My 1Password does not automatically fill in on many of our sites What should I do?

Options
burnha
burnha
Community Member

One by one each of our sites who click do not fill on and download the site.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:My 1Password does not automatically fill in on many of our sites What should I do?

Comments

• burnha
    burnha
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Over the last 2 weeks our different sites on 1 password do not load when we click on the Log in. What should I do?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@burnha: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately without some basic information which you left out of your original post, it's impossible to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, are you having trouble with specific sites? If so, be sure to include the URLs! Often simply manually saving the login will save additional information that will allow 1Password to work though. Thanks in advance! :)

• burnha
    burnha
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for your reply. Here are my versions-OS-OX El Capitan,version 10.11.4, 1Password version 6.5.2, browser Safari-version 9.1, Not sure about extensions , How do I find the version for extensions? I'm not exactly sure what extensions are. I tried to manually save the login for Facebook and wasn't able to. At this point, Facebook is not working and many of our other sites. Quick question- What happens if I use the reset option? Do I lose all my passwords? Thanks so much. I'll wait for your email.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@burnha: There are instructions for finding the browser extension version in the link I included in my previous reply:

Find your version of the browser extension

In Safari, this is under Preferences > Extensions. This is what allows 1Password to integrate with the browser to save and fill logins. If it isn't up to date, that may explain the trouble you're having.

And again, please let me know the extract steps you're taking where you're running into trouble!

• burnha
    burnha
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again for your reply. I feel connected! My extension version is 4.6.1 . Whenever we try to open a site such as Facebook after signing into 1 password, We click on the Facebook and there is no autofill.It was interesting when I went toPreferences>extensions>passwords, there were a number of sites that had no user name and no password saved. I thought this was strange. I hope this helps. Look forward to hearing from you.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @burnha,

Thank you for the additional details! :)

...when I went toPreferences>extensions>passwords, there were a number of sites that had no user name and no password saved.

'Extensions' and 'Passwords' are two different tabs in Safari's Preferences - details about the 1Password extension can be found on the Extensions tab, but that doesn't show any of your personal data (like usernames or passwords). So it sounds like you may have been looking at the Passwords tab in the Preferences, which is for Safari's built-in password manager. That's completely separate from 1Password and might be causing some confusion, so if you haven't already done so, you can disable it by following the steps here: Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Getting back to the problem with 1Password, we'll need to know some specific details about how you're using it to fill sign-in forms on websites. Can you please let us know the answers to these questions:

• What are the exact steps you normally take to have 1Password fill sign-in forms on websites?
    • What happens if you click on the URL field of a Login item in the main 1Password app?
    • What happens if you open a website by choosing a Login item from the 1Password extension in the browser?
    • What happens if you go to a website first, and then choose the matching Login item from the 1Password extension?
    • When using the extension, do you click the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar, or do you use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut?

Thanks in advance!

• burnha
    burnha
    Community Member
    Options

We click on the 1 password icon at the top of our Mac laptop, scroll through our log ins, hit the website address listed below our password and user name and pull down "open and fill". It used to open the website and automatically fill in both password and username, now it only opens the website. We go back into 1 password and scroll down till we get to the log in we are wanting, and copy and paste the password, then go back into 1 password, find our log in again, then copy and pasted the username. It used to be a one step, now it takes several. Our iPad still works with one click, but not our laptop.

• burnha
    burnha
    Community Member
    Options

If we click the URL field, the website opens but does not autofill. I'm not sure what you mean by choosing the Login item from the 1 password extension in the browser. We use the 1password icon in the Safari toolbar.

In 2014 we set up a time to meet with a rep on the phone. Do you offer that service anymore?

Thanks for your help.

• burnha
    burnha
    Community Member
    Options

I have tried opening all my sites through 1password. Only one autofills. I can get into sites by copying and pasting the user name and password. This is time intensive and different from the autofill feature we had grown used to. Hope this helps.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @burnha

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with 1Password. What you describe is very weird! First of all, could you please go to Preferences in 1Password then pick the tab Browsers and make sure that "Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords" is enabled? If it is, there's a test that I'd like you to do so we can get some more information of what might be going on here :chuffed: Please go to any site that you're having trouble with and try to save the login manually again. Give the new login a name like "Site Test" or something that will help you identify which one is the new one. Please check if the login you just created works as it should or if you find the same problem and let us know what you find out :chuffed:

I hope to hear back from you soon so we can get to the bottom of this!

• burnha
    burnha
    Community Member
    Options

I am so frustrated. I followed the first part of your insructions. The automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords is enabled. Then I went in and followed the instructions for save the log in manually. I went into Facebook and manually entered the user name and password and then clicked the 1password icon on the IRL. I got no prompts about entering my password. I am unclear about how to give my new login a name. Thanks so much for all your help.I tried to open up Facebook and it did not fill in.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @burnha,

I'm sorry this has been so frustrating for you! The good news is that I think we're close to figuring this out.

From your various descriptions, it sounds as if the 1Password browser extension is either not installed in Safari, or is installed but unable to connect to 1Password mini. If the extension isn't installed or can't communicate with 1Password mini, opening a Login item from mini or the main app will open the site in your browser but won't fill your username/password (that seems to match what you've described).

You also previously said you find & select your Login items by clicking the 1Password icon in the menubar at the top of your Mac (that's the icon for 1Password mini), and you seemed confused when I asked about the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar (that's the icon for the 1Password extension). Can you please double-check to make sure the 1Password extension is installed in Safari and enabled:

• Open Safari, then click the Safari menu in the menubar and choose Preferences.
    • In the Preferences window, click the Extensions tab.
    • On the left side of that window, look for the 1Password extension.
    • Assuming the 1Password extension is there, make sure there's a check mark in the box to the left of it.
    • Click once on the 1Password extension, and in the details to the right, it should show version 4.6.1.

If the extension is installed, enabled, and up-to-date, make sure you see the extension button in Safari's toolbar. It should look just like this:

If you don't have that button in Safari's toolbar, you can add it by following the steps here: If you don't see the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar

Now, if that icon is there (and if it's working), you should be able to follow our steps to manually save a new Login item. However, it sounds like something went wrong:

I went into Facebook and manually entered the user name and password and then clicked the 1password icon on the IRL. I got no prompts about entering my password.

When you clicked the 1Password extension icon, what did you see instead? If it's working, you should be able to click on a 'gear' icon to the right of the Search field, and then choose the option to Save new Login:

If you don't see that, can you please describe what you see instead? Once we understand what's happening (or not happening) on your end, we should have a better idea what to do next. Thanks so much for your patience! :)

• burnha
    burnha
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for your prompt response. I followed the first steps you suggested. I got into Safari preferences. 1Password was there.The box was checked that said enable 1Password. It was in truth version 4.6.1.

I followed the steps for manually saving a new login. I went to Facebook. Put in my user name and password. Clicked the button in my browser. Nothing happened. Went to the gear and clicked save new login. I was not sure how to do step 5 give new log in a unique name. When I go to the gear this is what I see.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @burnha,

Thanks for the screenshot! You're following the right steps and you're in the right place - you just need to select "Save new Login". In your screenshot, that's the very first option, right there at the top of that menu:

When you select that, you should see a window like this one:

If you see that, you can change the title of the new Login item you're about to save. In the screenshot, the title is "Facebook". For troubleshooting purposes, we suggest changing it to something unique in order to easily tell it apart from your other Login item for that same site.

If the new Login item works correctly, that probably means there was a problem with the old Login item (in that case, you can delete the old one). Or if the new Login item has the same problem, that probably means your Login items are fine, and something is preventing the 1Password extension from filling correctly.

On the other hand, if you aren't able to save a new Login item because the "Save Login" window (from my above screenshot) doesn't appear when you choose "Save new Login", that's probably related to why it's not filling your login info on websites.

Just let us know how it all goes and what you see, and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• burnha
    burnha
    Community Member
    Options

When I try to create a new log-in and I save it, I do not get this prompt(see screen shot)![I did receive the following suggestion from one of your techs. What do you think?
    Hey Dave,

Thanks for getting in touch with us! My name is Lisa and I'm here to help you today :)

It sounds as though the 1Password extension either hasn't been installed or isn't working in your browser. Can you try the steps below to see if that fixes the problem for you?

Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
    Select the 1Password Extension and click Uninstall.
    Restart your computer.
    Go to https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions and install the latest extension.

If it's still not working after completing those steps, can you please create a Diagnostics Report so I can investigate this further? To create the report, follow the instructions below:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject of your diagnostics email before you hit "Send" (this will link your diagnostics to our current discussion):

[#SLZ-15937-692]

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @burnha,

I hadn't noticed you also sent us an email about this - thank you for mentioning that! The message you included in your post is the latest email Lisa sent you, and she's been waiting to hear back from you. Please try the steps she gave you, and if that doesn't help, follow the steps to email a diagnostics report.

I'll update the email conversation with details from this forum discussion. To avoid confusion, we'll keep the conversation going directly via email so we don't duplicate efforts between here and there. Thanks! :)

ref: SLZ-15937-692

• burnha
    burnha
    Community Member
    Options

It's fixed! I followed Lisa's idea and reinstalled the browser! It worked. Thank you so much, everyone for all your help! Well done!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that reinstalling did the trick. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.