Where did the UWP version go? [Will be returned in the near future]

Options
Kaoh
Kaoh
Community Member
edited November 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I recommended 1Password to my co-worker, he is like me a WIndows fan. So my demo of the 1Password UWP features convinced him to get an account also. But to our shock the 1Password windows 10 UWP version can not be found in the store. I used my installed version to locate the store page and shared it with him, but using that page the store says the app is unavailable.
So I guess you did not republish with the new requirements so the app got booted with the cleanup last month.
But please make sure it gets published again. 1Password is my must have app, and my family year subscription has been worth the money, but I only use the UWP on my devices.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Kaoh, I'm really sorry for the confusion here.

We temporarily removed the UWP app from the store while we work on a major update for it. For now we recommend using desktop app for Windows 10 users while the UWP gets its long awaited update. If your friend is using Windows 10, please direct him here to download 1Password 6 for Desktops

Thanks for contacting us! I'm really happy to hear how much you're enjoying 1Password 6 and I can't wait to hear how much you're going to love the updated UWP app :).

• Kaoh
    Kaoh
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, so today my UWP version got updated to the 1Password 6. This looks like a 32bit to store project thing, I lost my favorite UWP features (windows hello support) and it looks like a crappy old windows app while I am on a touch device. Crappy context menu items instead of touch friendly interface. I am really not happy. My windows 10 based small screen tablets now are useless with your app.
    I choose for my family account because you went all in UWP with your apps. Now you move back from it.
    If you kill the windows 10 mobile version I will demand a refund. I am really pissed about this move.
    Please tell me what the advantage is of this move, I see no new features and lost a lot of them.

:'(

• TildaColon
    TildaColon
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also very unhappy with this, for several reasons:

• There was no communication about migrating to the desktop program, never mind forewarning. One day, I have access to 1Password (even offline and away from home), next day I don't (one needs the secondary authentication to add the account back in). Luckily, this morning I was at a place with access to the secondary authentication data so I was able to connect back to 1Password.

• I now have several computers to re-configure, each with several users. That's a two or three of hours work to do.

• As mentioned above, there's no Windows Hello support in the desktop program. I use a laptop / desktop, but the ability to unlock and already-opened-but-locked vault is missed. It was part of the trade-off to using a more complex password. A trade-off that is no longer valid.

• Also mentioned above, the use of the Win32 program -> Store app feature is confusing. Store apps are updated automatically through the Store (normally a good thing, but in this case it turned out to be bad). But the desktop program has a 'check for updates' feature. So how is it updated - Store or via the desktop program?

• In order to avoid this mess again, I now have a choice - use the Win32 program -> Store app as-is (in local appdata packages) or install the desktop program (in to local appdata for each user).
      a) Which will be better supported and ideally get me back to the UWP app again? If I use the Win32 program -> Store app, will it one day revert back to the UWP app without notice, leaving me with no password?
      b) If use the Win32 program -> Store app on the users / computers that were automatically 'upgraded', if I want to install on other users / computers later, can I? Or on those, will I have to use the normal desktop program installer? But then, I'll have a mixture of installation with potentially different updating mechanisms, some of which may require manual intervention (see above). But if I don't know if the desktop program requires manual steps to keep updated, how am I meant to train my family to do so?

Personally, I don't care about browser integration. In fact, as an IT security professional, I actively avoid it due to the risks it presents (no matter how good the 1Password architecture and implementation is). I understand the threat model with the clipboard. It's a personal choice but I don't appreciate being but in this position because the desktop program has better support for a feature I wish to avoid (and loses, or potentially loses, benefits of the UWP app - trusted source for installation and updates, automatic updates, Windows Hello support, app sandboxing and some protection against desktop programs, etc.).

Please:

• Re-instate the Windows Store UWP app and upgrade everyone back to the UWP app
    • Or introduce two - the UWP app and the Win32 program -> desktop program in the Store. And don't upgrade the Win32 program -> Store app to the UWP app. That would prevent people being dumped back to not having access to passwords without having to set up again.
    • Apologise to UWP users for the mess and commit to not doing this again without notice

I moved from LastPass due to my perception of them being untrustworthy following their acquisition (the nature of their new owner and that blog comments have been heavily moderated since). I'd prefer not to end up with a situation that I don't trust 1Password.

Thanks and keep up the good work. No sarcasm there - but please do fix this problem.

• TildaColon
    TildaColon
    Community Member
    Options

I just noticed the version of the upgraded UWP app (the desktop program distributed through the Store) is 6.1.304d and this is mentioned as an internal beta in this thread:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/71950/newest-beta-shows-a-ton-of-pending-changes

I also have a pending change (I just added a password) that won't sync. I've raised a support case by email, but I want to mention it here too in case others are seeing the same problem.

Has AbileBits accidentally pushed out the wrong version? Does that explain why the app settings weren't migrated to the desktop app (i.e. having to set up the program again and enter all authentication details)?

• MikeT
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi @TildaColon and @Kaoh,

This build is not supposed to be available right now nor to anyone, I'm trying to get the developers to remove it from the Windows Store as soon as possible.

This may have been a Store glitch that made an unapproved build available. The weekend timing isn't helping either but absolutely this is not intended.

We'll reply as soon as we have more information.

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

I want to third this! Just discovered my modern UWP 1Password has been 'downgraded' to a desktop app automatically. I use the UWP app on my phone too and this appears to be still working. What have you done?

• fmonfort
    fmonfort
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I can report that I have the same issue, I was very happy with my UWP app, been using it for a long time now, and now somehow my app has become super crappy and not touch friendly at all.

At first I didn't know what had happened, I'm using a Surface Book so in detached mode I tried using it, and then noticed the animations weren't going smoothly and the title bar of the Window had gone back to old app style. Then tried to press a couple of buttons, and noticed all the context menus for Windows 10 were replaced by some grey small buttons.

Then noticed it wasn't using facial recognition anymore to log me in.

Then noticed it's all bright white, it's not using the dark theme anymore.

I'm like huuuummmm.... what's happening?

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm really sorry for the trouble here, folks! 1Password was pulled from the Windows Store a while ago (at least a month, perhaps much longer) as it was an old beta. We were as surprised as you that you got the new app the other day, as it wasn't supposed to be available publicly. We've gotten that sorted out with Microsoft, and while I can't say when it will be available to everyone, we're working on a new version of the Windows Store (UWP) app for you.

• TildaColon
    TildaColon
    Community Member
    Options

I have an email thread going with support, where they suggested that I re-install from My Library. But that results in the same (Project Centennial?) version. Can you provide an estimated date when the UWP version will be back, please? I need to decide how many computer / user combinations I move on to the desktop app (temporarily) whilst waiting for the UWP app, and how many I leave without a password manager for the moment.

• HalfBekend
    HalfBekend
    Community Member
    Options

I am lost. How can I tell which version I have: desktop or UWP version. The version number says 6.1.304d and I suddenly had to reconnect to all my vaults...

• Hi guys,

We apologize for the waiting, we're trying to figure the next step as none of this was supposed to happen in the first place. We didn't release the build but we're removed it quickly within hours after your reports here.

We had an internal converted build going through the internal review process to see if we'd get approved but that was unintentionally released as a public update afterward. The plan was to keep testing it internally without releasing it to the public. That's why you're seeing things like the updates tab that wouldn't be there, this is just the same as the desktop build.

First thing first, we're still going to work on the UWP version of 1Password alongside our desktop version, we want to see if we can bring over UWP features to the desktop version as well like Windows Hello and other APIs that are available in the Windows Store.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a way to undo this or roll it back for people who didn't get the desktop version, so we had to remove 1Password from the Windows Store. We're investigating to see how to fix this properly with Microsoft but we don't have an ETA on the next step.

Our main blocker is that we can't push an older UWP app to people with the desktop build, the internal data database has been migrated already and that means the older UWP won't be able to read it. We don't have a newer UWP version that's fully ready for you guys to use, so, we're trying to figure this out with the right path.

For now, if you have 6.1.304d, you should uninstall it from Control Panel and download the latest stable desktop version from our site here: https://www.1Password.com/downloads

We may have to ship the next stable desktop version to the Windows Store as 6.1.304d is not stable and that would mean everyone on desktops would get the desktop build instead while everyone on the Windows Phone gets the UWP app.

@HalfBekend, you're using the desktop version. The d at the end of the version string means desktop while u means UWP. You'll want to uninstall it from the Control Panel and download the latest desktop version from our site: https://www.1Password.com/downloads

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

So best way forward would appear to be - remove this 'unauthorised' version from the Windows store (which you've done). Create new UWP product in the Windows Store as a separate product (so anyone who has not uninstalled it won't get updated automatically). As only Windows 10 and 8 have access to Windows store - then the store would be a good place to keep just the UWP version and you'll be able to access 400million users. Windows 7/8 users can continue to download the older win32 version via your download links. No more confusion.

For those who have the unauthorised desktop version - we just need to uninstall that version, then re-install either the desktop version (for now) via your website and wait for the official UWP version when it comes to Windows store (hopefully in the new few weeks).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@architect1337: I wouldn't call it "unauthorized". That makes it sound illegal or something. :lol:

But I certainly wouldn't recommend that anyone continue using it. It is a prerelease version, and it's already been superseded by several newer builds.

You're right though: ultimately we want to have an app for both folks running older versions of Windows and also those using Windows 10. It's good that the old UWP app is gone, but the way it happened was unfortunate and I'm sorry for the inconvenience and confusion that's caused. I'm not certain when it will be ready, but we're looking forward to having a solid app for all of our awesome Windows users. :blush:

• danr
    danr
    Community Member
    Options

I'm going to have a Lumia 950XL on the way tomorrow; will we be seeing a release before the end of 2016?

The last Windows Phone I owned had the 1Password Alpha on it, so I'm not sure whether or not the MS store will allow me to download the latest version before the store issue. 1Password is obviously a must have :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We'd certainly be very happy if we're able to get it ready for everyone sooner rather than later, but at this time it's impossible to say. I guess a lot can (and will) happen before the end of 2016, but 33 days doesn't seem to me like much time at all. We're working as hard as we can to get it done though, and I'd be happy to be proven wrong! :)

• HalfBekend
    HalfBekend
    Community Member
    Options

Just to be sure: what will be the requirements for a Windows10 phone to be able to run the UWP app? Will it need to have specific features? For instance: will it need to be able to run Continuum? Any other requirements?
    (This because I never understood why they say there is only 1 Windows10, but in fact for phones it was released later, letting me believe it is a different version. Also, it seems that not all features that are built into W10 function whatever the hardware: hello needs specific hardware and also Continuum needs specific hardware.)
    Using 1Password without being able to use it on my Windows10 Phone does not make any sense.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HalfBekend: Indeed. Any UWP app has only a single requirement: Windows 10. However, there will likely be requirements for specific features, such as Windows Hello, as you mentioned, which needs a supported camera. But I guess that's more of a requirement for Windows than 1Password itself. I'm not certain that Continuum will be relevant to 1Password, but it may be something we consider down the road if folks want to be able to use the desktop app through Continuum on their phones. But I'm not sure that's likely, given that Windows phone hardware doesn't seem to have much of a future. :(

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

That's a controversial point there Brent? ;-)

I personally think Continuum will absolutely be relevant to 1Password. If I'm using my phone as a handset and need 1Password, it's there. If I decide to drop it into a dock and continue to work on my phone via a big screen - I'd still expect 1Password to be available as I need it to get my passwords /private data.

That's the good thing about UWP - you build one project and can use it everywhere. You can't use win32 apps on Windows phone yet (and even with the rumoured x86 emulation coming along, I'm not sure you'd want to. Build for the future is my view.)

Finally - with regard to Windows Phone hardware. Lumia is being discontinued and replaced by phones from HP, Alcatel and Acer (all out now). Whether the platform as a whole succeeds, though, is based on decisions by developers such as yourselves.

The good thing about Team / Families / Personal is that you should be able to track user platform for your products. More mature products such as iOS, Mac and Android (which you've had available for a while) are obviously going to have more users. Windows 10 mobile (which has only been out for less than a year on 950 and only about 9 months on other models) will no doubt have less users but at least you have the metrics.

Finally - there is the future. As a developer - you understand that most of your users are cross platform i.e. have an iPhone and Windows PC, or a Windows Phone and a Mac. Having a fully functional UWP product can only help you support all your users platforms won't it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's a controversial point there Brent? ;-)

@architect1337: Haha! Fair enough. Perhaps the way I presented it was. ;)

I personally think Continuum will absolutely be relevant to 1Password. If I'm using my phone as a handset and need 1Password, it's there. If I decide to drop it into a dock and continue to work on my phone via a big screen - I'd still expect 1Password to be available as I need it to get my passwords /private data.

I may be misunderstanding either you or Microsoft with regard to Continuum. The UWP app should work on any Windows 10 device regardless. I think Continuum only comes into play if you want to run desktop apps. That's what remains to be seen.

That's the good thing about UWP - you build one project and can use it everywhere. You can't use win32 apps on Windows phone yet (and even with the rumoured x86 emulation coming along, I'm not sure you'd want to. Build for the future is my view.)

That's sort of what I was getting at. Even if the new 1Password Windows desktop app works with Continuum in the future, that sounds like...not a good experience, which is where the hardware comes into play.

Finally - with regard to Windows Phone hardware. Lumia is being discontinued and replaced by phones from HP, Alcatel and Acer (all out now). Whether the platform as a whole succeeds, though, is based on decisions by developers such as yourselves.

I wish that were the case. Windows phones are a vanishingly small part of the overall market, and Microsoft doesn't seem to be giving it much support. Having 1Password there doesn't change that, and the only way we're able to support it at all going forward is UWP.

The good thing about Team / Families / Personal is that you should be able to track user platform for your products. More mature products such as iOS, Mac and Android (which you've had available for a while) are obviously going to have more users. Windows 10 mobile (which has only been out for less than a year on 950 and only about 9 months on other models) will no doubt have less users but at least you have the metrics.

We really don't. I mean, we can have a general idea of how many Windows phone users visit our website at all, but no way of knowing these are people who'd use 1Password there. With a native app it's sort of a chicken and egg problem: without one, there are no downloads to track either, and that would be done through the Windows Store.

Finally - there is the future. As a developer - you understand that most of your users are cross platform i.e. have an iPhone and Windows PC, or a Windows Phone and a Mac. Having a fully functional UWP product can only help you support all your users platforms won't it?

That's true, but there are other platforms that 1Password users would like us to build native apps for as well, and we can't do everything. But it sounds like you're trying to convince me that we should have a UWP app when we already do. It needs some work before we release a new version, but it's only a matter of time. ;)

• TildaColon
    TildaColon
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure if there's confusion here, but there's two Continuums - the one for phones / small tablets that run Windows 10 Mobile and another for desktop Windows (that was mentioned as Continuum before Windows 10 was released and is now called tablet mode in Settings).

The 1Password UWP app (running on a phone) supports Continuum right now. I use it every week at work, to connect my Lumia phone to a Microsoft Display Dock to do personal work at lunchtime without having to do this on my work laptop (which is monitored, etc.). As an aside, the same dock also works with a work Dell XPS laptop through the same Thunderbolt 3 connector that the Lumia phone has to act as a docking station (albeit without the power).

I don't have a tablet or Windows convertible, but I presume the 1Password UWP app also has the potential to converts to a more touch-friendly layout with tablet mode on the a desktop.

Even as a proper UWP app on desktop Windows, Continuum does not apply: It's a feature of UWP apps, whilst running on phones / small tablets, that allows them to use the Continuum feature (when connected to a dock or Miracast display).

Off topic: Is there a reason why the UWP app (especially running on phones, which have no keyboard) doesn't support unlocking the 1Password database initially using Windows Hello? The MSDN page (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/security/microsoft-passport) suggests that the UWP app can require attestation of the secure storage of the key in a hardware TPM (which all Windows phones have had since Windows Phone 8, as they can have BitLocker toggled in Settings) and therefore know it is secure (like the Secure Enclave on IOS)? If the device using the UWP app (including desktop Windows) does not have a hardware TPM, then 1Password could detect this and fall back requiring password to unlock.

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Yes, that is my interpretation too. It will be nice to see monitors of the future have a USB-C hub built in so you just plug your Continuum phone / small tablet in via a cable and get the big screen experience. This is why the UWP app is important to us Windows 10 mobile users - it supports this. It also supports Windows Hello etc for desktops like the Surface Pro. Unfortunately - it is also possible to write a UWP app that just supports desktop, or just Xbox or just mobile.

Anyway - as brenty has alluded to - a UWP 1Password is in the works. Let's just hope it supports both Desktop (Surface Pro line) and Windows 10 mobile line (1 app to rule them all).

• MikeT
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi guys,

I think TildaColon nailed it, there might have been confusion on what Continuum is but it is definitely a part of all UWP apps and nothing to do with running the desktop programs as UWP apps can turn into the desktop layouts like 1Password does already.

We don't release details on how many users or % but UWP version of 1Password is a popular app, especially since a lot of people looked for 1Password first in the Windows Store, not our website. Unfortunately, a lot of users were expecting to see the browser extension support first, which is only supported with the desktop version and so, both desktop/UWP versions will continue to coexist for a while, at least until Microsoft can figure out a better solution for us.

We have every desire to maintain the UWP version of 1Password, Microsoft wants it to be the future for all Windows and we want to be a part of that future. I know the future of 1Password on Windows is.. very difficult to picture but we're working on it.

Speaking of Continuum, HP Elite x3 is definitely a very cool device with its lap dock, I'm been impressed with HP lately with its Spectre laptop lineup and now Elite X3. Hopefully, they'll keep it going and I can't wait to see the rumored HP Elite X4 that supposedly will be revealed at CES '17 in Jan.

@TildaColon,

I don't have a tablet or Windows convertible, but I presume the 1Password UWP app also has the potential to converts to a more touch-friendly layout with tablet mode on the a desktop.

Yes, a lot of people were using the UWP version of 1Password on computers like this, it does turn into the desktop layout as it should in Continuum as well. Huge benefit is the limited Windows Hello support, as long as you keep 1Password running, it'll unlock with your biometric system or Windows' PIN code.

Off topic: Is there a reason why the UWP app (especially running on phones, which have no keyboard) doesn't support unlocking the 1Password database initially using Windows Hello?

The main reason is time and resource, we need to analyze how Windows Hello works as our security folks has some concerns about it and we need to answer their questions before we can implement it. TPM is not available on all devices, which is going to cause further confusion as well.

Considering the recent BitLocker issue during upgrades, we'd rather be safe than sorry.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TildaColon, @architect1337: Thanks! I'd actually forgotten completely about pre-Windows 10 "Continuum", and my issue is that — while I understand the function Continuum serves (going forward) — I've really struggled with a way to frame it...and Microsoft presenting it as an app feature (when really it's an OS feature) doesn't help. I'm less confused about the feature than I am how to discuss it if that makes sense. :lol:

Mike mentioned this to me as well, and pointed me to an excellent Microsoft blog post that I'd missed. Good info there, but for some reason it helps me to recontextualize it in terms of iOS. iOS developers need to use Autolayout so that their apps will scale to the various iPhone and iPad screen sizes, but this isn't something users need to worry about. Users just go to the App Store and install apps, and it just works.

And with regard to Continuum, I think this is more like if Apple announced that you could dock your iPhone and connected it to a monitor, to use it on a big screen with a keyboard and mouse. Except Microsoft is doing this with Windows phones. That's really the only thing that's different in both cases — display scaling and input — and it's part of our process for developing the UWP app anyway, since we need to support a wide variety of display sizes and input methods (for phones, tablets, laptops, and desktops).*

Continuum just means you, as a user, will be able to dock your phone and use it like a computer; Windows does the rest (app developers have to do some work too, but we already do to support different device classes). You probably already know that, but I wanted to lay it all out in a way that makes sense to me, and perhaps that may help someone else as well. Cheers! :)

*So I don't confuse things again, we'll just forget about x86-on-ARM for now, as that's not a sure thing anyway.;)

This discussion has been closed.