Proposed website title is wrong: "www.britishgas.co.uk" proposed as "co.uk"

Options

It seems that the website to proposed title convertor is a bit stupid, proposing "co.uk" for https://www.britishgas.co.uk

I would have preferred a simple one that would just propose base domain name (dropping www): britishgas.co.uk

Trying to be too smart ends up doing stupid suggestions :)

PS. This happened on Chrome but my impression is that all extensions have the same behaviour.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

@sbarnea: Ah. Sorry about that! I think "stupid" is a reasonable assessment in this case. :lol:

You're right that all of the extensions are using the same logic, and I was able t easily reproduce this. While this isn't a showstopper by any means, any issue involving domain names is worth investigating in case there's a deeper problem that could affect saving or filling data. In particular, ccSLDs (Country Code Second-Level Domains) can be tricky. But all versions of 1Password should support these in addition to the standard TLDs. So we'll investigate to address this and any related issues. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

ref: OPX-1259

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sbarnea,

At the moment the code attempts to take the title of the page in question and the full domain and do something clever to come up with more friendly titles. It doesn't always work and there is room for improvement. Unfortunately as the location of these changes is in a sub-module of 1Password, code shared between the various platforms, any change will not be fast in appearing. I'm not saying we won't work on it but it won't be a quick fix that turns up in the immediate future. I only say this to ensure we don't offer you any false expectations. We will look into it though.

This discussion has been closed.