Accidently Deleted my Shared Vault from Dropbox

ZINCT
ZINCT
Community Member

Hello -
I have a shared vault with my partner that we use for our business passwords. She has 1Password on (3) devices: 1-iMac, 2-iPhone, 3-iPad. I have it on my 1- iMac, (2) Mac Pros and 4- iPhone. (7) devices in all.

We haven’t been using our shared vault because it took me a long time with mental breaks in the middle to understand the logic of shared Vaults. I finally figured out Vault syncing and then today, I accidentally deleted the shared sync folder from my Dropbox while cleaning up my files.

So I thought I would simply create a new shared sync file and load it to dropbox. But I’m having problems. And I’m not sure if it’s because all the devices need to unsync from the original shared Dropbox file.

This is what happens when I go to create a new Sync file:

1) I go to Preferences > Syncing > Shared Vault "name" > "none" is pre-selected.
2) I select Dropbox from the dropdown filed and my Applications folder comes up in the window.
3) I navigate to my Dropbox app (on my computer) select Dropbox and NOTHING happens. I don't get any choices of folders the window disappears.
I don't remember how I did it the last time and actually made it work?

My questions are:
Do I need everyone to shut off syncing for the shared vault on all the devices first?
Am I doing something wrong that Dropbox does not come up immediately when I select the Sync Vault dropdown?

Any other recommendations would be helpful. thanks

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox (Shared)

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ZINCT,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble re-enabling sync with Dropbox for that vault! I'll be happy to help you figure this out.

Do I need everyone to shut off syncing for the shared vault on all the devices first?

No, you shouldn't need to do that - when the 1Password app on each device tries to sync that vault, it will notice the sync file is missing from Dropbox, give an error message about it, and turn off that vault's sync settings automatically.

What you'll need to do (which is what you're trying to do) is start syncing that vault with Dropbox again to create a new sync file (inside a new shared folder in your Dropbox account, so you can share it with your partner). Once the new sync file is in Dropbox, you can re-enable the sync settings for that vault in 1Password on each device.

Am I doing something wrong that Dropbox does not come up immediately when I select the Sync Vault dropdown?

First, thank you for describing all the steps you're taking and what happens when you do that! It's extremely helpful for us. :)

From what you wrote, I think this is where the problem is happening:

3) I navigate to my Dropbox app (on my computer) select Dropbox and NOTHING happens.

Instead of choosing the Dropbox application, you'll actually need to choose the Dropbox folder on your Mac. In other words, you need to choose the location for the new sync file. In the navigation window that appears, you might see "Dropbox" on the left side, under the Favorites section - if so, choose that. Otherwise, you'll just need to navigate to your Mac username folder, and you should find the Dropbox folder there.

Since you'll be sharing this with your partner's Dropbox account, remember to first create a new folder somewhere inside the Dropbox folder on your Mac. Choose that specific folder when setting up sync for that vault in 1Password, and that's where the new sync file (.agilekeychain or .opvault) will be created.

In case it helps, you can find the steps to share your vault via Dropbox on our support site here: How to share a vault using Dropbox

Does that help to get things back on track? Please let us know how it all goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• ZINCT
    ZINCT
    Community Member

Thank you Drew. That worked well. I hadn't realized that I had a Dropbox folder separate from the application on my MAC.

One question. When I created the new Sync folder on Dropbox, is it necessary to SHARE it first or can I share it after I sync with my 1Password vault?
    thanks again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, @ZINCT! I'm glad that helped.

When I created the new Sync folder on Dropbox, is it necessary to SHARE it first or can I share it after I sync with my 1Password vault?

Either way is fine - you can share that folder before or after you set up the sync settings in 1Password.

If you have more questions or need more help, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.