Freezing and delay when unlocking 1Password

Options
CraigG
CraigG
Community Member

I am running 6.3.5 (635001) on macOS 10.12.1 using Dropbox to sync. Ever since upgrading to 10.12 I experience consistent freezing and delay of up to a minute or longer for 1Password to unlock after entering password. Need help troubleshooting.

1Password Version: 6.3.5 (635001)
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: macOS 10.12.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:freez

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CraigG

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with 1Password. I would like you to please try to reset your Dropbox Sync and see if that helps. To reset Dropbox sync please go to 1Password Preferences and pick the option "Sync". Set it to "None" and completely quit 1Password. Then open 1Password again and set 1Password to sync via Dropbox again.

Please let us know what happens when you've done this and if it was of any help :chuffed:

• CraigG
    CraigG
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Pilar,

Thanks so much for your response. Rather than reset Dropbox I switched the syncing to iCloud, it seemed to solve the issue. I then switched the syncing back to Dropbox and so far so good. Thanks again.

CG

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news, @CraigG! On behalf of Pilar, you're quite welcome. Thanks for following up to let us know that switching to a different sync method and then back to Dropbox seems to have solved the problem for you.

If you need more help with 1Password, just let us know - we're here for you! :)

• CraigG
    CraigG
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi,

Unfortunately I have been struggling to use 1Password on my Mac since a few days after my last post (11/13/16). My solution was short lived- a day or so. In any case it is 1Password mini that seems to be causing the problem. I am desperate for a fix- I dread getting a sign on request from any website as I know I am in for a 3 or 4 minute battle.

I would like to eradicate 1 password entirely from my mac (accept for my 1Password.agilekeychain) and then reinstall. Are there any instructions on where to ferret out any and all files, folders and preferences that are related to 1Password?. Thanks.

CG

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CraigG,

I'm sorry to hear the problem returned! Just to make sure I understand: When you enter your master password to unlock 1Password, it freezes for a few minutes before finally unlocking. Is that correct? If so, we'll need a few more details about the problem and your current setup:

• What exact version of the 1Password app is currently installed on your Mac? (We've released a couple updates since you first contacted us.)
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • Does the unlock delay happen when trying to unlock it from the 1Password browser extension, or the main 1Password app, or both?
    • If the problem happens when unlocking from the browser extension, what web browser are you using, and what version?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is currently installed in that browser?
    • Are you still syncing your 1Password data via Dropbox?
    • If so, and if you go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync and change the setting to None, does the same problem happen when you lock/unlock 1Password again?
    • You said 1Password mini seems to be causing the problem - can you please elaborate on that?
    • From the main 1Password app, if you go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini, does the same problem happen when you unlock it again?
    • If you reboot your Mac and unlock 1Password, does the same delay happen?

Thanks in advance! :)

• CraigG
    CraigG
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,

Thanks for your response. Answers below corresponding to your questions:

• I am running 1Password 6 Version 6.5.2 (652003) on MacOS 10.12.1

• I am using the AgileBits Store version.

• The unlock delay occurs when I unlock it from the 1Password browser extension as well as launching the 1Password app.

• The unlock delay occurs in both FireFox 50.0.1 and Safari Version 10.0.1 (12602.2.14.0.7).

• I am using 1Password extension 4.6.2 for FireFox and 1Password extension 4.6.1 for Safari.

• Still syncing using DropBox.

• Changing Sync setting to None- results in normal open and unlock speed!!!

• When launching the app (before entering my password) I often receive a "Connecting to 1Password Mini" dialog box with a blue status bar that ever so slowly moves along and often results in a "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini- Please restart 1Password. If this does not help, please contact AgileBits support."

• Quiting and restarting 1Password immediately after restarting 1Password Mini from the Troubleshooting menu does not seem to make a difference.

• Reboot sometime resolves the issue but not for very long. I have tested without opening any other programs- same result.

CG

• CraigG
    CraigG
    Community Member
    Options

I spoke too soon- quick open and unlock after changing Sync setting to None lasted only a couple of hours. "Connecting to 1Password Mini" dialog box" appeared and took a minute or so to open.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @CraigG!

...quick open and unlock after changing Sync setting to None lasted only a couple of hours.

Had you re-enabled sync with Dropbox by that point, or was it still set to 'None' in the sync settings?

• When launching the app (before entering my password) I often receive a "Connecting to 1Password Mini" dialog box with a blue status bar that ever so slowly moves along and often results in a "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini- Please restart 1Password. If this does not help, please contact AgileBits support."

Hmm, that's strange, but I think it's probably an important clue about what's causing the problem. There are several different reasons why the "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" error might happen. We have a few troubleshooting suggestions here: If you see "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" when trying to open 1Password

If you try the suggestions that apply to you (and which you haven't already tried), do they help at all? If not, please try this:

• Go to the Applications folder and drag 1Password 6.app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools).
    • Empty the Trash, then reboot your Mac.
    • After the reboot, download a fresh copy of 1Password from our download site.
    • Open the .pkg file and follow the steps to complete the installation.
    • After it's installed, double-click the new app in Applications to open it.

If that seems to help, wait a couple hours or so to see if the problem comes back again. If it does, do you happen to be using a new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar / Touch ID?

• CraigG
    CraigG
    Community Member
    Options

Drew,

To answer your question I had not re-enabled sync with Dropbox, it was still set to None at the time I wrote my last post.

The good news is that all is back to normal- although I violated cardinal rule #1 of troubleshooting. I changed multiple things at the same time, leaving us without a definitive answer on exactly what solved the problem

• I deleted 1Password 6.app and emptied the trash and rebooted.
    • I then updated MacOS to 10.12.2 and rebooted.
    • I then downloaded and installed a fresh copy of 1Password from the agile bits site making sure I was back to syncing with DropBox.

I performed all of the aforementioned about 3 days ago and 1Password has been functioning as normal ever since. I learned a valuable lesson- "life not so good with 1Password not working as it should".

Thanks for your help.

CG

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! It sounds like 1Password was simply damaged, but I'm glad to hear that all is well now. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.