Custom Forms in Version 6

Options
reck
reck
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Something I find a bit limiting in version 4 is the inflexibility of custom sections. With custom fields we can rename and move them around, although not between sections. With sections we can neither rename or move their location. That means to do something as simple as a rename you have to create a brand new section and recreate all the fields and data and then remove the old section.

Presumably this limitation won’t exist in version 6 once custom forms appear?

This has got me thinking about how custom forms would work in version 6. Are you planning to remove the prebuilt rigid forms such as “Amazon S3”, “router”, “Internet provider” etc and allow us more control to create our own forms?

If so will there be any need to have anything else in the New Item menu other than login, password and custom? Actually I guess credit card would have to be separate to allow for filling of credit card details on websites.

If this the direction you’re heading or do you have something else planned?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@reck: Don't forget Identities! :)

Indeed, 1Password did away with many legacy "Wallet" and "Account" types years ago, but they still show up in some of the older apps. And I think that probably tells you where I'm going with this. We'll continue to refine categories and make them more flexible, but it is something that needs to be done over time, and it really isn't possible to have a "clean slate" since there's a lot of history (and legacy devices, OSes, and apps). Slow but surely though, we'll get there.

Thanks for the push on this. We still have a lot of work to do on item editing in the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app, so keep an eye out for updates. :)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Are identities used on form filling as well, don't think i've ever tried? If not can't identities just be a custom form like everything else?

When you talk about legacy I feel like i'm using an application from a time gone by and I really should be using something more modern :)

I'm using the version 4 on PC which still has has all these legacy types.

Why don't you stick the legacy accounts in a folder out the way and mark them as depreciated. These could be set as read-only for backwards compatibility only. A custom form could be used to achieve everything these rigid forms can do and more right? So these could be used going forward instead.

Are you planning on having a blank custom form where we can build in our own sections and fields that can be renamed and moved about in version 6?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Are identities used on form filling as well, don't think i've ever tried? If not can't identities just be a custom form like everything else?

@reck: Yep! 1Password traditionally fills Logins, Credit Card, and Identities. My to our chagrin, the latter two are not yet available in the stable version of 1Password 6, but we're working on getting those out the door Soon™!

When you talk about legacy I feel like i'm using an application from a time gone by and I really should be using something more modern :)

Hahaha oh no! :lol:

I'm using the version 4 on PC which still has has all these legacy types.

These can be disabled in the View menu, and OPVault does not support them. But since 1Password 4 originally supported only AgileKeychain, it also needs to support all of the legacy stuff.

Why don't you stick the legacy accounts in a folder out the way and mark them as depreciated. These could be set as read-only for backwards compatibility only. A custom form could be used to achieve everything these rigid forms can do and more right? So these could be used going forward instead.

We actually migrate "Account" types to Login items since this is the sort of thing we want 1Password filling. But this has caused a lot of confusion too. It comes as a surprise and people think they've lost data. And since there's nothing wrong with the legacy data, we're hesitant to say mean things like "deprecated" and cause undue consternation. Custom templates is the next logical step, but we're not there yet.

Are you planning on having a blank custom form where we can build in our own sections and fields that can be renamed and moved about in version 6?

It's something we've wanted to do for a long time, but it's something that will have to be done carefully — not only out of consideration for legacy data (which many of us still use!) but to avoid putting ourselves in the same position in the future again. Hopefully someday we'll find a good way of doing it without creating more problems for ourselves and for 1Password users. :)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

We actually migrate "Account" types to Login items since this is the sort of thing we want 1Password filling.

You do this in 1Password version 6? So there are no Account types any more as they've been changed to logins, is that right?

What do you mean about the sort of thing you want 1Password filling? I use 1Password for logins of course where things are filled in, but I also make extensive use of it to store anything sensitive or which has passwords attached. These aren't things that will be filled in, just a secure place where I can find this information.

So I think a type or folder separate to logins is still needed, I was just making the point that having rigid, pre-made types seems short-sighted and not very flexible imo and it would be better just to have a custom form where users can create and store whatever they need.

It sounds like it would be hard for you to remove the legacy stuff but hopefully you'll get chance to add customs forms alongside the legacy stuff.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@reck: Sorry for not being clearer. 1Password knows how to fill data from three different templates: Logins, Credit Cards, and Identities. The rest of the data is just, as you say, there to be stored securely.

1Password is intentionally rigid in this sense, because one of the worst things that can happen is filling some sensitive information in the wrong place. And similarly, the breadth and complexity of login forms (and credit card and identity pages) is so vast that it is actually really helpful when 1Password is only trying to fill a handful of fields for a given item type. This reduces the chance of filling error or failure, and we can go to quite a lot of effort to compensate for variations in "password" fields, for example.

We definitely want to add more flexibility and customization because, as you rightly point out, that can be better for usability. But at the same time, it introduces additional complexity that can hurt usability, such as the confusion about legacy item types and, frankly, people thinking they've lost data when it's not where they expect it. It's a delicate balance, but we'll keep working on ways to improve it. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks brenty.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

Likewise! Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.