Cannot edit in 6.1.286d [Edit button is disabled for local vaults as it is read-only]

rfog
rfog
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Edit button is not working (does nothing) in the rightmost pane. As I understand, that button is to edit current login and perhaps change the password when, for example, you are using Edge for that. Add new item does noting too.

It happens in OneDrive and Dropbox synced Vault.

1Password Version: 6.1.286d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: OneDrive

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rfog: I'm sorry for the confusion! The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app does not support local vaults yet. That's why editing is disabled. 1Password 4 is a mature app with full local vault support, so please use that instead. Unless you're using the subscription service, there's no need to use 1Password 6. I hope this helps!

• rfog
    rfog
    Community Member

Thanks!

I have version 4 purchased but removed in favor of this new one! Then I think I'm returning back to version 4 due I need to edit/modify the passwords.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@rfog: We are planning to bring full support for local vaults in 1Password 6, but I don't have timeframes for you. I hope for your understanding. :)

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know. We are always here for you!

++
    Greg

• rfog
    rfog
    Community Member

Ok, no problem. I will be back (like The Empire :-D) in a couple of weeks to see if new version supports those things.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ok, no problem. I will be back (like The Empire :-D) in a couple of weeks to see if new version supports those things.

@rfog: Not again! :scream:

But in all seriousness, I don't want to get your hopes up: we're working hard to get 1Password 6 ready for all Windows users, but it will probably be more than a couple weeks. :blush:

• rfog
    rfog
    Community Member

XDDDDDDD.

Having 4 is enough for me until you release a full working 6 (beta or not). I follow 1password in the news and surely you will announce final with bells and songs and earthquakes as you announced the subscription model. ;-)

• Hi @rfog,

Yes, we will, a lot of our users want the local vault support in 1Password 6 and we're going to make it happen, it just needs a lot of things to be implemented first, which would benefit both subscriptions and local vaults.

For an example, local vaults support requires writing custom data, the current 1Password.com users cannot write custom field/sections either. So, all the changes we're making on the way to that big update benefits both users. It's just that local vaults have different formats that we need to add extra code for, such as the last ten years worth of AgileKeychain/OPvault format changes, where we don't have to do anything for 1Password.com data structure as the server sends us that information (to all apps actually).

• sircoolio
    sircoolio
    Community Member

I too upgraded from 4.x to 6 thinking it was the next release and ready for use. The interface is sooo much better that I don't want to go back, but only now understand that it is not feature complete. This was not obvious on the web site. I would recommend changing the download page to make it completely clear this is not a feature complete release including the most basic feature (editing).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sircoolio: First of all, I'm glad to hear that you like the new interface, but I'm sorry the new app does not support local vaults yet. That's why we're not selling any licenses for it. Anyone who purchased 1Password 4 should continue using that version until we have a new release that works with those vaults, or give 1Password.com a try.

• VizualAbstract
    VizualAbstract
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

Dude, 1Password could use a little bit more empathy for the users. I don't see anything indicating the limitations within the App.

I'm so insanely frustrated with this program, I created an account just to vent my gripes and now I'm ready to dump it and move on to something else.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@VizualAbstract: I'm sorry to hear that. We're happy to help in any way we can, but some basic information about where you're having trouble is necessary. It might be best to create a new discussion so we can focus on your particular setup and any questions you might have. But if course if you've moved on to something else already that may be irrelevant. :(

• VizualAbstract
    VizualAbstract
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

This is in regards to the original topic, the "inability to edit" -- You say this is because it's a beta feature, but this isn't indicated in the Interface.

The button is disabled. People think it's broken. Principles in UI, specifically to user empathy, dictate clearly communicating why the Edit button is disabled.

Right now, the only way someone knows that the button is disabled and not broken is by Google searching, getting frustrated, stumbling accidentally across the forums on this discussion thread and realizing that we can't edit a login item because the feature is in beta.

As a faithful user, I suggest hiding the button or delivering a notice when someone attempts to trigger the edit button.

This is a core feature of the app, special considerations should be made.

• Hi @VizualAbstract,

Thanks for writing in.

You are correct and there should've been a tooltip (also used for accessibility) when you hover over the edit button to explain why it is disabled. There are a few other reasons why it can be disabled; the first one is what we know, local vault, but the second is if you're using a 1Password.com account, the vault may not have the edit permission.

We will fix this in a future update, thank you for bringing this up.

• SUGSSlammer
    SUGSSlammer
    Community Member

I also bumped in to this issue :) I have no problem going back to 1PW 4 but I need to know that it will not mess up the Vault on Dropbox since I'm using both iOS and Mac OS with version 6 of 1PW.
    **Is that combination OK? **
    (iOS, Mac OS verion 6 with Win version 4 and synced local vault on Dropbox)

• Hi @SUGSSlammer,

Thanks for writing in. Yes, you can use 1Password 4 for Windows with the same vault files with 1Password 6 for Mac and iOS.

• SUGSSlammer
    SUGSSlammer
    Community Member

Great @MikeT ! Thnx for your reply

• You're welcome.

• andre1
    andre1
    Community Member

Bump! Is there an ETA for getting support for local vaults?

Thanks

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@andre1: 1Password 6 for Windows is currently focused on 1Password accounts. Since local vaults are fully supported in 1Password 4, it is not something we work on in 1Password 6 at the moment. I do not have any news for you besides that, so please stay tuned. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.