Safari extension download won't open: message says Safari can't install the downloaded extension

Options

Running versions of 1Password 6.5.2 and Safari 10.0.1

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Safari extension download won't open: message says Safari can't install the downloaded extension

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's really strange, @mikeshelc. We have heard of a few situations where extensions won't install if there is already one in place. Could you check your extensions list at Safari > Preferences > Extensions? It's also possible that there's an extension file in Safari's files that isn't showing up in the list, so also check ~/Library/Safari/Extensions.

Once you have verified there are no extensions in place, does the install work? If not, are you trying to install from our site or from Apple's? Does it make a difference if you try the other option?

Thanks!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• noelmcrae
    noelmcrae
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem - and it is getting very obnoxious. Just started today. I have the extension installed, but the upgrade reminders are really a pain. I am about ready to uninstall 1password because of the constant intrusion.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @noelmcrae,

By any chance did you recently install an update to 1Password and you're now getting a message about updating the extension? If so can you try the following please.

1. Uninstall the 1Password Browser Extension currently installed.
    2. Restart the browser.
    3. Install the most recent version from our page 1Password Browser Extensions.

At least with Safari it won't let you install a duplicate extension but doesn't seem to recognise when you're trying to update an existing one. It's an annoyance but once you install the latest version Safari should update it automatically via Apple's Safari Extension Gallery.

If it's something else can you say what upgrade reminders you're seeing please as this is the only one I can think of at the moment.

• noelmcrae
    noelmcrae
    Community Member
    Options

I think that did it. Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great to hear @noelmcrae :smile: Hopefully everything runs smoothly now but if not please do let us know.

This discussion has been closed.