Touch ID enabled but prompted for Master Password

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Missing Touch ID setting.

Comments

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben, I too am having an issue where Touch ID is already enabled within the 1Password iOS app, and fingerprints have been added in iOS itself. This has been the environment for over a year.

But now, within the last month specifically, Touch ID within 1Password disappears as an option on the login screen to get into my 1P data - the only option available is to manually type in my Master Password.

And yet, once in the app on the security tab, Touch ID is clearly enabled.

What gives?

Screenshots:

and once in the app, it is clear that Touch ID is already enabled:

• Ben
    Options

Hi @southernforge

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I've split your comment off into its own thread. The other was about not seeing the Touch ID option at all, whereas you do, which to me seems like a different issue.

Could you please check and see what you have set for the 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password setting?

Thanks!

Ben

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben

I launched 1Password, and navigated to Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password setting. It is set to "Never"

• Ben
    Options

@southernforge,

Okay, thanks! I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iPhone:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

I'm starting to notice that recently I have been getting prompted for the master password again, when in advanced settings I have it set to only prompt me every 2 weeks - and its prompting me every few days (possibly every day). This was an issue a few releases back where there was some confusion about a setting but I'm pretty sure its configured correctly and I don't think my phone has rebooted as touchid works for unlocking the phone.

• Ben
    Options

@365nice,

Sorry to hear of the continued trouble. Next time you are expecting to be prompted for Touch ID but are instead prompted for your Master Password (with no Quick Unlock icon) please send us a diagnostic report per the above. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - just sent a diagnostic report. This morning I was asked to enter a password on 1p. My settings are every 2 weeks and I last entered it 19/11@8am. This morning (21/11 7:30) I was asked again, however my iPhone login also strangely asked for it too (possibly my phone reset overnight? But it's odd). So I entered my 1p password this morning and now I was just asked again several hours later - which is definitely wrong and in line with my feeling that something is going on with password prompting.

• Ben
    Options

@365nice,

I don't see any reports in our inbox from the email address you have registered here on the forums. Could you please let me know what your Support ID is?

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Also, just to be clear: there was no Quick Unlock (fingerprint) icon when you were prompted for your Master Password, right? Or was there?

Thanks!

Ben

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - oops, I sent it with a different default email address - the ref is: #SFQ-16188-634.

Yes - there was no Quick Unlock fingerprint icon, I could only enter my master password. This morning, I could partially explain that because my phone seemed to want a password too when I first used it (not sure why - as I used it last night, then plugged in to charge and picked it up this morning). However a few hours later when I know my phone hadn't rebooted, and I had just unlocked it with a fingerprint and then gone to use 1P (which might actually have been the app last running using the built in web-browser) and it looked like this morning - the prompt for the password with no touchid option at all. So I went and sent the diagnostics as you indicated.

Subsequently during the day now, its been fine and touchid has been working as expected. And I suspect I wont see this issue for a few days now (long enough to forget when I last entered it).

Tim

• Ben
    Options

Okay, thanks Tim!

Ben

ref: SFQ-16188-634

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

FYI - i got a very detailed reply from the Dev team. In 1 case it is a bug that is been looked at, in another case there is something weird happening with Apple's Api - particularly if you click the home button when using Touch ID (which is apples suggestion when using ios10). My phone is ios9, but I have other devices on 10 and had picked up the habit. It's marginally better if I try not to do it.

I wasn't going mad at least.

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben,
    I regret the delay in responding to you - the day you asked me to send in the diagnostics report, I inadvertently killed the phone, and had to get a new one. Ever since that point, 1Password has been performing flawlessly, and I kinda forgot to follow up with you ... I'm sorry about that!

• Ben
    Options

Thank you both for the updates. :)

Ben

• unknowndomain
    unknowndomain
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to note at some point mine changed from Device Reboot to 1 hour and I have spent months being annoyed at this, it's a bit too hidden and I am not really sure why.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @unknowndomain,

I'm sorry to hear this somehow changed for you. We intentionally have it in an Advanced menu so that folks don't run into a scenario like you've described unintentionally by playing with it.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.