To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Getting started with 1Password is confusing

williamson_trent
williamson_trent
Community Member
edited November 2016 in Memberships

I consider myself to be super tech savy but your entire method/ethos of sign-up , pricing, and operation would be severely limiting sales for you guys as it is extremely confusing and over complicated.

The main qeastion I have is if you sign up online in a browser then download the app for iphone how are you meant to log-in to your account on your iphone that you signed up for online? If you have online password storage and a mac app what are we suppose to use ? The wording on the login is "for family members or teams". I could log-in as an individual in this area. So what is it all about ? Who is saying the correct information on your forum ? What do you do ? where do you pay ? what do you pay ? There is no information regarding trial membership and eventually paying?

1. Some of your team on this forum tell people to log in on the iphone app using "log-in for families" even if you don't have family account. Other members of your team say you cannot log-in that way as an individual. I did it after 12 attempts. So what is the correct information ?
  2. QR code generator in your web app generates the WRONG account details. It shows http://my.1password.com This did not work, once I changed it too my.1password.com it worked.
  3. "remove account" in Iphone app is greyed out but still works.
  4. Regardless of anything it should be WAY easier to use your product. I would be willing to pay $64 if I could use it.....

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.4.5 (6450001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: web to iphone

Comments

• Hi @williamson_trent! Thanks for posting about this. It's nice to have an opportunity to chat with someone about their experience with 1Password. :) Let's jump in.

The main qeastion I have is if you sign up online in a browser then download the app for iphone how are you meant to log-in to your account on your iphone that you signed up for online?

I'm sorry for the confusion. 1Password has been an app over the years and we're moving things to a service now so our users have their data synced automatically. That way, when they get a new device they can sign in to their account. If their old device breaks, they don't have to worry about where the backup of it is. The setup process right now is most of the way there. We're hoping to improve it a lot very soon. I'm excited for you to see it.

If you have online password storage and a mac app what are we suppose to use ? The wording on the login is "for family members or teams". I could log-in as an individual in this area. So what is it all about ?

They work together. :) When you sign up for a 1Password account, you can sign in to that account in any of the 1Password apps. The wording you mentioned is something we've improved in the latest beta of 1Password for Mac and iOS, and it'll be rolled out to stable in the future.

Who is saying the correct information on your forum ? What do you do ? where do you pay ? what do you pay ? There is no information regarding trial membership and eventually paying?

AgileBits team members have orange banners beside their names so you know that's us. With a 1Password account, you pay by subscribing from your billing page. We hoped our pricing page would outline these details. Did you notice them there? We're always looking to improve things so if you have some feedback please post it.

Some of your team on this forum tell people to log in on the iphone app using "log-in for families" even if you don't have family account. Other members of your team say you cannot log-in that way as an individual. I did it after 12 attempts. So what is the correct information ?

Do you have a link to those forum posts? There have been many updates this year, and the landscape has changed quite a bit from what it was in February so those posts may be out of date. We try to de-index old posts so they don't confuse people. I'm sorry for the inconvenience there.

QR code generator in your web app generates the WRONG account details. It shows http://my.1password.com This did not work, once I changed it too my.1password.com it worked.

Hmm, did it show http://my.1password.com specifically? That wouldn't work because it isn't using SSL. It needs https at the beginning. The QR code for your account only changes if you've updated your account information, so if it's incorrect now I'd like to investigate it. Could you try signing in from one of the apps using it once more?

"remove account" in Iphone app is greyed out but still works.

Thanks for mentioning that. I personally hadn't noticed it before. I'll let the team know so they can look into what's going on.

ref: OPI-3792

Regardless of anything it should be WAY easier to use your product. I would be willing to pay $64 if I could use it.....

Once again, thanks for all the feedback. I'm sorry for the confusion on the price of 1Password as well. With a subscription, it's $2.99/month for yourself when paid annually. It's $4.99/month for a family paid annually. All the details about this are on our pricing page. Hope that helps.

• williamson_trent
    williamson_trent
    Community Member

Thanks for taking the time to address all this, very much appreciated.

Only thing is if you are not using QR code to sign in how are people suppose to know what the "URL" is in the sign-in? Where is that info given in the sign-up process?

really appreciate your time.

• @williamson_trent No problem at all. We're here to help. :)

If you have an account that's just for yourself, it will use my.1password.com as the sign-in address. If you use a family or team account, you can find your sign-in address on your Emergency Kit. You can also request it on that sign in page. We are aiming to make the sign-in address as invisible as possible in the future so you don't have to think about it. We'll likely make it my by default and you can change it if you have a family or team. Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.