Help Recovering 1Password4 data

nkeesee
nkeesee
Community Member

My daughter's Macbook had a hard drive death. I replaced the drive and installed 10.12.1, restored her data from a cloud backup, and the newest version of 1password (6). I also added her to my new online 1 password family account. I thought I could just import her data file in to the new version of 1 password. However, when I try to import the data in ~Library/Application Support/1Password4 the new version will not import it. Can someone help with telling me where 1 password 4 stores its data file (she did not sync it) and how I can get 1 password 6 to import it?

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: none

Comments

• Hi @nkeesee ,

If you downloaded 1Password from the AgileBits web site, that is where the data should be located. You don't "import" it per se. When you launch the app, that's where it looks for the data. As long as the data is still in that location, 1Password will just read it.

If you downloaded 1Password from the Mac App Store, it looks for data in ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data

So, if that is not working out, what is happening when your daughter starts 1Password? Does it not have the lock window asking for her Master Password? Or does it ask her to set it up as if it were new?

Regards,
    Kevin

• rcw12
    rcw12
    Community Member

I am having a similar issue to the second question the OP raised. I recently upgraded from 1password 4 to 1password 6 and signed up for a family account. I then erased my old vaults to minimize clutter (https://support.1password.com/starting-over/?mac), but didn't realize there were certain things (wifi passwords, identities, etc) that did not migrate when I did my original upgrade. I have these data in a .1p4_zip backup file that I now need to get into my new 1password6. However, when I try to 'Import' this file, it is greyed out and thus I am unable to select it. Please advise, thanks.

• nkeesee
    nkeesee
    Community Member

Thank you for the follow up. I deleted the 1password 6 install and tried again. The second time it came right up as you describe and everything worked fine. Not sure what happened, but we are good and I appreciate the response.

• Hi @rcw12 ,

A backup file can not be imported, but you can restore to it. When you do, it will completely replace anything in non-account vaults (e.g. your Primary vault) with whatever is in the backup file. Your account vaults will not be touched, but you may have to sign into your account again in the Accounts preferences.

To restore, go to File > Restore… and click Find Backup. Then open the zip file. 1Password will quit, and upon restart you will see whatever is in the backup file. So I recommend choosing the backup file with a date just before you upgraded.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Regards,
    Kevin

• rcw12
    rcw12
    Community Member

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. I am now running version 6.5.2, which does not have the 'Restore' option in the 'File' menu. My only options in the 'File' menu are 'New Item', 'New Login', 'Import', 'Export' and 'Print'. Do I need to somehow install a previous version of 1password? I purchased my original copy from the MacApp store...

Thanks,

Rob

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rcw12,

Sorry for the confusion! If you're signed into your account in the 1Password app and don't currently have any local vaults, there are a few menu options you won't see because they don't apply to your account vaults.

What you'll need to do is go to 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and enable the option for "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". That will create a new local/Primary vault which is separate from your account. Once you've done that, you should be able to follow Kevin's steps to restore from your backup file. Remember that after you restore from that backup, you'll need to sign into your 1Password.com account again (from 1Password > Preferences > Accounts).

Does that help? If you're still having trouble with that, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• rcw12
    rcw12
    Community Member

Drew,

That worked! Thanks!

Rob

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome, I'm glad that was helpful! Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully you're all set now, but if you need anything else, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.