Stability issues with Chrome extension 4.6.2.90 on Mac?

Options
daviddillard
daviddillard
Community Member

Any known stability issues with the extension on Chrome and Mac? Just recently I started having problems with Chrome, e.g. I'd get an "Aw, Snap" on a new tab sometimes, Chrome wouldn't shut down - had to use Activity Monitor to force quit, etc. At first, I thought it was Chrome itself, but then I disabled all my extensions and the problem went away. Enabled one at a time and when I enabled the 1Password extension the problems started up again.

1Password Version: 6.5 (650034)
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daviddillard: Interesting. Chrome handles extensions itself, and each is sandboxed to an individual tab...so unless Chrome has a serious bug, it isn't possible for an extension to crash the app. That said, it may simply be that something is damaged. Definitely uninstall the 1Password extension, update Chrome, restart Windows, and install a fresh copy of the extension to see if that helps. And if it's still happening, be sure to tell me the exact steps so I can try to reproduce it. Let me know what you find!

• daviddillard
    daviddillard
    Community Member
    Options

It's never crashed. It just behaves in a variety of weird and unreliable ways. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension - still doesn't work correctly.. Chrome has had security updates applied, but I haven't done a reinstall yet.

Right now I don't have a reliable way to reproduce any of the issues. They happen, just not all the time.

• Uken2it
    Uken2it
    Community Member
    Options

I have just downloaded the latest update for 1Password extension 4.6.2. I keep getting the Update Now dialog box even when I choose download. I still download a 203k file which will not work and gets an error message Safari cannot install this update. I have rebooted and re-downloaded and it just repeats this behavior.

• Uken2it
    Uken2it
    Community Member
    Options

UPDATE: I uninstalled plugin launched 1 Password and it offered an update Mac OS 6.5.2. I did have a 6.5.? version already but all is well now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daviddillard: That sounds really annoying. Please keep us updated!

@Uken2it: It sounds like Safari wasn't letting the new extension install over the old one. I've seen that myself on occasion. Glad to hear it's working for you now!

• andrewchilds
    andrewchilds
    Community Member
    Options

Hello! I'm also seeing random weird behavior in Chrome when opening a new tab or clicking a link from another application. About 20% of the time, I'll either get an aww snap page, or just a blank page with the correct URL in the address bar. Also if I type a URL into the address bar and hit enter, about 20% of the time nothing happens. Hitting enter a second time will load the page.

OSX 10.11.6
    Chrome 56.0.2924.76 beta (64-bit)
    1Password 6.5.3 (653001)
    1Password Chrome Extension 4.6.2.90

I've already tried reinstalling the 1Password Chrome extension, to no avail. If I disable the 1Password Chrome extension, the above issues go away. If there is anything I can do to help debug this, please let me know.

Thank you for building a terrific product!

Andrew

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andrewchilds: That's the weirdest thing I've heard in a while. Are you experiencing the same issue with the stable version of Chrome? I haven't seen or heard of anything like that before. You might try reinstalling the 1Password extension, but really I'd start with Chrome, as that seems to be the only difference here. Let me know what you find!

• andrewchilds
    andrewchilds
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: thanks for your response! I tried uninstalling Chrome beta and installing Chrome Stable, Version 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit), but I'm still seeing these issues. Once I disable the 1Password Chrome Extension, the issues go away.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @andrewchilds,

Like Brenty, I haven't heard of a problem like this before, and I'm not sure why that would be happening. There are a couple general troubleshooting suggestions that might help, though. First, open the main 1Password app and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. If the problem still happens after that, please reboot your Mac and try again. Does that make any difference?

If not, do you have other extensions installed in Chrome? I'm wondering if there could be a conflict between 1Password and another extension. If you keep the 1Password extension enabled, but disable the others in Chrome, do the issues go away?

• andrewchilds
    andrewchilds
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG! I tried restarting 1Password mini through the main 1Password app, but that didn't resolve the issue.

The only other extension I have installed is Ghostery (7.1.2.3). I tried disabling Ghostery and the issues seem to have gone away! So it seems these issues only occur when both Ghostery and 1Password extensions are enabled.

Here are the versions again, for reference:

OSX 10.11.6
    Chrome Stable Version 56.0.2924.87
    1Password 6.5.3 (653001)
    1Password Chrome Extension 4.6.2.90
    Ghostery 7.1.2.3

Thanks!
    Andrew

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andrewchilds: Do you have custom settings in Ghostery? I know a number of us use it, and it seems to not have trouble coexisting with 1Password using the defaults. Or there may be some interaction with something else as well. Let us know what you find! /cc @sjk

This discussion has been closed.