Have a program (Banktivity) that only requires a password. Tried to save login manually no success.

kgorske
kgorske
Community Member

In my Safari browser tried to save login. "Save New Login" not available from the menu.

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Have a program (Banktivity) that only requires a password. Tried to save login manually no success.

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kgorske

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with the site Banktivity. I'm going to move your post to our "Saving and Filling in Browsers" category so the right people will be able to find it and help you better :chuffed: Meanwhile, could you please tell us what exactly you mean by "Save new login is not available from the menu"? If you click on the little gear at the end of the 1Password Search bar on the 1Password extension, what do you see as a second option? Is "Save New login" grayed out by any chance? It would also be of great help to us if you could give us the exact URL that you're having trouble with :chuffed:

I hope to hear back from you soon so we can get this sorted out!

• kgorske
    kgorske
    Community Member

The only way I can get Banktivity to open is to select the Banktivity icon in my dock. That opens an image which asks only for the password - nothing else. At this point in the upper most bar the Apple is on the left, followed by Banktivity, etc. The keyhole is above the address bar. This keyhole when selected does give the ability to select the gear, but when the gear is selected the "Save new Login is not present. I try selecting the keyhole from the Safari screen and that gives me a gear which does have "Save new Login" BUT I am no longer in the Banktivity site and therefor the password laden screen is no longer present. Don't know how to get this to work.

Ken Gorske

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, Ken. I think the fundamental disconnect right now is that Banktivity is not a browser and 1Password does not have a way to integrate with third party applications on macOS. (The "Save New Login" menu item only shows up when a browser is active.) So, you'll need to copy and paste this password whenever it is requested. There are a couple of things that can make this easier:

1. Shift-Command-C to copy passwords. When you have an item highlighted, you can press this keyboard shortcut to copy the password without opening the item.
    2. When it comes to locating the item, I would recommend marking it a Favorite. This will make it always available from 1Password mini's Favorites section. Otherwise, searching for the first few characters like "Bankt" should bring it to the top of the list and select it so you can quickly copy the password.
    3. If you're a keyboard-centric person, you can navigate most of 1Password mini with the keyboard. Option-Command-\ (by default) will show 1Password mini. Then you can use the arrow keys to navigate into the menu structure (all four arrows), highlight items (up and down), view and hide the item's details (left and right arrows) and copy values.

I hope that helps. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• kgorske
    kgorske
    Community Member

Thanks Jamie for your response.

1) Is there a way to open Banktivity (iBank) in the Safari browser?
    2) If opening Banktivity required both a user name and password, would 1P work?
    3) Has 1P been in contact with Banktivity about this issue ?

Ken Gorske

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

As far as I know, Bantivity does not have a web interface to open in Safari or any other web browser. The issue isn't whether it requests a username and password but rather that there's no channel into Banktivity for 1Password to interact with. We were hopeful that Apple would provide something for macOS like they have on iOS for apps to interact with each other (You can see many iOS apps have integrated our 1Password app extension: https://blog.agilebits.com/1password-apps/) but they didn't. This is something we're interested in for the future, but there are a great many things to contend with that make it something we can't look into addressing for some time. Once we have something to offer, we will be glad to talk with any 3rd party developer about integrating 1Password into their apps.

• kgorske
    kgorske
    Community Member

If Banktivity is not ideal, what Mac password manager is better for 1P to work with?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kgorske: I don't know enough about it to say whether it's a 1:1 comparison or not, but I've been using Mint for years and recently have been trying Personal Capital as well. I think they each have different strengths, and since they're free it's easy to give them a spin. And both have a web interface, which makes it easier for me to access 1Password while managing accounts. Hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.