To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Suddenly my 1password would not unlock

Options
grajay
grajay
Community Member
edited December 2016 in Memberships

So I've been using 1password without an issue but today it all went awry.

I also have 1password on my iphone which works perfectly using my original old master password.

I did some searching on the forum and decided to start over, and now I have a working 1password app, but empty of logins etc on my desktop. I tried to sync with my icloud vault. When using sync the app detects the latest vault in icloud and then asks for the vault password. I thought this must be the icloud password, but clearly it isn't, so now I'm stuck in a halfway house. I can log in OK to icloud so clearly it's not the icloud password being asked for.

I also tried the new 1password app master password, but that didn't work either.

Graham

1Password Version: 6.5.2 (65202)
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: OS SIerra 10.12.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@grajay: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds like while you reset the 1Password app to start over, you've still got the same vault in iCloud. And if you don't now the correct Master Password, you won't be able to access that. However, if you have all of your 1Password data on a device (your iPhone?), you can clear the iCloud data so you can setup sync from scratch too. Just go to 1Password Settings > Advanced > Erase iCloud Data. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• grajay
    grajay
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty - now I'm more confused. I thought that the vault on iCloud is the one I want to sync to. If I clear the iCloud data how will I then be able to sync with the data on my iPhone please? Sorry to sound a bit thick here.

• grajay
    grajay
    Community Member
    Options

Just to clarify things - I'm trying to sync to my iCloud. I start by selecting iCloud:

Then I move on to this screen

Then I click Start Syncing and get this:

and this is the password that is beating me. The password which matches the hint does not work, and so I'm at an impasse.

Thanks for any help you can give. Maybe I can export from my iPhone to my dropbox and try syncing to that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @brenty - now I'm more confused.

@grajay: Sorry. :(

I thought that the vault on iCloud is the one I want to sync to. If I clear the iCloud data how will I then be able to sync with the data on my iPhone please? Sorry to sound a bit thick here.

Ideally, yes .But if you don't know the Master Password, you won't be able to continue using that vault. That's why I suggested resetting and then syncing your existing data. Right now the vault in iCloud seems to be one you cannot access. In that case, it will be useless to you, and will prevent you from using iCloud to sync anything.

Thanks for any help you can give. Maybe I can export from my iPhone to my dropbox and try syncing to that?

You could use Dropbox instead. But that seems like a lot of extra work when it sounds like you'd prefer iCloud anyway. You just can't do anything with another vault in the way there.

• grajay
    grajay
    Community Member
    Options

OK - thanks @brenty - I'll just have to use my iPhone and copy each each password and site into an email and re-install it into my desktop app.

• On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome. Let us know if you have some other questions.

• grajay
    grajay
    Community Member
    Options

Well I managed to sync the iphone's content to my Dropbox, then synced to dropbox from my iMac - so I now have most of my passwords back. The version on my phone was 12 months old, but the vast majority of stuff is now OK. Huge relief.

Thanks once again for your help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@grajay: I'd say definitely try what I suggested: resetting the iCloud data so you can sync. Copying and pasting is not only tedious, but transferring sensitive information via an insecure channel like email is not great either.

This discussion has been closed.