Lost Primary Vault

Options
kristip
kristip
Community Member

Back in 2015, my boss asked me to download 1Password. Shortly after, he moved us to teams. I had to create a master password for the team account, but still utilized the password I had for my own account. I have suffered a catastrophic data issue on my MacBook Pro that required a reconstruction of my drives. I thought I was okay, backed up to Dropbox. However after picking up the pieces, my Primary vault and the items I stored in that vault, are gone, and I cannot get in using my original password. I can only see what was saved to team accounts and am having to utilize that account. I really need what was in the Primary vault. I had that long before teams, and hadn't categorized everything to teams yet. (The thing you always mean to get around to).

I have tried to recover my license key for the original download, to no avail. I have searched the world over for an emergency kit for the original. I have the password, but not a license key. I'm concerned that now because dropbox is still active, it may have synced and permanently wiped out my vault.

Can I recover this somehow? I have a lot of information in that vault.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Primary Vault gone

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kristip,

Sorry to hear about the problems with your MacBook Pro, and that you're having trouble syncing your vault from Dropbox!

If I understand, you were using 1Password before your boss signed you up for 1Password Teams, and it sounds like you kept your Primary vault (which isn't part of your Teams account). Did you still have data in your Primary vault which you didn't copy to your Teams account? If so, was that Primary vault syncing with Dropbox? In that case, you should definitely be able to sync your data back from Dropbox.

Are you stuck in the first-run / setup part of 1Password, or have you already signed into your Teams account? If you're going through the setup, make sure you're on the 'Welcome' screen that asks about where you have your data. If it finds your vault in Dropbox, you can select that. Otherwise, click Find it elsewhere, select Dropbox, and click the Choose File button. You'll be able to choose your .agilekeychain or .opvault sync file from its location in your Dropbox folder (make sure you've installed Dropbox and allowed all your files to download to the Mac).

On the other hand, if you already set up the 1Password app by signing into your Teams account, you'll need to create a new local "Primary" vault, and then you'll be able to sync that vault with your sync file from Dropbox. To do that:

• Open & unlock the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences.
    • Select the Advanced tab.
    • Enable the option for "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts".
    • Enter the master password for your Teams account and click Create Primary Vault.

That will create a Primary vault which is separate from your account. You should now be able to go to Preferences > Sync and enable Dropbox sync for your Primary vault (make sure you choose the existing sync file from within your Dropbox folder).

Does that help? Please let us know how it goes, and if you have any trouble, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• kristip
    kristip
    Community Member
    Options

Yay! Your advice was perfect, thank you! I was worried that because I'd logged back into my teams first, I'd lost my vault completely, but your instruction helped me get everything back to how it was!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! I'm really glad that helped you sync your vault in Dropbox back to 1Password on your Mac. Thanks for following up to let us know how it worked out!

Hopefully you're all set now, but we're here for you if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.