Firefox extension installation loop

Options
thrint
thrint
Community Member

So this has happened on 3 computers, two MacOS laptops with all the latest patches and a Win10 PC. All in Firefox.

Sometimes when I launch the browser I get the dialog to update the 1Password browser extension:

"The 1Password extension requires an update to continue working in Firefox..."

If I click on either button "Not Now" or "Update now" the dialog box returns immediately. I have to click "not now" several times for it to go away. And even then after updating the extension the dialog returns, over and over again.

I've made a quick .mov of the activity but the forum does not seem to allow attachments...

Steve

1Password Version: 6.5.2 (652002) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.5.9
OS Version: Mac OS 10.12.1 (and Win 10)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thrint,

I'm sorry you're having an odd problem with that extension update dialog in Firefox!

You said you click 'Not Now' several times in order to dismiss that dialog. What if you click the 'Update now' button several times instead? Does that dismiss the dialog and try to update the extension? You said you have version 4.5.9 of the 1Password extension installed, which is older, so if you're tried to update it, it sounds like the update isn't working.

The latest version of the extension is currently 4.6.2. If Firefox is unable to install the update for some reason, please remove the old extension from Firefox by following the steps here: How to remove the 1Password browser extension

Then you can install the latest extension from our extension download site: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

Does that help? If you're still having trouble with that, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

• thrint
    thrint
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, when I click "update now" it keeps opening the web page to install the browser extension.

HOWEVER, I am happy to report that manually removing it from firefox and then downloading a fresh copy worked.

thank you!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news, I'm glad that took care of the problem and that it's working now! Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.