Couldn’t connect to 1Password Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it

aadamyan
aadamyan
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

After running the application and adding the extension, everytime trying to open 1Password I get the following message.

"Couldn’t connect to 1Password

the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension."

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Couldn’t connect to 1Password Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension.

Comments

• Hi @aadamyan,

Thanks for writing in. I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue getting the 1Password extension to connect to 1Password.

Can you tell me what anti-malware solution you're using on your PC? 1Password extension needs to be able to connect on a localhost port where 1Password Helper/mini would be running and anti-malware solution sometime blocks that from happening.

Also, what version of 1Password are you using, is it 1Password 4 or 1Password 6?

• nhDOBsfc
    nhDOBsfc
    Community Member

@MikeT, I am having the same problem.
    Windows 10 with latest updates.
    1Password for Windows Desktop 6.2.328d Beta.
    Tried both the regular and the beta browser extensions for Chrome with reboots in between.

Noteworthy: Microsoft Windows downloaded two updates today, 12/14/2016:
    1. Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 (for x64-based Systems) (KB3209498)
    2. Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 x64 Edition - December 2016 (KB890830)

• nhDOBsfc
    nhDOBsfc
    Community Member

Third Windows update installed today:
    3. Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3206632)

• nhDOBsfc
    nhDOBsfc
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

Email sent to support+windows@agilebits.com.
    Diagnostics for 1Password v6.2.328d 1481764455.txt
    For your reference, your support ID is [#ASL-33281-641].

Using McAfee(R) Total Protection, Version 14.0, Release 14.0 R11
    McAfee SecurityCenter Version 15.0, Build 15.0.2063, last update 12/2/2016

• dar1p
    dar1p
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem. It started after the windows 10 update today.
    I'm using the standard windows defender.
    The error says "unidentified Publisher"

• itsupport
    itsupport
    Community Member

I am also having this problem after a Windows Update. Using the latest version of Firefox (50.1.0) and 1Password v6.1.308d. Uninstalling and reinstalling the extension hasn't helped. Disabling my AV (ESET Endpoint Antivirus) also hasn't resolved the issue. I get the same error stating "unidentified publisher, process ID 3680". Process 3680 is Firefox.

• nhDOBsfc
    nhDOBsfc
    Community Member

@Mike, it just started working again this morning. I got the two popops from the two components of 1Password to verify that the 6 digit numbers matched, and everything started working again.

• HS_
    HS_
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

I am also having this issue, also after the new Windows Update.
    Using Chrome 54.0.2840.99 (official build) m (64-bit) and the free version of avast.

The error says:
    Refusing helper connection from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" from port 61647 and origin chrome-extension://(hidden, just in case this is something sensitive), because of untrusted certificate.

Edit : I updated my browser and now it's working again!
    For anyone using Chrome, try going to chrome://help and force Chrome to check for updates and see if this resolves the issue.

• Hi guys,

For those of you who are seeing sudden blocked connection dialog and are using Chrome, this is due to Chrome silently updating itself and it was pending. That invalidates its code signature and trips our security system to block it out of the box. HS_ is correct on how to fix this: let it finish the update by going to chrome://help in the address bar and restart Chrome once it is installing.

However, this wouldn't affect Firefox, so that's a separate issue.

@Itsupport, can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report? Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• itsupport
    itsupport
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT

I've just sent the email as requested.

Thanks

• Thanks, we got the email and will reply as soon as possible.

ref: GIY-48723-915

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

I sent an email with the diagnostics report, too. Thank you!

• PanSola
    PanSola
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

Hi I also have the problem on Chrome, while it is functional with Firefox.

Chrome Version 55.0.2883.87 m
    1Password Version 6.1.308d
    both programs say they are up to date

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@PanSola: Did you send the diagnostics Mike requested? I'm not seeing anything under this address in our inbox. Just post the Support ID here and we'll track it down.

@southernforge: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: UED-55634-742

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member

Hi @brenty ,

I just emailed the original diagnostics report along with today's diagnostic report with the newer version installed.

Thanks,
    southernforge

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member

Hi @brenty ,

I just emailed the original diagnostics report along with today's diagnostic report with the newer version installed.

Thanks,
    southernforge

• cottonjb
    cottonjb
    Community Member

@HS_ , @MikeT, @nhDOBsfc

Thank you. I also encountered this after a recent Windows 10 Update (KB3206632). Chrome (54.0.2840.99 m) also failed to update the first attempt, saying:

An error occurred while checking for updates: Installation failed due to unspecified error. If Google Chrome is running, please close it and try again (error code 7: 0x80040902: 7 -- system level).

Resolving the Chrome issue made 1Password (6.1.308d) happy again.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@southernforge: Thanks! We'll get back to you shortly.

ref: UED-55634-742

I also encountered this after a recent Windows 10 Update (KB3206632). Chrome (54.0.2840.99 m) also failed to update

@cottonjb: Glad to hear it's working for you now at least. It's turtles all the way down! :lol:

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member

Hi @brenty is there any further information you need/want from me on this? Thanks :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@southernforge: Mike emailed you three days ago, but it sounds like maybe you missed it:

Open Chrome, click on the setting (three dots) icon on the top right to select Settings and then go to About. Let it complete the update and restart Chrome after that, 1Password should work.

Just restart Windows and you should be all set, but if you're still having trouble, be sure to let us know the Chrome version number you have. Let us know how it turns out!

This discussion has been closed.