Newbie is set up, but can't make it work on on-line accounts

Options
sheeleyb
sheeleyb
Community Member

I have set up my Master password and entered my log ins as instructed. So then I went out and tried to log in to LinkedIn (for example) used my master password and was informed my password was incorrect. I have a feeling I am missing something here. User error... I need to understand how to apply the tool once it's set up. Feel a bit foolish for asking... _B

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @sheeleyb,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

tried to log in to LinkedIn (for example) used my master password and was informed my password was incorrect

Yes, that isn't how it works. ;)

Your Master Password is not a replacement for the passwords for each of your accounts. Your accounts still have their own passwords. Your Master Password should only ever be entered into 1Password.

You can learn about how to save logins into 1Password, and then fill them, here:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Over time we'd recommend changing your passwords to more secure ones using the 1Password password generator. Ideally every account would use a strong and unique password.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• sheeleyb
    sheeleyb
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info. Have figured out the web use of extensions but still having trouble with apps. Not seeing any 1Password icons at the log in prompt (Instagram, linked in, word press, etc). All have been set up in 1Password with the appropriate info, so I am still unsure how to use with apps if the icon doesn't appear.

• sheeleyb
    sheeleyb
    Community Member
    Options

After further research, the issue isn't whether your tool works, it's really about the fact that very few (and hardly any meaningful social apps) support/integrate the 1Password code at all. Of all the apps I use only Twitter supports 1Password t the log in prompt. Not exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for the support nonetheless.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @sheeleyb

Thanks for the update. We have a list of the apps that we're aware of that support password managers, and specifically 1Password, here:

AgileBits Blog | Apps ❤ 1Password

We're happy to help any developers that are interested in adding support, and we even provide all of the code necessary to do so:

GitHub - AgileBits/onepassword-app-extension: 1Password Extension for iOS Apps

If there are apps you'd like to see support password management please feel free to send the above links to them. :) At the moment it doesn't appear Instagram, Wordpress, or LinkedIn have support. But we'd be happy to help them add it if they are interested!

In the mean time, or if they do not wish to add support, it is possible to copy & paste credentials from the 1Password app into these apps. That way you can still use secure and unique passwords for them. It isn't quite as convenient as if they had support for the extension but it is still very workable.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.