Merge 2 Keychains that have gotten out of sync on MACBOOK PROS

Options
abc88tan
abc88tan
Community Member

My wife and I have shared Agilekeychain syncing through Dropbox for many years. Recently, she got a new MacBook pro (ver 10.10.5 Yosemite with 1PW 6.5.2, 1PW Ext 4.6.2). I have a MBP ver10.12.1 Sierra, 1PW 6.5.2, 1PW Ext 4.6.1, and somehow our keychains got disassociated and we have different entries after a certain point. I think it may be because she is saving to an agilekeychain in a dropbox folder on her computer but the dropbox folder doesn't actually have an associated dropbox account loaded on her computer? I would load my dropbox account on her computer but I'm concerned that it will delete her keychain and lose her data. How can I merge the two keychains back together so we are again in sync with all our data?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: OS X
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:sync two keys

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @abc88tan,

I'm sorry you and your wife ran into some trouble syncing/sharing a vault via Dropbox! I'm sure we can help to get this all straightened out.

I think you may have pinpointed the problem here:

I think it may be because she is saving to an agilekeychain in a dropbox folder on her computer but the dropbox folder doesn't actually have an associated dropbox account loaded on her computer?

Do you mean that, on her Mac, the vault in 1Password is syncing to a folder named "Dropbox", but that folder isn't actually connected to her Dropbox account? If that folder isn't being synced between her Mac and her account on Dropbox.com, that would definitely explain the problem.

Does she have the Dropbox app installed on her new Mac? If so, is she signed into her account from the Dropbox app's settings? If Dropbox is installed and running, she can check the settings by clicking the Dropbox icon in the menubar at the top of the screen, then clicking on the ‘gear’ icon in the corner of that window and choosing Preferences.

Please let us know how (or if) Dropbox is set up on her Mac and exactly where her copy of the .agilekeychain file is located, and we'll continue from there. Thanks in advance! :)

• abc88tan
    abc88tan
    Community Member
    Options

Dropbox is set up on her Mac under her Dropbox account and the agilekeychain (using my License) is in the Dropbox/1Password Folder. When I login to IPW 6 and go to License, it indicates that it's the license under my name and Purchase date. I had already signed up for 1 PW for Families in the past but did not execute it yet. Can this be solved by going to 1PW for Families?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @abc88tan,

I apologize for the delayed response here! Thanks for the additional details about Dropbox on your wife's Mac.

It sounds like you're wife's sync file is in this location on her Mac: ~/Dropbox/1Password/[vault name].agilekeychain (the ~ indicates her Mac user folder)

Please check the sync settings in 1Password on both Macs to see if they're both pointing to the exact same sync file in the same location in Dropbox on each Mac:

On your Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar.
    • Click the Sync tab, then select the shared vault on the left side of the window.
    • Make sure that vault is set to sync with Dropbox.
    • Check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox.

On your wife's Mac:

• Follow the same steps as above.

If both Macs show that the vault is syncing with the same sync file in the same location in Dropbox, then you'll need to check to make sure the folder containing that sync file is being shared between both Dropbox accounts. On your Mac, browse to your Dropbox folder from the Finder and find the folder containing the sync file (for example, it sounds like it might be the 1Password folder, unless you found something different in your own sync settings). Right-click on that folder and you should see some Dropbox options. If you see "Manage Access" that means you're sharing that folder - choose that option to make sure both your email address and your wife's email address are listed for the shared folder settings.

If you don't see "Manage Access" when you right-click on the folder that should be shared with your wife, you'll need to choose "Share" instead, and share that folder with your wife. In case it helps, you can find the steps to share a vault using Dropbox here: How to share a vault using Dropbox

Please let us know how that all goes and what you find! :)

Can this be solved by going to 1PW for Families?

Sharing a vault is definitely easier with 1Password Families. By default, each person who has their own access to that Families account will have a "Personal" vault (for items no one else should see) and a "Shared" vault (for items that should be shared with other members of that Families account). Anything you put in that Shared vault will be available to others in your Families account. If you're curious, we have more information about that here: Share passwords and other items with your whole family

If you'd like to start using a Families account to share a vault with your wife and need help to set that up, please let us know.

• abc88tan
    abc88tan
    Community Member
    Options

Thx. All the settings appear to be appropriate and now we are in sync. It looks like she blocked dropbox syncing outside her computer with Norton at some point and didn't realize it. This would have allowed her to access and add to the isolated 1PW agilekeychain version on her computer but not be synced up with the 1PW agilekeychain shared through the folder in the Dropbox cloud. I am signed up for 1PW Families but it's under an old email that's now defunct.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news, I'm glad it's syncing correctly for both of you now! Thank you for following up here to explain what the problem turned out to be. When something like that is preventing Dropbox from syncing the way it should, that can sometimes be tricky to track down.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you need more help or have any questions, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.