Can you clarify how family users should set up accounts?

Options
abfamily
abfamily
Community Member

I have a licensed copy of 1Password and have upgraded to a family account - set up on the family computer. When I invite my husband (who has never used 1password before) should I use an email specific to him? He does not have to set up an account, just download the app on his mobile devices? Can he use the same master password as the main family account?
I use the apps on my mobile devices with a separate email and master password, using Dropbox sync. I've invited myself and joined the family account. Do I just move my old 'primary' vault to a new family vault? It was unclear to me how to create a vault that is not shared with all - should this be done in the admin console of the family account, or from my personal mobile devices? Also, how would my private vault sync if it set up outside of the family account?

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: os x 10.12.1
Sync Type: family account

Comments

• Hi @abfamily! Sorry for the confusion about what to do next. When inviting your husband, you should use his email. You'll find that your email can't be used since it's already a member of your family account. Once he is invited, he does need to set up an account and get his own Account Key and Master Password. He can then install 1Password on his mobile devices as well as his desktop or laptop if he'd like, then sign in to his account there to start using 1Password. He should use a different Master Password than you did when signing up so the security of your family is strong.

I use the apps on my mobile devices with a separate email and master password, using Dropbox sync. I've invited myself and joined the family account. Do I just move my old 'primary' vault to a new family vault?

Yep! Once you sign in to your account in 1Password for Mac, you can move your existing items to it, then remove your old vault to start using just your family account for new passwords. We have a nice guide to get you going:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

It was unclear to me how to create a vault that is not shared with all - should this be done in the admin console of the family account, or from my personal mobile devices? Also, how would my private vault sync if it set up outside of the family account?

I'm sorry that wasn't more clear. You can do this from the Admin Console of the family account. If you create it on one of your devices, it won't sync with your family account. To create a new vault in the Admin Console, click the Vaults tab and click the blue + button there. Learn more about creating vaults and sharing them with your family.

Also, how would my private vault sync if it set up outside of the family account?

With a family account, you get a Personal vault which is your private one. It's not shared with anyone else in the family, even a Family Organizer. I'd recommend putting your private things here. You can move them using the guide I mentioned above. Simply select the items you want to move to your Personal one and move them there, then do the same for your shared or custom ones.

Hope that helps for now! Thanks for asking about this — it gives us some insight into how your experience is going and we're always looking to make that better. :) Let us know if you have some questions moving forward.

• abfamily
    abfamily
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Jacob. That clears almost everything up for me. My last point of confusion: it seems that any vaults that i create from the admin console using my main family account are always visible to that account, so members cannot have a vault that is NOT visible to the main account holder...I was expecting each member to have a vault not visible to the main account but zi take it this is not the case?

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Personal vaults are only visible to the individuals that they belong to - administrators (main account holder and anyone else you assign as an administrator) cannot see them anywhere.

Other vaults created can be seen by administrators when you log into your web account in the vaults section. However, unless you assign yourself viewing rights to those vaults, you won't see the contents of them nor will you see the vaults on your PC/Mac or on mobile devices. So for example my fiancée has a couple of vaults she uses to keep worl-related passwords and information in. I don't have viewing rights so although I can see them on the Web, that's the only place I see the vaults and I have no idea what is in them.

• abfamily
    abfamily
    Community Member
    Options

If i remove viewing rights from the main account, it also removes the vault from my personal account...
    Have I set it up incorrectly somehow because my main account does seem to have access to what im trying to get to be a personal vault...

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member
    Options

Your main account and your personal account are one and the same thing (unless they are completely different logins). It's just that your account has administrative access when logging into the web account - there you can not only see the vaults you have access to when using the desktop & mobile apps, you can also administer the family subscription (create new users, create vaults etc).

If you remove viewing rights of a vault from your account when logged into the web, you will not see that vault when using the desktop or mobile apps, nor will you see the vault on your own vaults page on the Web (the page that shows you your Personal Vault, the default Shared Vault and any other vaults you have access to). If you go to the vaults administration page on the Web, you will see all created vaults listed there, including ones you don't have viewing rights to. However, you cannot see inside those that you don't have viewing rights to.

• @abfamily Sorry for the confusion about that. Martok's post is correct. As a Family Organizer, you can access all vaults in the account except other family members' Personal ones. Let us know if what Martok mentioned helps. :)

• abfamily
    abfamily
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Jacob and Martok. Yeah - this is what I want but not what is happening. Let me go over my set up and perhaps you can identify where I made a mistake. I will refer to accounts by their email so I dont get hung up on terminology of personal etc
    Email #1 - family account set up.
    Email #2. Invited user (my private email) different login
    From admin console on email #1, ceated a new vault. Viewing rights to email #1 and email #2
    I can see this vault from my mobile devices, where I am logged in with email #2 as expected and wanted, but I can also see it from the os app on the computer which is logged into 1password using email#1. Not from the web but from the application and I can see the actual logins for email #2 not just the vault presence.

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member
    Options

From admin console on email #1, ceated a new vault. Viewing rights to email #1 and email #2

This. As you have stated, you have given viewing rights to the vault to email #1 (as well as email #2). That is why you can see this vault on your computer when logged in with email #1.

If you don't want email #1 to see it when logged into the 1Password app on your computer, remove the viewing rights (in fact all rights) from that vault. You can do this from the web once logged in (with email #1) by:

1. Click on Admin console from dropdown at the top right after you have logged in
    2. Click on Vaults
    3. Click on the vault you want to deal with
    4. Click on Manage Access
    5. Remove the tick from the account that belongs to email #1

A second way of doing this is from the Your Vaults page when you log in on the web (the first page you arrive at). From here:

1. Click on the pencil icon on the vault you want to change
    2. Remove the tick from the account that belongs to email #1

Out of interest, is there a reason you are using a different email for setting up the Family subscription to your personal email? I'm just curious as to why. I'm not saying it's wrong in any way, it's just that I have used the same email for both of these.

• Thanks Martok! I too am curious why you're using a different email for your family subscription, @abfamily. You're welcome to use the same one. :)

• abfamily
    abfamily
    Community Member
    Options

Ok - when I remove rights to a vault from email#1, the vault is also removed from the apps on mobile devices that are logged in with email #2. It says that vault was removed from the family account.

I thought the idea was that every family member set up an account with their own email and is invited to join the family account. For me, the computer that is logged in with email #1 is used by multiple family members and I wanted my mobile devices to house a vault that has work related info that doesnt need to be seen on the main computer.

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member
    Options

Ok - when I remove rights to a vault from email#1, the vault is also removed from the apps on mobile devices that are logged in with email #2. It says that vault was removed from the family account.

That shouldn't be the case. Are you sure that you only removed the rights from email #1? Are you sure that only email #2 is logged in on your mobile devices? Are you sure that you didn't delete the vault (does it still show in Admin Console > Vaults on the web)?

I have just tested this and I cannot reproduce this issue. I set up a new user with a second email account and signed this in on my tablet. I created a shared folder with my primary (admin) email and shared it with the new user. The vault appeared both in my primary and secondary accounts. I then removed the vault from my primary account (by removing access as described earlier). The vault disappeared from my primary account (and I got a notification on my computer to say it had been removed). However the vault is still accessible to my secondary account on my tablet.

• @abfamily Hmm, it does sound a bit like the account may have been the same one on both devices. Would you mind if we took this conversation to email so we can discuss the specifics of your account (who the members are and what devices they have signed in to)? Send us a message at support@1password.com and we'll get things moving along. Post back here with the BitBit confirmation number you receive from us after sending the message so we can connect the conversations on our end.

• abfamily
    abfamily
    Community Member
    Options

Ok thank you. I did confirm that mobile devices are signed into a different account. Support ref [#FKG-22577-992].

• Thanks! I'll reply shortly. :)

ref: FKG-22577-992

This discussion has been closed.