The Process of updating the old passwords while entering the current one [Feature Request?]

illusion3
illusion3
Community Member

Hi,

The lovely 1password makes a very good effort to smooth out the process of updating the passwords with offering to save\update the new login:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

However the pain nowadays comes from the actual websites asking to submit the current password first, before entering the new one, thus forcing the user to manually copy the current password from 1Password first.

I am not technical at all, but if 1pass had an extra shortcut option to "Not Submit" the current login[fill only] in addition to universal always/never submit, this process would become a lot easier. Same idea with the keyboard shortcut to fill "1password generated password".

1Password Version: 5.6.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• mishamsk
    mishamsk
    Community Member

Great idea indeed!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @illusion3,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your idea for how we can improve the process of updating login passwords!

Just to make sure I understand what you're saying: Do you mean that you use the 1Password extension to fill your current password on the 'change password' form of a website, and because auto-submit is enabled, it tries to submit that form before you're able to enter the new password?

If so, that's likely why the 'Change your passwords and make them stronger' article suggests copying/pasting your current password (instead of having the extension try to fill it for you). By using copy/paste to do that, you can ensure the password is put into the correct field of that form, and also make sure the form won't be automatically (and prematurely) submitted.

However, if you don't want to copy & paste your current password and would prefer to have the extension fill it for you, you can temporarily disable auto-submit by holding down the option key when selecting that Login item from the extension. If you do that, it should fill the current password but won't submit the form, so you'll have the chance to generate and enter the new password.

Same idea with the keyboard shortcut to fill "1password generated password".

I'm not sure what you mean - when you use the password generator in 1Password mini, you need to click the 'Fill' button to have it filled in the new password field(s) of the 'change password' form. Are you trying to use a keyboard shortcut at that point?

• illusion3
    illusion3
    Community Member

Hi Drew,

The simple idea here to replace these steps with keyboard shortcuts, the same way that "CMD + \" executes "Fill Login on current web page." So:

...it should fill the current password but won't submit the form, so you'll have the chance to generate and enter the new password.

Let's have an optional keyboard shortcuts, CMD + A as an example, to achieve that. I know if Option key is used while clicking the login item from the extension, same result will be achieved, but the whole point of having keyboard shortcuts is to make doing things easier.

when you use the password generator in 1Password mini, you need to click the 'Fill' button to have it filled in the new password field(s) of the 'change password' form.

Let's have an optional keyboard shortcuts, CMD + B for example, to achieve that too. The shortcut will automatically generate the password according to user's already set parameters, and fill the fields with/without copying the generated password to the clipboard.

So simply:

CMD+\

CMD+A

CMD+B

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@illusion3, thank you very much for elaborating on that! I understand exactly what you mean now. As someone who also loves making things easier by using keyboard shortcuts, I can understand how that would be helpful for you. I can't make any promises about if/when we might add shortcuts for those steps, but I can forward your request/suggestion to our developers to let them know.

For now, there are a couple possible workarounds for the 'current password' field. One is to use the ⌘\ shortcut - that might submit the form, but if your current password is still entered in that field (like in your first example), you can simply continue with the steps to fill the 'new' and 'confirm' fields. Alternately, you can use the ⌥⌘\ shortcut to open 1Password mini, highlight the Login item by using the arrow keys (if necessary), then use the ⌘⇧C shortcut to copy the password. If focus is in the 'current password' field, you can then use the normal ⌘V shortcut to paste it there.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a workaround for using a keyboard shortcut to fill the generated password. For that, you'll need to click the Fill button, or click on the password and highlight it in order to copy/paste.

Hopefully we can make this all easier for you in the future. If you need anything else, please let us know! :)

• illusion3
    illusion3
    Community Member

Drew,

Thanks for the suggestions. Looking forward to next releases.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! We're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.