containers/1Password 4/

folders. Does 1Password 6 (AgileBits store not App Store version) store them somewhere else?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jjkotarski,

The only location where the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 6 stores backups is: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

(The Mac App Store version stores backups in the other path Brenty mentioned.)

Keep in mind the ~ in the beginning of the file path indicates your Mac user folder, so you need to make sure you're looking for the Library folder located in Macintosh HD/Users/[your Mac username]/.

Or if the problem is that you don't see a Library folder in your Mac username folder, it's probably hidden (which is the default setting in the operating system). In that case, you can follow these steps:

• In the Finder, click the Go menu and select Go to Folder...
    • Copy and paste (or type) the following text into the Go to the folder field: ~/Library/
    • Click the Go button (or press return/enter)

That will open your username/Library folder, and from there you can look for and open /Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/.

Does that help? If you're still unable to find the Backups folder, please let us know. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.