Lost data after updating to macOS Sierra

trubane
trubane
Community Member

I did a clean install of macOS Sierra tonight. Before upgrading, I cloned my hard drive, and also confirmed that 1Password was syncing via iCloud. After the upgrade, I downloaded the latest 1Password, installed, and pointed it at iCloud. It found existing data and loaded it - but it is an old vault from 2 years ago; the newest item is from October 2014.

I found this support article - https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/63115/how-to-determine-and-change-vault-location-in-1pw-6 - and looked for my local data on the backup drive, but there is not a 1Password 4 folder in either the top level or user level Library/Application Support directories.

Needless to say (but I will say since I'm frustrated over this) there is critical information I'm missing, and I have to recover it; please advise where to look and how to recover from either iCloud or my backup drive.

Thanks,

Tom

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• trubane
    trubane
    Community Member

Okay, problem sorted. Took a deep breath, then occurred to me to boot from the backup drive, launch 1Password, create backup, then rebooted into Sierra and restored from the backup.

Still would like to know where the data is stored, for future reference.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @trubane

I'm sorry to hear about the scare you went through, but it's great to hear that you got it sorted out and all your data is back in place! There are two different issues here, the first one I'd like to know why you only had such old data in iCloud. I wonder if the iCloud address was correct, and if everything was working correctly with your network... I'm not sure we'll be able to find out now, but it's for sure not normal behavior!

On the other hand, 1Password creates backups on a regular basis, and you can create manual ones too. You can find these backups and then move them to a backup folder, or keep them safe somewhere on this path: /Users/pilar/Library/Application Support/1Password 4
    (Note that you'll have to change Pilar for your own name ;) )

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

With the usual warning that access to your personal Library folder is disabled by default (and you will only see the other Library folder).

To get to your own Library, use the Go menu in the Finder and press the option key.

• trubane
    trubane
    Community Member

Thanks Pilar; as I mentioned in my original post, on my old system (the backed up system) there was no /Users/userName/Library/Application Support/1Password 4 directory. But it does exist on the new macOS Sierra install.

• On behalf of Pilar, you're welcome. :) Glad to hear things are working well again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

To be clear, if you were using 1Password 4 or higher previously, you would't have been able to open the app and do a backup if the "1Password 4" folder was not present; that's where your data resides. So either you had been using an older version, or you simply couldn't view that folder for some reason even though it existed.

In any case, backups are a lifesaver. Cheers! :) :+1:

• DeeCoz
    DeeCoz
    Community Member

I had a similar problem, updating to MacOS Sierra. Six months of data disappeared from the new 1Password. It now jumps from August 2016 to February 2017. Since I was ill during that period, there were only a few instances of updating, and I've been able to reset those as they emerge. Annoying but not tragic. I did run my utilities (CleanMyMac) before doing the upgrade to Sierra but I'm not as savvy as Tom. (I'm a confirmed Mac user because things rarely go wrong, and worst case, the kind people at the Genius Bar will fix it with a smile. And I will check forums like these for help with specific products.)

I did the upgrade of 1Password after the OS upgrade, and went for the family plan because I want to give my husband emergency access to my accounts. I like having 1Password on my iPhone and iPad and browser, and tried to make adjustments that seemed to facilitate that. It was somewhat confusing, and I may have created my own problem. In which case you have some interface issues that could be made more clear. Sorry I can't give direct step by step info about what I did several weeks ago. I'm just backing what others have reported.

So I am coping, but you should know that there is some issue with Sierra upgrades, that the whole backup thing is somewhat confusing to some of us, and that users might make a choice that isn't right for them. I rely on this product for keeping my passwords straight.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DeeCoz: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! I think there's hope though, as neither macOS nor 1Password will delete your data. Even when macOS decides that some apps are incompatible, it just moves them to an archive folder. And I've never heard of it doing something similar with application data. "Cleaner" apps, however, are notorious for deleting data. That's what they're designed to do after all. And what we often see is that they delete 1Password's data when the user removes the app directly or installs a new version (because the old one is removed). So we always recommend against this unless there's a known-good external backup of your data.

However, another possibility is separate databases. Not infrequently we see that someone purchased 1Password from the AgileBits Store or Mac App Store, used it for a while, and then installed the other version and created a separate vault. This often appears like installing the app wiped out the data, when it's just in the other version.

So I definitely agree that there are some places where things can get confusing. We'll continue to work to make 1Password easier to use, and no matter what we're here for you or anyone else who needs assistance. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

This discussion has been closed.