I want to move away from Dropbox and iCloud to services that are not subject to US Privacy issues...

Options
amcd
amcd
Community Member

I am looking at Zero Knowledge based cloud systems like SYNC.com in Canada or TRESORIT in Europe... These provide better privacy than the more or less open Dropbox and iCloud and other US based services.

While I can define a Folder for "1Password Sync" on my Mac to either a SYNC or Tresorit folder (works fine); I cannot do this on my IOS devices. So I am currently stuck with the USA based services. I know the op vault is highly encrypted but I would like my iPhone/iPads to follow me away from Dropbox/iCloud....

Any chance of this happening soon?

Best regards... amcd

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: MacOS 10.12.1 & IOS 10.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Sync.com

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @amcd,

Thanks for taking the time to write in with this concern. We do not have any definite plans at this time to support additional 3rd party cloud services. That said, our own 1Password.com account services may meet your requirements. You can read about the security features (in great detail) here:

1Password Security Design White Paper

One key highlight is that your data is encrypted using both your Master Password and your Account Key, and neither of those items is ever transmitted.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Jesse_the_K
    Jesse_the_K
    Community Member
    Options

The White Paper says you use AWS servers, which would be subject to US law. I am interested in removing my data from the reach of any US law.

• Ben
    Options

@Jesse_the_K,

That is correct, however as the paper also explains even if we were forced to turn over the entire contents of our servers (or if someone where able to get their hands on it otherwise) someone would still need both your Master Password and your Account Key in order to do anything with that information. We have neither of those pieces of information, and so no attack (or force of government) against AgileBits could cause those to be revealed.

Ben

• Jesse_the_K
    Jesse_the_K
    Community Member
    Options

Got it! Thanks for the reassurance.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome.

What the Account Key does and how it works are outlined in further detail here:

About the Account Key

:)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.