Switching from Mac to PC

I just purchased a new laptop that is a PC rather than a Mac. I have a Mac license for 1Password 6, do I need to purchase a new license to use it on my PC? If not, how do I go about downloading 1Password onto my new laptop with my old, Mac license? Also, I'm confused about subscription vs license. I purchased 1Password several years ago as a one-time purchase, so I think I just have a license only?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• JacobJacob

Team Member
    edited November 2016

Hi @dndouglas! I’m sorry for the confusion about an account. Let's clear that up first. We recently introduced a 1Password subscription service, which has automatic sync between your devices, access to 1Password anywhere, and an account to access everything. Since you purchased 1Password a while back, you didn't get an account with the new service. You can create one to get the benefits accounts include (see that blog post I just linked to for more info), or you can keep using 1Password as you always have.

However, you could also create an account and get 1Password 6 for Windows, then use that going forward. I'd recommend this route since you'll always have the latest version, your data will automatically sync and get backed up, and you can use 1Password on any of your other devices with the subscription. :) Let me know what you prefer.

• Hi, Jacob. I think I'd like to deactivate my Mac license and get a Windows one instead. Right now I'm using 1Password v.6.5.2 on my Mac. Will I be able to use v. 6 on Windows with the Windows license you'll give me, or would I need to start paying for the subscription for that? I don't want to pay for the subscription, I've already purchased the iPhone app and am syncing via Dropbox.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@dndouglas: Indeed, 1Password for Windows version 6 works with the 1Password subscription service. While a 1Password for Mac license isn't valid for 1Password for Windows and vice versa, shoot us an email at [email protected] with a link to this discussion and we'll see what we can do to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.