1Password Windows Beta Goes Offscreen, cannot access

Options
kevinthegenius
kevinthegenius
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

When I open the 1Password window, I cannot see it. When opening/closing by clicking the icon on the taskbar, it seems to fade in and out of an object off the screen (to the right). I can't seem to get to it in any way that I know of.

I don't know if this has anything to do with having 3 monitors (1920x1080p x 3). I have disconnected the 2 extra screens through the Windows Display settings, and still have the same problem. The window shows up when I Alt+Tab.

I don't see any way to correct this with the Chrome extension. I choose "Open 1Password" from settings and have the same response.

Sorry, I cannot tell you what version I'm running since I cannot access the window to see. I recall that it auto-updated a 2-3 days ago.

Any advice? Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 6.1.296d
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hi @kevinthegenius,

Thanks for writing in.

We have a bug with our window state restoration, it is not factoring in the multiple monitors and various resolutions. Once disconnected, it cannot be restored properly onto the primary monitor.

Can you email us at support+windowsbeta@agilebits.com with the link to this thread, we have a workaround available with a beta build that's not yet published.

• kevinthegenius
    kevinthegenius
    Community Member
    Options

I sent the email.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kevinthegenius: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll get back to you shortly! :)

ref: SGN-82931-593

• drwho
    drwho
    Community Member
    Options

I'm experiencing the same issue on my setup ( I have a dual monitor setup). When do you expect to issue a patch? I will also send an email as suggested to kevinthegenius.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@drwho: There isn't a simple fix for window positioning that will work on all setups, but we're investigating options to help with this issue.

In the mean time though, version 6.1.308 (current stable release as of this writing) includes a way of resetting the position if necessary:

Holding the "Control + Alt" keyboard shortcut while opening 1Password will bypass the window state restoration process, this is useful for when your monitor setup has changed.

I hope this helps! :)

• drwho
    drwho
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

@brenty This workaround does not work in my case. I've exited 1Password6 from the taskbar and launched it while holding down the ctrl+alt keys with no change in behaviour. I should note that trying to access the options screen from the settings menu also results in no window being displayed. Currently, 1Password has become a lookup program because clicking on anything causes it to launch new browser sessions.

Update: Ignore the above. Reason: I thought I was on the latest rev but turns out I was not. I downloaded/installed the latest from the above link and tried to reset the window position and it worked.

Many thanks!

• Hi @drwho,

That's great, thanks for letting us know. We'll get this fixed properly.

• ninjawa
    ninjawa
    Community Member
    Options

I've experienced this too and my workaround for it is to shift-right-click on 1Password in the task bar and select 'maximize'. That brings the window over to my main window and maximizes it.

• That works as well. Thanks for the suggestion, ninjawa.

• MikeD79
    MikeD79
    Community Member
    Options

I'm experiencing the same issue.

Windows 10 Enterprise
    v 1607
    OS Build 14393.693
    8 GB RAM
    64-bit OS

Desktop app launches and flies out to the mid-right-hand corner offscreen. Cannot pull back to primary desktop, even if no other displays are present.

• MikeT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @MikeD79,

Thanks for writing in, did you see the workaround mentioned here? Exit 1Password by right-clicking on the 1Password icon in your notification area to select Exit. Now, press and hold Control + Alt keyboard shortcut while you open 1Password, it'll reset the window location data and center itself onto your primary monitor.

• MikeD79
    MikeD79
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT

I had, but couldn't get it to work (I was trying to close it in the taskbar, not the notification area). After figuring that out, it works. Thanks for the quick reply!

• You're welcome, I'm glad it helped. We'll improve the window tracking better in a future update, we'll see if we can reset whenever the monitors setup has changed.

This discussion has been closed.