Just updated ( against my better judgement) to Version 6.5.2 TROUBLE!!

Options
susanmsparks
susanmsparks
Community Member

Just updated as noted above. I log into website, click on 1Password . It then wants me to either SEARCH or go into FAVORITES. I can do either and can see the site and the password but will not transfer the password to website so I can log in. Same thing happens if I try to log into website directly from 1Password.

With previous version ,I would log into website, click 1Password icon and the website would be displayed. Clicked on it, and the password would be transferred to website and I was in!
I have been using the version I had in this way without any problems. I believe when I went to update to this latest version it said I was 5 updates behind.

I postpone updating because it is ALWAYS a problem.
Please help. I am very frustrated!

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @susanmsparks,

I'm very sorry you're having trouble filling logins with 1Password after the latest update!

I haven't heard of this being a common problem in version 6.5.2. From your description, this sounds like something that might happen (in any version) if 1Password mini is unable to communicate with the browser extension. Something might be blocking that connection, or there might be a problem with the extension itself. Can you please let us know a few more details about your setup:

• What version of OS X / macOS are you running on your Mac?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What web browser are you using, and what version?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in your browser?
    • When you open a website and click on 1Password, do you click the 1Password icon in your web browser's toolbar, or the 1Password icon in your Mac's menubar?
    • If you're clicking the 1Password icon in your Mac's menubar, what happens if you click the 1Password extension icon in your browser's toolbar?
    • If you reboot your Mac and try again, does that seem to make any difference?

Thanks in advance! :)

• susanmsparks
    susanmsparks
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew. I will try to answer all your questions but I wont always understand the terminology. I am using Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Agile Bits store version. Safari 10.0 I just updated to 1password 6.5.2---which is how the problem started. I don't think I have the icon in my web browser toolbar? I can click on the icon on my Mac top toolbar ( this is a circle with a dark outline, gray in the middle with a key hole symbol in it ) or the icon on the bottom toolbar ( this is a white outer circle with an inner blue circle and key hole symbol in the middle) I have tried both methods with the same results. I have also rebooted my Mac but without success.
    I do not know if I have 1Password Mini or a browser extension .

Please note that all of these versions etc are the same and were working perfectly with my older version of 1password. All of the problems started when I did the 1Password update yesterday!!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @susanmsparks! I'm sorry for any confusion about the terminology I used. "1Password mini" is what we call the 1Password icon in your Mac's menubar - it's basically the brains behind 1Password. The "1Password extension" is a browser extension that allows 1Password mini to interact with websites. If the extension isn't installed in your browser (or if something is blocking communication between mini & the extension), 1Password won't be able to see what website you're viewing, or fill your login credentials, or offer to save new Logins, etc.

Normally, if the 1Password extension is installed in your browser, you should see a 1Password button in the browser's toolbar (it has the same icon as 1Password mini in your Mac's menubar). It sounds like you aren't seeing that, so it might be disabled or maybe is no longer installed. Please open Safari and go to Safari > Preferences from the menubar. Then click the Extensions tab in the preferences window. Do you see 1Password listed as one of the extensions there? If so, is it enabled (i.e. had a check mark next to it)?

If you see the 1Password extension listed there, click once on it to see the version number. If it shows 4.6.1 or 4.6.2, that's the latest, which is good. If it shows a lower version number, please let us know.

On the other hand, if you don't see the 1Password extension listed there, that means it's not installed. I don't know how or why that would have happened, but you should be able to install it again to solve the problem. To install it from the Safari Extension Gallery:

• Open Safari and go to the menu for Safari > Safari Extensions...
    • If 1Password is listed at the top, click on that (if not, you can search for it in the 'Search' field).
    • Click the Install now link.

Please let us know how it all goes and what you find, and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• susanmsparks
    susanmsparks
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew I checked as you instructed and 1password Version 4.6.1 is displayed there and has a check mark next to it.
    Any other ideas?

• susanmsparks
    susanmsparks
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew, It's Susan again. I just found some notes regarding the same problem with 1Password in June of 2016.( do not know if you keep a running record of emails) Around June 21,2016 I did an update with the same results. I could use my master password to get into 1 Password but could not get any passwords to auto fill on websites. That problem was associated with having to buy a new " license" Once I did that all worked perfectly. Just wanted you to have that info
    Thanks,
    Susan

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @susanmsparks,

Thanks for checking the extension! Although it's installed, up to date, and enabled, it sounds like you might not see the 1Password extension button in Safari's toolbar. In that case, please try the steps here: If you don't see the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar

Once you're able to get the extension button to appear in Safari's toolbar, does it work to fill your Logins? If not (or if you're unable to get the button to appear in Safari's toolbar), I'd like you to try uninstalling & reinstalling the extension by following these steps:

• Open Safari and go to Safari > Preferences in the menubar.
    • Click the Extensions tab, select the 1Password extension, and click the Uninstall button.
    • Quit Safari, then restart your Mac (important).
    • After your Mac restarts, follow the steps from my previous message to install the extension from the Safari Extension Gallery.

By the way, I looked up your email conversation from last June, and that seems to have been a different issue. But thank you for mentioning it, sometimes knowing about things like that can be very helpful for us! :)

Let me know how it all goes - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! ;)

• susanmsparks
    susanmsparks
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew I think I do have the extension button in the Safari toolbar. the top bar on my Safari screen shows SAFARI FILE EDIT etc on the left and then on the right it shows the 1password icon , wi fi, battery etc . Is this what you are referring to. I will try to uninstall and reinstall the extension now

• susanmsparks
    susanmsparks
    Community Member
    Options

Drew, I just uninstalled and reinstalled and all seems to be working now. I did not check all of my logins , but the few I checked seem ok. I will continue to use and see if all goes well.

Thank you so much. I am always amazed at how clear and concise your instructions are. Any terminology problems are all mine !

Thanks,
    Susan Sparks

• susanmsparks
    susanmsparks
    Community Member
    Options

Drew , one more question. I just added a new website with a required online ID and password. Normally when I do this I get a message from 1 Password asking " do you want to save in 1 Password". I have tried 3 times and each time I have to input info manually.

• susanmsparks
    susanmsparks
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again, I just tried saving it manually using the " gear Icon" in 1Password to no avail. Now it's entirely possible I am doing something wrong but I just watched the tutorial for manually adding password

• susanmsparks
    susanmsparks
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I was able to save login info manually but still cannot get the auto save message

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @susanmsparks,

It sounds like there's been some progress, so that's good news! :)

Just to quickly clear up some confusion:

I think I do have the extension button in the Safari toolbar. the top bar on my Safari screen shows SAFARI FILE EDIT etc on the left and then on the right it shows the 1password icon , wi fi, battery etc . Is this what you are referring to.

That's actually your Mac's menubar - on the left, you'll see menus for the app you're currently using, and on the right you'll see icons for certain settings and apps on your Mac. In that menubar, the 1Password icon you see is "1Password mini". You should see it there no matter what app you're using.

When you're using Safari, the top of the Safari window will have its own set of tools/buttons (not the top of the entire screen, but just the top of the current Safari window). That's the Safari toolbar, and it includes things like the website address bar, left/right arrows to go to the previous/next page, and probably a few others. When the 1Password browser extension is installed, you should see a 1Password button in Safari's toolbar - it looks just like the 1Password mini icon, but will be in Safari's toolbar instead of the Mac's menubar.

It's not a big deal now since you were able to get the extension working (mostly), but I thought that might help for future reference.

I just uninstalled and reinstalled and all seems to be working now.

Awesome! :) I'm glad 1Password is filling your logins correctly now.

I just added a new website with a required online ID and password. Normally when I do this I get a message from 1 Password asking " do you want to save in 1 Password". I have tried 3 times and each time I have to input info manually.

Hmm, that's strange - but it's possible that specific site is doing something differently with their sign-in page that prevents 1Password from working correctly there.

I just tried saving it manually using the " gear Icon" in 1Password to no avail.

You read my mind! ;) That would have been my next suggestion. After filling the username/password field and clicking the 'gear' icon in 1Password mini, did you choose the "Save new Login" option? If so, those are the correct steps to manually save a new Login. If nothing happened when you did that, it could be that 1Password doesn't work with that specific site. Would you mind letting us know the address for that website? We can try testing that site on our end to see if we can figure out what's going on there.

Ok I was able to save login info manually but still cannot get the auto save message

Do you mean you clicked the 'gear' icon in 1Password mini, chose the "Save new Login" option, and a 1Password window opened to let you save a new Login? Or do you mean you created a new Login item directly in the main 1Password app?

• susanmsparks
    susanmsparks
    Community Member
    Options

Drew I rebooted and everything seems to be working properly now.
    Thank you so much for all your help

Susan Sparks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news! A simple reboot can do wonders, and I'm happy that seems to have solved this issue for you. I hope everything continues to work perfectly for you from now on, but if you run into more trouble with 1Password or have any questions, you know where to find us. ;)

This discussion has been closed.