To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Is there a Legacy feature in the event of my death?

russhughes
russhughes
Community Member

I am the process of activating my Living Will & Trust. I use 1Password for everything online related and in the event of my death I would prefer to have some type of Legacy feature set up to forward my 1Password account information to my Trustee versus putting my 1Password password in my physical living trust. I may change my password and may not be able to add it to the physical paperwork documents as I am living abroad and my physical paperwork will be in a Safety Deposit Box in the USA.

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.2 Beta
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Legacy feature?

Comments

• Hi @russ_hughes! Thanks for posting about this. At the moment, the best solution for this we have is the Emergency Kit that's included with a 1Password account. You mentioned in your post that you sync with iCloud, so you may not have an Emergency Kit right now if you're using 1Password without an account. You can create an Emergency Kit for yourself in that case — there's a nice unofficial one that's simply a PDF document with spaces to write your Master Password and other information:

The 1Password Emergency Kit for standalone users

We'd like to create a more elegant solution for 1Password accounts, whether that's with an individual subscription or 1Password Families. The Emergency Kit is the best thing we have at the moment because it's a challenging thing creating a way for people to store information about their 1Password account where only people they trust can access it. Hopefully we'll have something great for this down the road. In the meantime I hope the Emergency Kit helps you. :)

• jrlivin2
    jrlivin2
    Community Member

Hi,

I am new here and just wanted to follow up on this old post.

I found 1Password after experimenting with one of your competitors for several months.

There were several things I really liked about your competitor's product but ultimately I found them to be too "buggy" and hit or miss with their autofill of usernames/passwords option.

I am still experimenting with your service but, so far, you appear to have a much more stable system and autofill works really well.

One thing that the competitor had, though, which I really, really, liked was their emergency access feature. Essentially, the user could create trusted emergency contacts who could request access to their account. After a verification process was complete, the trusted emergency contact could login and request access to my account. I would then receive an email indicating that they were requesting access. I could either allow access or deny access as I saw fit. In the event that I was incapacitated and/or did not response to the email, the trusted contact would automatically have access to the information after a certain amount of time had lapsed (in my case, I chose 48 hours).

I know there are some cons of this way of allowing emergency access but, for me, it was perfect. I had one very trustworthy emergency contact who could get access to my account if something happened to me. I liked that I was able to set this up without giving them access to my master password in advance.

If you are looking for features to add to your system I would like to see that one added.

Thanks -

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

The thing to remember is that there is one and only one way to gain access to your data: your Master Password. Thus, the only way to give other people access is to somehow give them the Master Password. There are no magic solutions. So the system you're suggesting would require AgileBits to safekeep your Master Password. This would break with the fundamental promise they make to their customers that they have no access to your data.

The fact that the competing company offered this feature, should actually worry you. It would certainly worry me. It means that they have access to your data either by storing your encryption keys or (even worse) by not encrypting your data properly.

• As pervel alluded to in order to give someone access to your data we have to have access to your data, which is something we do not have. And there is no magic when it comes to encryption, just math.

But there may be other ways around that. For example we may be able to do something similar to what we do with recovery. The members of your account that are able to perform account recovery have all of the encryption keys. But they are prevented by the system from using them for anything other than to perform the recovery function.

It may be possible to implement a similar system for legacy considerations.

Ben

• jrlivin2
    jrlivin2
    Community Member

Thanks for the responses.

I am about as far from a computer security expert as you can get and to be completely honest I don't fully understand how the process works. I will say that the company I referenced is very well known and I would be surprised if their setup was in some way subpar as far as security is concerned.

I don't think it's appropriate to name them here but if Ben would like to send me an email or private message I will send him a link to what I'm talking about.

At any rate, I was just voicing what I thought may be a useful feature for future releases.

Thanks again for the responses. Incidentally, another thing I really like about your company is the fact that you have an active forum.

• @jrlivin2 You're welcome to mention the names here, no hard feelings. :) I do know which one you're referring to though. I spoke with one of our developers about their implementation. Quite simply, the reason we haven't done that yet is because 1Password accounts are in their youth. We'd love them to get stronger with things like this, and I'm glad to hear there are folks interested in it. We have some of the tools already with account recovery in family and team accounts, and those building blocks will help for the future.

I'll let the team know you asked about this. In the meantime, simply giving your Emergency Kit, with your Master Password written in it, to someone you trust is the best solution. It's also quite simple. Hope this helps!

ref: B5-1138

This discussion has been closed.