How to get 1password to fill multiple login entries on a page that requires more than just UN and PW

MasterJ
MasterJ
Community Member
edited October 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

I have a site that wants needs me to fill in multiple entires before I get to th password box.

Here is a picture to illustrate the dilemma:

Image removed by AgileBits

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: 4.61
OS Version: OS X 10.12.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:how do you set up a passwerd entry that has multiple entries needed to get passed the page

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MasterJ,

I hope you don't mind but I've removed the image you added to your post. It may have very well included no real details at all but I couldn't say for certain if this was the case. As a precaution I've removed it.

The image that you supplied, is this the login page for the site or is it a change password form? I just want to make sure I understand what we're looking at.

If it's a login page and you need it to fill all the fields that were in that image then the stable version of 1Password will struggle just now. The reason it will is the two password fields which I expect will need to have the same value placed in both. We are testing something in the beta version of 1Password that should work here but it's just in the beta.

If it's a password change form then in theory you could create a Login item for the fields above the password fields by using the steps outlined on our page How to save a Login manually in your browser but I'm not sure if it would be a massive time saver in the long run given how often you might change your password here.

Can you tell us a little more about the page you need 1Password to fill please. Hopefully a better understanding/appreciation of how and when you need 1Password to fill this page will help us.

• MasterJ
    MasterJ
    Community Member

Oh, there is no timeline. I was just sending this out there in case someone else had the same question. I am aware of the saving each section as a separate login, and I agree its not really any kind of a time saver.

Im assuming your algorithm looks for key words next to text boxes to know what to fill. (I may be way off) I am looking to be able to add these multiple text field names so the application recognizes them and fills them all the way to the bottom.

Like I said there is no timeline. It's more of an inquiry if it is possible because I might have missed it looking through the forums.

Let me know if that answered your last question and or this made sense?

Thank you so much for the quick response!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MasterJ,

If you're interested in how it's working under the hood that I can help a bit with :smile: You're right, forms with more than just a username and password are handled differently.

If a site just requires a username and password there are a few strategies we use and they're all pretty much based on the idea that a password will be filled into a password field and a username will be filled into a cleartext input field. There's a bit more to it in some cases as there are some extremely inventive designs for something that should be as simple as a login form.

If a site has more than two fields or in any way strays from the idea of a cleartext field and password field then things get tricker. Say you want 1Password to fill three text fields - how to make sure we know which is which? At the moment what we do is restrict filling of these types of pages to items that have been saved inside a browser with the extension. In this scenario we can look at the page you're wanting 1Password to save and record all sorts of information. We grab stuff like the name and ID attributes when present for every input field, is the field hidden and so on. As much information as we've found we need to make a reliable model of the page. We record pertinent pieces of this in the Login item and then when you ask 1Password to fill it's almost more like restoring the page, we make sure the page saved and the page you're wanting 1Password to fill are the same (like matching fingerprints and then restore. We're working on an alternative as well but that is something we've got brewing in the beta as we see how well it will work.

So for normal usage we'd always say try saving a Login item in the browser for instances like this. We hope to come up for something for those that like to tinker a bit - we'll see how it comes along :smile:

This discussion has been closed.