Master Password Issue

I've just had a nasty fright. I logged onto my PC and 1Password refused my Master Password six or seven time in a row, (I never got a screen with a hint). I have NEVER changed my master password and I know you do not have access to it. I rebooted and am glad to say I could get in with the identical password that had been refused.

So: how do I recover from a similar incident if it ever happens again and I end up being blocked out? I have read the article about trying various simple steps regarding the exisitng password. I have read the article which says try restoring a backup but that article ended by saying if that doesn't work wipe everything out and start again. Here's my issue: 1P suggests passwords as complicated and sophisticated as you might wish so if your data is protected by such system developed passwords simple suggestions like "wipe everything out and start again" for me don't hack it becasue I'm not a savant and can't remember those alphanumerical 16 digit passwords.

Can you suggest a way of backing up my 1password database including all the sophistcated 1P developed passwords so that if ever I have to recreate my vault I can go to someting which lists in clear type all my data. Yes I realise this jeopardises the whole security of my PC but I cannot afford to have what just happened to me occur when a reboot doesn't solve the problem and I can always protect that file or store it in a remote location.

Thoughts please.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Andrew42: This is actually really simple: backup your data. That sounds a bit pithy, but I'll go into some detail about the why and how.

1Password does not store your Master Password. It uses it when you enter it to try to decrypt your data. This is mathematical, so if the password is incorrect or the data is damaged, it will not work. This sounds scary, but it's the only way to be sure that only you can access your data, no matter what.

But the secret is that every day that you access your vault successfully, that's known-good data. It won't decrypt with your Master Password otherwise. So if you make regular offsite backups of your data (using an external hard drive, optical disk, or cloud service), then even if your data is corrupted (or your computer dies — it's only a matter of time), you'll have a recent known-good copy of your data to restore from since it is, byte for byte, is identical to the data you decrypted with your Master Password at the time you backed it up.

While plaintext is not something we'd suggest as a backup, it may be wise to store a paper copy in a safe deposit box which your family or legal counsel can access if something happens to you. Just be sure that when you export your data you destroy it, so there isn't a plaintext copy of it on your hard drive — or in your printer.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.