1P prevents keyboard sending with my Synergy application

ckp
ckp
Community Member
edited October 2016 in Mac

Hi,

I run 1P and Synergy on my Mac 10.12.1. I have Synergy running also on my Win 10 system. Synergy is like a remote kvm so I can control my Win10 system using mouse and keyboard from my Mac.
When using 1P suddenly I can no longer type any keys on the Win 10 system from my Mac. The only way it will start working again is if I totally close 1P and 1P mini. Then not works again until 1P triggers this state again.
I think this webpage describes the problem having to do with secure input on Mac:

https://smilesoftware.com/textexpander/secureinput

Is there any way 1P can stop leaving the state like this?
Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @ckp,

I use Synergy too, but don't have any problems. In fact, I have 1Password open on the Mac now, and switched via Synergy to my Win 10 x64 machine, and opened and unlocked 1Password 6 for Windows there using the the Mac's keyboard / mouse.

My Mac is the server.

Which version of Synergy are you using?

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Hmm, I see that I can also hit this just by going to Safari preferences and then the password tab where it now prompts to type in the password. After typing in that password, the keyboard will not work with Synergy anymore. But in this case just existing Safari gets it back.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

@MrC , it's not just having 1P open. So, if you do what I describe in my last comment I think you will see this.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@ckp,

Sure, when you have secure mode active, I have the same issue. I don't know if there is anything Synergy can do about this.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Maybe this is only happening with Safari and the passwords tab. I could have sworn just closing Safari didn't help the last time this happened, but right now if I go into the Safari password tab it will happen and all I have to do is exit the safari app to restore things.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ckp,

If I understand, the problem you're running into with Synergy is related to secure input fields, and is something that happens with multiple apps (i.e. not just 1Password, but also Safari and possibly others). In that case, you might need to contact Synergy for help with this. Or if you've already been in touch with them, what did they say?

If I misunderstood, please let us know. Thanks! :)

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

@Drew_AG , I don't know who is at fault. If the app that uses secure input doesn't enable and disable it right i guess that could cause problems for other apps like Synergy. i reported this to synergy too as several other people have also. it's unlcear where the fix needs to be so far from what i've seen. Since I can reproduce this just by going to safari passwords tab in 10.12.1, it seems even apple themselves don't know how to use this :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ckp,

I don't use Synergy, but I use TextExpander, which also becomes disabled when secure input is being used in an app (it shows me a notification when that happens). Starting in 1Password 6 for Mac, secure text input is enabled when editing items, and since I do a lot of editing in 1Password, I tend to see those notifications from TextExpander fairly often. But TextExpander always works again immediately after I exit edit mode in 1Password, so it seems like 1Password must be correctly disabling secure input when it's supposed to. Similarly, I haven't noticed problems with TextExpander while using Safari.

However, I don't know for sure if that means the problem is with Synergy, or if something else on your Mac is causing this to work incorrectly. Just to be sure: When you notice this problem happening in Synergy, do you happen to be editing an item in 1Password? Or is the 1Password app open & locked, and asking you to enter your master password?

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG , yes indeed my keyboard goes dead with Synergy when the Mac 1P app login is sitting there waiting for me to login.
    After logging in synergy works again.
    Same thing when editing something in 1P.
    I could have sworn that one time the keyboard was not recoverable to synergy until i actually exited the 1p mini app and main window.
    With Safari and its password tab however, synergy never works after going there, until exiting the safari processes.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ckp,

yes indeed my keyboard goes dead with Synergy when the Mac 1P app login is sitting there waiting for me to login.
    After logging in synergy works again.
    Same thing when editing something in 1P.

Thanks for confirming! It sounds like that's working as expected in 1Password. But if you run into a problem where 1Password doesn't seem to be disabling secure input when it should, please let us know.

With Safari and its password tab however, synergy never works after going there, until exiting the safari processes.

Hmm, I'm afraid I don't know why that might be happening. When I go to Safari > Preferences > Passwords on my Mac, it doesn't seem to enable secure text input at all. But even if I could reproduce that, there wouldn't be much I could do since Safari is an Apple product. Have you tried contacting Apple for help?

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

When I go to Safari > Preferences > Passwords on my Mac, it doesn't seem to enable secure text input at all.

Are you using mac 10.12.1 with latest safari updates (10.0.1)? This started for me in 10.12.1 (i skipped 10.12 until 10.12.1 came). Contact Apple? Seriously, the only companies I try to report issues to are the smaller ones like 1P because with smaller companies it seems you get real visibility and even fixes. =)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ckp,

Are you using mac 10.12.1 with latest safari updates (10.0.1)?

Yes, and yes.

I should mention that I don't use Safari's built-in password manager because I use 1Password to fill web forms. Therefore, the autofill option in Safari > Preferences > Passwords is disabled on my Mac, and I don't have any records listed there. However, I tried enabling it and added a couple test records. The only way I've been able to have it enable secure input is by trying to view the password of one of those records, as Safari asks for my Mac user password. But as soon as I either enter my password or click Cancel, secure input is disabled (and TextExpander is re-enabled).

Contact Apple? Seriously, the only companies I try to report issues to are the smaller ones like 1P because with smaller companies it seems you get real visibility and even fixes. =)

Thank you! Customer service is a very high priority for us, and I'm glad to see it shows.

I wish this was something we could help you to solve, but since it seems to be a problem with Safari or Synergy, you'll need to contact Apple or Synergy support. You said you already tried Synergy, so if they aren't able to help, I recommend contacting Apple support ( https://support.apple.com/ ) or at least searching their support communities ( https://discussions.apple.com/welcome ). Although Apple is a big company, they have an excellent reputation for support. If you contact them, I really hope they'll be able to help you with this! :)

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Actually I'm fine with it for now. The main thing was that I didn't want to have to exit 1P completely and that doesn't seem to be the case. It's just the Safari thing where i have to exit Safari, and as little as i can into that safari section, it's something i can live with. I use 1P primarily also, but I do leave Safari password mgmt on for the less common times when 1P just doesn't seem to help for whatever reason (sometime it just doesn't pick something up that safari does, but then I manually add to 1P most of the time afterwards). And it's also more convenient for me to use Safari password mgmt on my apple devices since I don't have to browse through the 1P app whenever I want to use 1P to fill in for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Fair enough. iCloud Keychain is definitely convenient and has its uses, but I prefer 1Password because it's nearly impossible to manage Keychain data or get things out of it. It's good to have options. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.