Feature Enhancement: Ordering the Closely Matching Entries List

Options

I have the "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" option checked, so when I press "cmd + /" the browser shows a list of all closely matching. I think it would be best if this list was ordered, or at least prioritized exact matches in the list. An example: I have entries for the following two domains:

a.uc.edu
p.uc.edu

When I am on p.uc.edu and press "cmd + /" I see a list showing the entries organized alphabetically, as opposed to showing the exact match on the top. In this simple example its not an issue, but as the number of entries grows, this becomes a problem. I think this would be a simple but very useful enhacement

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @diego898,

I'm wondering if you really want that option enabled. Let's use your example. If you have that option enabled you will always be forced to choose between those two entries for the a and p subdomains regardless of which you are on. If you have the option disabled though when you are on the a subdomain ⌘\ will always fill using the a.us.edu Login item and vice versa. If you're on another domain like z.us.edu then 1Password will show the 1Password mini menu as there isn't an exact match and there is more than one Login item for the domain.

The way that option works is it completely ignores subdomains and that's why the Login items aren't showing what feels like a more obvious ordering. With the option disabled the sorting does go by the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) before then sorting by title and favourite flag.

I've written this because more often than not people don't really want the behaviour that option brings, at least that's my experience anyway. So I'm wondering if the "solution" is to learn why you use it and whether 1Password's behaviour with it disabled might not be more what you're after.

• diego898
    diego898
    Community Member
    Options

I enabled that option due to some difficulties with my university login system. I just dont understand that why with that option enabled, exact matches arent prioritized over partial matches

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@diego898: Sorry for the confusion there! As lil bobby mentioned, "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" is designed specifically to ignore all but the TLD:

The way that option works is it completely ignores subdomains and that's why the Login items aren't showing what feels like a more obvious ordering. With the option disabled the sorting does go by the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) before then sorting by title and favourite flag.

Obviously in your specific use case this is not the behaviour you want, but we can't really have it both ways. I'm not sure this is something we'll change, as many people appreciate it the way it is, and having a third login matching option (as opposed to just an on/off toggle) would further complicate things. I think the fact that you're already confused by its behaviour, we have trouble explaining it, and have renamed the option multiple times to try to make it clearer speaks volumes.

That said, it's certainly something we'll continue to evaluate. If we can come up with something that's clearer, more useful, and easier to use, I think that would help a lot of folks as well. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

This discussion has been closed.