Unlock with Apple Watch

This discussion was created from comments split from: Auto unlocking 1Password.

Comments

• lmhinman
    lmhinman
    Community Member

I was disappointed when I discovered my AppleWatch could not unlock my iMac because the iMac was too old, but happy to find a program (Near Lock) that allows me to do this. Is there a possibility of having either my iPhone or AppleWatch unlock 1Password every time I sit down at my computer?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lmhinman: I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a separate discussion since that old thread wasn't at all related to the Unlock with Apple Watch feature that was introduced by Apple recently.

It may be possible to do something like this in the future, but it's too early to tell. Actually, I think it's safe to say that it's technically possible, but before we implement a feature like that we really need to consider all of the security ramifications; and if we do it, we need to do it right.

Apple has a bit of an advantage here since they make the OS and can give themselves whatever access they need to not only make it work, but to ensure that it works securely, without having to rely on another party. While we don't have that same level of privilege, I do hope we can do something similar with 1Password in the future. That would be really awesome. :)

• tonyfahey
    tonyfahey
    Community Member

I'd like to see this feature implemented as well. I have a MBP with a finger print scanner but the experience would be a lot more seamless if the watch would unlock it.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know you'd be interested in that, @tonyfahey! I can't make any promises about if or when we might try to implement something like that, but it would certainly be a handy feature. :)

This discussion has been closed.