I need an alternative to Dropbox to use with One Password.

ChristianDan
ChristianDan
Community Member

I have One Password on my iMac, for use on my iMac. I also have One Password on my Android phone, which uses a database on Dropbox. Ideally, I would like to have a copy on a cloud storage, which both devices can use, then I could just sync the copy on the iMac. I was not able to make this happen. I was able to setup automatic sync between the db on Dropbox and the db on iMac. OnePassword db. Again, it would be ideal if I didn't have to sync. Dropbox will not let me go to Basic without taking away sync capabilities.

Question, how many Cloud storage accounts does one need? I have AT&T, Google Drive, One Drive, iCloud, oh, and Amazon already. I would really like to consolidate, down to two, three at most. Each vendor selling products weasels the customer to using the cloud. So I have data in five different Cloud service accounts. I just think Dropbox is too expensive. The only app which needs it is OnePassword.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I need an alternative to Dropbox. It's too expensive. I have 1Password on iMac and Android.

Comments

• ChristianDan
    ChristianDan
    Community Member

I have v 6.3.5 of 1Password. 1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.6.1.90
    1Password extension for Google Chrome.

• ChristianDan
    ChristianDan
    Community Member

1Password for Android v 6.4.1. the version mentioned above is the one on my iMac

• Hey @ChristianDan. Thanks for getting in touch with us today. :)

As far as Dropbox goes, I'm able to sync just fine using the free basic Dropbox account. If you're just using your Dropbox account to sync your 1Password vault, then the free version should be sufficient, and you shouldn't have to pay for the pro plan.

That said, 1Password on Android has support for syncing using local storage or a WLAN server as well. So if you like, you could sync with local storage which creates a local folder on your device's drive, which you can then sync using another third-party sync solution. You could also sync with your Mac using a WLAN server. This method isn't automatic, though, and has a few caveats.

We also have our own hosted service that we've recently introduced. With a 1Password account, your data is stored in our servers, and we sync it for you automatically, so you don't have to worry about any third-party solutions at all. You're welcome to sign up for a free trial and test it out if you like.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have more questions. Thanks!

• ChristianDan
    ChristianDan
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply. Good information. Is there a way to make my existing 1Password on my iMac look and work with a different database - ie. the one stored on dropbox? Currently I have the 1Password app / db stored on my iMac hard drive and the app uses it, and I managed at some point in the last couple of months, or so, to get the two to sync. Thing is I want the Android 1Password data to be the same as the iMac 1Password data. And if they sync with the free version of Dropbox, then it's good news. Thanks!

• Hey @ChristianDan. I'll be happy to help you get your Mac syncing with the same vault in Dropbox.

Please launch 1Password on Android and swipe your finger from the left side of the screen to bring up the navigation drawer, and then tap Settings > Sync. You should see Dropbox sync configured there, and underneath it should show you the sync path, which will look something like this:

/Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

Make note of what you see there. Then make sure you have the Dropbox app installed on your Mac and linked to the same account you're signed into on Android. When Dropbox is linked and running, you should see the little Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen.

Then launch and unlock 1Password on your Mac, and from the menu bar, select 1Password 6 > Preferences, click the Sync tab, and click the up/down arrows you see there to change syncing. If you already have Folder or iCloud selected, you'll need to select None and then click Disable sync. Then click the arrows again and this time select Dropbox.

A Finder window will open up so that you can navigate to your Dropbox folder. Once in your Dropbox folder, locate the 1Password vault (.agilekeychain or .opvault) that 1Password on Android is syncing with and press Enter. That should get your devices on track!

Let me know how it goes!

This discussion has been closed.