FireFox - the addon could not be downloaded because of a connection failure

Options
p1inorbit
p1inorbit
Community Member

firefox tells me i need to update the 1password extension however I can only get to the error message "the addon could not be downloaded because of a connection failure"
The only recent to changes to my computer and network are -

Connected by airport extreme for wifi

Update to osx Sierra

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:the addon could not be downloaded because of a connection failure macos sierra

Comments

• Lairy
    Lairy
    Community Member
    Options

do you use proxy?

• p1inorbit
    p1inorbit
    Community Member
    Options

I dont know, the only change is i connect to the internet via wifi through an airport express connected to a bt homehub

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @p1inorbit,

I'm sorry you're getting an error when Firefox tries to update the 1Password extension!

I don't know if the recent change to your internet connection is related to the problem or if that's just a coincidence. How did you previously connect to the internet?

It will help if you can let us know a few additional details about your setup:

• What exact version of Firefox are you using?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is currently installed in Firefox?
    • Do you have any ad-blocking extensions installed in Safari, or other extensions which might block certain connections?
    • If you quit Firefox, reboot your Mac, then open Firefox again, do you still get the error about updating the extension?
    • Do you use 1Password with any other browsers? If so, do they have any trouble installing the latest extension update?

Thanks in advance! :)

• setek
    setek
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,

I'm not on a proxy, have used this same computer, same internet connection to update Chrome and Safari's 1Password extensions. Running Firefox 50.1.0, OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, current 1Password extension is 4.4.3, AdBlockPlus is disabled on agilebits pages, error is persistent no matter the reboot of computer or restarts of app, and 1Password extension works in Chrome (55.0.2883.95) and Safari (10.0.2 (11602.3.12.0.1))

No matter what I do, try install, hit the install button or hit the install from the alternate location, I always get the same "connection error."

Also, as soon as you click the "Update Now" or "Not Now" buttons on the "Update the 1Password extension" popup, it immediately comes back. Over and over and over.

Thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @setek,

I'm sorry to hear this has been a problem for you! Instead of trying to update the older extension, please try removing it from Firefox, then restart Firefox and see if you can install the latest version from our extension download site.

Do you still get the same error when you do that? If so, you can try downloading the Firefox extension from a different browser and then install it in Firefox:

• Open the following link in Safari (or Chome): https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions
    • Click the Show all extensions link.
    • Click the Install button for Firefox in order to download the extension.
    • Find the downloaded .xpi file in your Downloads folder and drag it into a Firefox window.
    • Firefox should ask if you want to install the extension - click Install.

If you have trouble dragging the extension into a Firefox window, you can double-click the .xpi file that you downloaded. It should give you the option to Choose Application, and when you click that, a dialog will open so you can pick Firefox (if Firefox is grayed out, change the "Enable" popup menu to All Applications, and then you'll be able to choose Firefox).

Please let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• setek
    setek
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

Thanks for the quick reply! I tried completely uninstalling it from Firefox, restarting both Firefox and 1Password (including force quitting 1Password mini) and it didn't work.

I did use Chrome to download the .xpi and then dragged it into Firefox, and that installed successfully :)

Thanks!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @setek

On behalf of Drew, you're so very welcome! I'm glad that his suggestion helped! I'm sorry it was such a hassle but all is up and running for you know and that's the great news! I hope everything works well for you from now on with 1Password but if you ever need us again, you know where to find us :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.