Settings lost on 1Password application update

Options
stuntboots
stuntboots
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi there,

I've upgraded the 1Password application a couple of times now (currently on 6.1.308d), and each time it forgets my account, forgets my Dropbox vault and forgets my preference for saving vault. Is this by design? It'd be great if this information could be retained across updates, as both times I've opened the program in a hurry not expecting it, and the reset has been at particularly inconvenient times.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.1.308d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Home 1607
Sync Type: 1Password for Teams

Comments

• Hi @stuntboots,

Thanks for reporting this.

This is absolutely not normal and in fact, this has not been reported in many months after we did the final database reset during the beta stage of development in the last summer. The only thing that could make sense is that you may have two separate versions of 1Password installed on your PC, one of which is very old. Can you open Control Panel and check the Uninstall Programs list to see if there is more than one version of 1Password installed?

If not, can you tell me if you use any program-cleaning tool on your system that may try to remove extra files if you uninstall a program?

All of your settings are stored in the same location as your 1Password database, updating 1Password does not touch that database, it only updates the app files in a separate app folder.

• stuntboots
    stuntboots
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT!

Thanks for the response! I've just checked my Uninstall Programs list, and only 1Password 6 is listed. I don't use any program-cleaning tools.

Thanks!

• Hi @stuntboots,

Can you email us your 1Password logs from Windows' Event Logs, it might give us some clues.

1. Click on the start button to search for Event Viewer, open it.
    2. On the left sidebar, expand Applications and Services Logs, 1Password should show up below here
    3. Right click on 1Password to select Save all events as and save it as 'logs.txt', set Save as Type to Text (tab delimited) (*.txt)
    4. Email that file to us at support+windowsbeta@agilebits.com and in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent the email, so we can confirm we got it.

• stuntboots
    stuntboots
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT,

Scratch that! I just went to open 1Password now, and only pressed (Windows key then) '1', where normally I'd start typing '1Pas..' and I did indeed have two versions installed, one was the Windows Store app! Did the Windows Store app prompt me to download 1Password 6? Because I don't recall ever making the switch.

Regardless, I've now uninstalled the Windows Store version, so hopefully that fixes the problem! Sorry about that! Though like I said, I feel like 1Password installed 6 itself from the Windows Store version and then never cleaned up the old one, is that possible?

While I've got you, the opening animation of 1Password 6 isn't nice and smooth like it used to be. Could be the size of my database? But I only see a few frames of the lock turn these days, so sad. :'(

• Hi @stuntboots,

Yes, there was an unintentional release of the internal desktop build via the Windows Store. We were going through an internal review to test something and it was never supposed to be released. Sadly, we couldn't undo it and had to remove it from the Store for new customers.

Yes, it would've required you to sign in again, in fact, remember what I said about the final database reset? That was related as the last update to the UWP was prior to the previous database reset.

While I've got you, the opening animation of 1Password 6 isn't nice and smooth like it used to be. Could be the size of my database? But I only see a few frames of the lock turn these days, so sad.

No, it's not related to your database, we're seeing it too with smaller databases now. We'll get that fixed soon.

• stuntboots
    stuntboots
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your help Mike!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad Mike was able to help! And we're here if you have any other questions, comments, or suggestions! :)

This discussion has been closed.