Is there an upgrade guide [Not yet as 1Password 6 is not an upgrade to 1Password 4 + Local Vaults]

MatthewPackwood
MatthewPackwood
Community Member
edited November 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have 1Password 4 for Windows, and the latest versions (6?) for Mac and iPhone, I use DropBox to sync.... Is there a guide on how to upgrade to 1Password 6 for Windows (and of course how I upgrade my other devices)?

Matt

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited November 2016

Hi @MatthewPackwood,

Thanks for writing in.

1Password 6 for Windows is not yet an upgrade for 1Password 4 and if you're using a local vault file via Dropbox, 1Password 6 does not support it. It can read the local vault files for you but it cannot modify it yet. Full support for local vault files is coming in the near future but we don't have a timeframe on this. Right now, 1Password 6 for Windows is offered as a Windows app to 1Password.com customers.

For now, I'd suggest sticking with 1Password 4 as you have now, it is fully compatible with 1Password 6 for Mac/iOS. We will have an upgrade guide once 1Password 6 for Windows has full support for local vault files and we'd start offering it as an upgrade to 1Password 4.

• MatthewPackwood
    MatthewPackwood
    Community Member

OK, I was curious, I am not wed to the local vault idea but wanted to see where the road lay.... Will the plug-in / helper mechanism for PC be changing in 1Password 6 for Windows (as the current mechanism is problematic with my corporate IT security set-up)....

• Hi @MatthewPackwood,

If you're referring to the websocket/localhost communication stack, it has not changed in 1Password 6 at this moment. It won't always be like this, we are investigating and testing a different stack right now and if it works, it will be much better than the websocket-based one.

• MatthewPackwood
    MatthewPackwood
    Community Member

@MikeT yes, that is what I was referring to, I have been having problems with that with my new employer, I also remember some issues with the Mac version and McAffee for Mac a year or so ago.

• Hi @MatthewPackwood,

Sadly, the third-party AVs continues to get more invasive and breaking more apps lately, not just 1Password.

• spacemn_spiff
    spacemn_spiff
    Community Member

Is there a time frame when 1Password 6 for Win 7 will be compatible with Dropbox vaults?

• Hi @spacemn_spiff,

No ETA yet on full local support in 1Password 6, it's near the top of our list to implement soon.

This discussion has been closed.