Feature Request: InputStick Integration

I currently use an InputStick to enter my password into computers or devices (which support USB keyboards) without installing 1Pass on them. It is a little complicated as I have to run the InputStick app, then use the 1Pass keyboard to login to 1Password and select the proper username and login. Even with the additional steps it is very handy to have an error-free option to enter a 32-character password on any computer screen.

It is especially useful when setting up the OS on new computers. I can use it to login to dropbox or even my AppleID when setting up a new Macbook pro.

I have also used it on devices like the ROKU. The bluetooth-enabled USB dongle appears to be a USB keyboard to any device it is plugged into.

InputStick has an API to allow integration of the functionality into other apps. It would be nice to have the option to send any of the fields such as login or password to the InputStick device directly from the Android/iOS 1Pass app or keyboard.

It could also be a potent differentiator from the other password manager applications. One doesn't alway want to install 1Pass on a device for a single login.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

That's a very interesting idea, @palikari. This is the first I have heard of InputStick before, but it looks rather neat from a quick glance. I definitely understand that you might not want to go through the process of installing 1Password on a machine you're only going to use for a few minutes.

One thing I would caution is that if you don't trust the machine you're using, you shouldn't do anything remotely sensitive whether you're using InputStick or not. While their FAQ mentions the risk of the radio waves being intercepted, I would also be concerned about keyloggers on the machine you're using as well since the InputStick device merely mimics a USB keyboard. If someone other than you has control over the machine, your use of that machine needs to be governed by how much you know and trust that person. I might well use something like this at my mom's house to use my own 1Password data rather than hers but I would almost certainly not trust a computer in an internet cafe when I'm traveling in another country, for instance. If I were using a computer I don't trust, I would sign in, do what I need to do very very quickly, sign out and then tell the site I forgot my password so I could get a reset link in my email.

That being said, our development plate is chock full right now with bug fixes and new features, so this would rate pretty far down on our list of priorities right now since this is the first request for it as far as I know. But, if it becomes a widely requested item, we could definitely revisit it. As we're fond of saying here, no decision is permanent. :)

Thanks again for sharing this with us. If you need anything else, you know where to find us.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• palikari
    palikari
    Community Member

I agree that it does not protect you from keyloggers and should not be used on any untrusted machine.

I set up a number of new computers each month and it significantly eases the process of installing OSX and 1Password on each machine. I use both a complex password and 2 factor authentication on Dropbox so typing in the password manually for the initial 1password setup was a pain. Apple also requires your AppleID & password to download and install software.

It also gives me the option of using 1pass on other devices like linux, Roku, Raspberry PI, etc.

My wife uses it at her teaching job to login to Netflix on the school computers and show the students videos. Prior to using the InputStick, she wanted to use a simple password. She can even use it on the "secure" machines as it just appears to be a keyboard to the OS.

I love the 1pass app so I am happy that it is being actively developed. I have been demonstrating the InputStick to everyone that I convinced to use 1password so maybe we will see a critical mass of users requesting the InputStick functionality one day. In the meantime it just takes a few extra steps but it works ok as it stands today.

Thanks again for the excellent product.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for elaborating on those use cases, @palikari. It's useful to know the situations you're finding InputStick to fill a valuable role in order for us to consider how 1Password might embrace it as well in the future.

This discussion has been closed.