No option to change master password in Preferences > Security

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Unable to find option to change master password.

Comments

• chris_j
    chris_j
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem.

When I g to 1Password > Preferences... > Security there is no option to change the master password

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chris_j,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble finding the option to change your master password! This is a bit of a different issue than the one from the previous thread, so I've moved your post to a new discussion. I hope you don't mind!

Thank you very much for including the screenshot. Are you signed into a 1Password.com account in the app? If so, the reason you don't see an option to change the master password on the General tab of Preferences is likely because you have one of your account vaults selected. You can see which vault is selected in the top left corner of the main 1Password app window (under the red/yellow/green buttons).

If you want to change the master password for your account, click on the Accounts tab in the Preferences window, select an account from the left side (in case you're signed into more than one) and then click the Change Password button.

Does that help? If you're still having trouble with that, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

• chris_j
    chris_j
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi Drew,
    Thank you for the follow up. The 1Password app I'm using is the one from the macOs app store. I only recently added the 1password account/subscription to it. So, in my Accounts pane the only account listed is my new subscription. The app password was established before the subscription and is different from my subscription password. (However, my new account password unlocks my Windows 1password installation, which i only installed a few days ago after establishing the 1password.com account,)

** Edit: I figured it out - I'm a idiot :) I just needed to sign out of the account.

-Chris

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chris_j: Ah, I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. I'm really sorry for the confusion there. It can definitely be a bit disorienting with both accounts and local vaults. We'll try to make things clearer. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you got it sorted out. We're here if you need us! :)

• sandrafurter
    sandrafurter
    Community Member
    Options

Hi 1Password-Team
    I have a similar problem. I first started using the 1password app on my iPhone without an account and created the account with an app on my mac at a later step. So now the password I'm using to unlock the app on my iphone is different from my account master password. I would now like to ONLY change the password I'm using to sign into my iPhone 1password app but I don't want to change my account master password (which is different). If I follow your instructions above and choose my account (on my iphone app) and then select "change master password" it asks my to enter my current password first. This is not my iPhone app password, it is my account master password which I do not want to change. So how to I change my 1password iphone app password? If I go to "Preferences-Seurity" the "Change Master Password" option is greyed out and I can't access it.
    Thank you for some help here.
    Kind regards
    Sandra

• Hi @sandrafurter ,

If you switch to your Primary vault, and then go into the Preferences, you should be able to access it and change it then. Change it by going to Settings > Security, and not in Accounts.This will only change the Master Password to unlock the app, and not your Account password.

Regards,
    Kevin

• sandrafurter
    sandrafurter
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin
    Thanks a lot. This worked. Would be good to mention this in the instructions as well as it not mentioned there to switch to Primary vault to change your app master password.
    Kind regards
    Sandra

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Kevin, you're very welcome! I'm sorry for the confusion, and hopefully we can make this clearer in both our documentation as well as in the app itself in the future.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.